Obama now has 34 Senators supporting the Iran Deal - GOP will not be able to block it

Obama secures Iran nuclear deal with Barbara Mikulski vote - CNNPolitics.com

In a major victory for President Barack Obama, Democratic Sen. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland announced support for the Iran nuclear deal Wednesday, providing the White House the votes it needs to prevent Republicans from scuttling the agreement.

The announcement means that at least 34 senators -- the number required by the Constitution to sustain a veto -- will back Obama's expected veto of a Republican resolution to disapprove of the deal. Mikulski is retiring at the end of her term.

While majorities of both the GOP-controlled House and Senate are poised to vote against the agreement, supporters of the multinational accord that aims to curb Iran's nuclear weapons program are also hoping to get the 41 votes needed to filibuster the bill and prevent it from even getting to a final vote in the Senate.

Secretary of State John Kerry said the administration will continue to try and push support for deal past the 34 votes they now have "until the last moment."

"Thirty-four votes are obviously enough votes for the president's veto to be upheld," Kerry told CNN's Christiane Amanpour. "That is not satisfactory for us. We do want to try to go further. We'll continue to persuade."

Obama's expected veto of the GOP effort to derail the Iran deal will therefore be sustained.

The GOP has lost this battle.

Traditionally, once the 34th vote comes on board, a couple of others do as well, so I expect this will climb to at least 36.

End of story.

As a Jew I am surprised you think this is a good thing.

Uhmmmm...

Jews are not monolithic and we are also split on this.
Since you know nothing of Jewry, I chalk up your answer to your usual ignorance.

I know a considerable amount about Jewry. One of my oldest friends gave Israel 100 million dollars in 1948 to buy weapons. He was Russian Jew and had more money than Rockefeller! Amazing man, very well educated and a good, good friend. I miss him dearly.

You're a good man, but all this guy caress about is whether Obama won or lost, What's some dead Israeli Jews, or dead Americans in the face of such an accomplishment

The GOP has lost this battle.

Yes. Obama has won it for the Iranian mullahs. He will no doubt be well rewarded by them.

Uhm, no.

But please, by all means, enjoy your endless butthurt over yet another GOP loss to Pres. Obama.

We'll haft to leave it to the next president to deal with(it's not going to be Hillary) the vast majority of congress is against the deal, American people are against the deal, world Jewry is against the deal, but all this moron can think about it, is Obama..... Obama didn't win anything

I must ask this of all of the liberals. This is an honest question.

Why would you be happy that we are striking a deal with a country that is a state sponsor of terrorism and is known to have sold weapons and such that have been used to kill our troops? They also held hundreds of Americans hostage illegally for 444 days? I'm curious how this equates to someone that you do business with. They didn't do one thing really bad and then never again, like Japan or Germany, they did many bad things and continue to this day. They say they want us and our allies wiped off the map.

So why grin when our president strikes a deal with a country like this? What is your rationale? What is your reasoning?

The reasoning was put forth in Pat Buchanan's column yesterday, which was quite good.

In 1973, Nixon went to China and reach an agreement with them. China had only 20 years earlier fought a war in Korea against us and were sponsoring the Vietnamese who we were fighting. BUt the reality was, they were people we had to deal with.

Yes, they held hostages, AFTER we had propped up a brutal dictator who murdered thousands of people.

We also supported Saddam's war against Iran from 1980 to 1988, and shot down an airliner full of civilians making a pilgramage to Mecca.

They have just as many legitimate beefs with us as we have with them.

Kinda backwards with the constitution..................
The Dems and Obama sold them Ice cubes in Alaska in the dead of winter..............
And the Rino's went along...............which is why they should have their heads mounted on a wall..............

And the left cheers...........as doing business as normal under the constitution need not apply with the pen and phone guy.................

And it will lead to Iran getting the bomb and ICBM's.............

Yep...........what a deal...................and let's go around the normal rules to get approval and put perfume on shit and say see it smells good.

Actually, it is a good deal. Iran suspends uranium enrichment and opens itself to inspection.

Since 1979, the Iranians have been the primary supporter of Terrorism in the world, they hate the US and they have basically announced they are coming for us. Kerry and Obama have signed a deal with the Devil.

No, you see the thing is, the Devil doesn't exist.

Iran does.

you might not like the fact they exist, but they do. And we have to reach agreements.

YOu see, Germany, France and Britain started these negotiations, we joined later. The rest of the world knows this is the best deal we are going to get, and they are going forward whether we throw a hissy or not.

Before that, they were the greatest and most stable ally that we had in the Muslim world. At a crucial time, the carter administration betrayed and abandoned the Shah of Iran, and stood by as he was overthrown, and that nation overrun by Khomeniacs. That marks the point where radical, violent islamism had the resources of an entire nation at its disposal, and the means to spread its diseased, corrupt ideology to other Muslim-dominated nations.

Nearly all of the trouble that we have had and will yet have with Islamist terrorism, is all because of this one horrific error on Carter's part. This is Jimmy Carter's lasting legacy.

Guy, there was nothing Jimmy Carter could do to save the Shah from his own people. The Shah fell because no Iranian thought he was worth dying for. Jimmy Carter was supposed to throw away American lives to save this guy?

As far as "Islamism", I would say that Reagan's funding of Bin Laden and the Muhajedin in Afghanistan did more to spread "Islamism" than the Iranian revolution did.

We'll haft to leave it to the next president to deal with(it's not going to be Hillary) the vast majority of congress is against the deal, American people are against the deal, world Jewry is against the deal, but all this moron can think about it, is Obama..... Obama didn't win anything

actually, the next president, even in the UNLIKELY event it's a Republican, isn't going to touch this deal because the rest of the world has already gone along with it.

