Obama notifies Congress of troops sent to Libya, Yemen

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon

"Although these security forces are equipped for combat, these movements have been undertaken solely for the purpose of protecting American citizens and property," Obama said in a letter to Republican House Speaker John Boehner.

"These security forces will remain in Libya and in Yemen until the security situation becomes such that they are no longer needed," the president wrote.

But he earlier had ignored congressional calls to get formal congressional authorization under that law for U.S. military involvement in the NATO-led campaign to oust Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi, saying it was not required because Americans were not in danger, nor were they leading the mission.

Obama notifies Congress of troops sent to Libya, Yemen | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

good move by obama...but i find the dichotomy interesting

"Although these security forces are equipped for combat, these movements have been undertaken solely for the purpose of protecting American citizens and property," Obama said in a letter to Republican House Speaker John Boehner.

"These security forces will remain in Libya and in Yemen until the security situation becomes such that they are no longer needed," the president wrote.

But he earlier had ignored congressional calls to get formal congressional authorization under that law for U.S. military involvement in the NATO-led campaign to oust Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi, saying it was not required because Americans were not in danger, nor were they leading the mission.

Obama notifies Congress of troops sent to Libya, Yemen | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

good move by obama...but i find the dichotomy interesting

This is actually a good thing. It means Obama learned from that mistake, and is not repeating it by sending armed troops into another country without informing Congress, as the law requires.

Sorry, but I cannot fault Obama on this particular point.

Forum List

Back