The hypocrisy is that the Republicans KNEW this was the best deal we were going to get given the fact the rest of the world wasn't dancing to AIPAC's tune on Iran anymore. But they didn't want to give him a political point. So they signed off on this agreement that makes it impossible to undo, but they can still say, "See, my Zionist Masters, We tried!!!"

It's actually kind of pathetic.

I must ask this of all of the liberals. This is an honest question.

Why would you be happy that we are striking a deal with a country that is a state sponsor of terrorism and is known to have sold weapons and such that have been used to kill our troops? They also held hundreds of Americans hostage illegally for 444 days? I'm curious how this equates to someone that you do business with. They didn't do one thing really bad and then never again, like Japan or Germany, they did many bad things and continue to this day. They say they want us and our allies wiped off the map.

So why grin when our president strikes a deal with a country like this? What is your rationale? What is your reasoning?

Progressives hate the USA as presently constituted and gladly befriend the "Death to America" Crowd because they all want the same thing.

Before that, they were the greatest and most stable ally that we had in the Muslim world. At a crucial time, the carter administration betrayed and abandoned the Shah of Iran, and stood by as he was overthrown, and that nation overrun by Khomeniacs. That marks the point where radical, violent islamism had the resources of an entire nation at its disposal, and the means to spread its diseased, corrupt ideology to other Muslim-dominated nations.

Nearly all of the trouble that we have had and will yet have with Islamist terrorism, is all because of this one horrific error on Carter's part. This is Jimmy Carter's lasting legacy.

Guy, there was nothing Jimmy Carter could do to save the Shah from his own people. The Shah fell because no Iranian thought he was worth dying for. Jimmy Carter was supposed to throw away American lives to save this guy?

As far as "Islamism", I would say that Reagan's funding of Bin Laden and the Muhajedin in Afghanistan did more to spread "Islamism" than the Iranian revolution did.

I don't know if you're a pathological liar or a moron, possibly both

Duly noted you couldn't refute the points made.

Hey, I was around in 1979. No one was willing to send their kids out to die for the Shah. No one was willing to send their kids out to die to save the hostages.

Part of the reason Carter got bounced out on his ass was he re-instituted draft registration.

Duly noted you couldn't refute the points made.

Hey, I was around in 1979. No one was willing to send their kids out to die for the Shah. No one was willing to send their kids out to die to save the hostages.

Part of the reason Carter got bounced out on his ass was he re-instituted draft registration.

I won't bother with your lying antisemitic imaginary "points".

If you were around in 79 that can only mean you've been in mom's basement for 35 years

I feel safer already, especially since they will be self-inspecting per this joke of an agreement. What a deal for Iran, no limitations on Nuclear capability and hundreds of millions of Terror dollars we are handing over to them. You Liberals must be very proud.
You depend on the Nanny Government to feel safe ? ...LOL

440 Rabbis Now Urge Congress to Support Iran Nuclear Deal

The pressure on Congress continues to mount as 340 Rabbis have become 440, and only the gang who gave us the Iraq War support an Iran War.…

Since 1979, the Iranians have been the primary supporter of Terrorism in the world, they hate the US and they have basically announced they are coming for us. Kerry and Obama have signed a deal with the Devil.
Isis and al qaeda are the largest and most successful terrorist operations on the planet. They are fundamentally sunni Wahhabi which is also the state religion of Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is aligned with the US. Do you see where I'm going with this? Your remark about Iran being the primary supporter of terrorism in the world shows an unprecedented level of ignorance on your part. Besides, I thought Obama was the devil.

I won't bother with your lying antisemitic imaginary "points".

If you were around in 79 that can only mean you've been in mom's basement for 35 years

I think you are projecting, Cleetus.

Point was, no one wanted to send their kids off to die for the fucking Shah.

Because the cocksucker wasn't worth it. We should have handed him back to the Ayatollah's with a bow around his neck.

Isis and al qaeda are the largest and most successful terrorist operations on the planet. They are fundamentally sunni Wahhabi which is also the state religion of Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is aligned with the US. Do you see where I'm going with this? Your remark about Iran being the primary supporter of terrorism in the world shows an unprecedented level of ignorance on your part. Besides, I thought Obama was the devil.

I'm not sure you got anything right in that post. ISIS is not Wahhabi. Saudi Arabia is not a state sponsor of terrorism. Obama's beloved Iran is,

So, where do you want Iran to set the first Obamanuke off? Israel? Or are you hoping fly over country in the USA?

You can't be serious.

It was American support for the Shah that fomented anti-Americanism and contributed to the revolution and religious extremists taking control of the government.

Moreover, the Shah was installed by the CIA in 1953 and support for that regime was maintained by subsequent administrations, both democratic and republican, having little to do with Carter.

Problem with this is that when it bites us in the ass, and it will, the left is going to point at the republican majority and put full blame on them for it.
Its how they roll.
Just like when all the additional taxes and fees hit in 2016 with obamacare legislation, The new sitting republican president is going to take the blame for the financial crisis that the taxes cause.

Let's all congratulate the biggest loser of all ... Bibi Netanyahu. He gambled big, and lost big. What a humiliation.

A smart Prime Minister would have negotiated to get some concessions/treats from the USA in return for not opposing the deal. Now Bibi has no bargaining chip, and he gets nothing, and everyone visualizes a big "L" on his forehead.

Plus, he and his pals played the antisemite card so hard, it's lost all of its effectiveness. It no longer scares anyone.

Forum List

Back