Obama: Not Extending Middle Class Tax Cuts Could Hurt Growth

If we can't identify equivalent spending cuts, I would just as soon see none of the tax cuts extended. Borrowing money to cut taxes is moronic

Democrats do not want tax cuts, Obama is an asshole, a Marxist,

Imagine, Obama and the Democrats call doing nothing a tax cut. leaving taxes the same is a tax cut, only a Marxist

Maybe if you assholes repeat this enough everyone will believe.

How many threads now on Obama raising taxes, this is at least eight in 48 hours.

Collecting taxes that are unnecessary for or even harmful for the common good is even more moronic.

We're not talking about cutting taxes re the Bush tax policy, however, but not raising taxes. Extending the tax rates/policy for what the Administration describes as the 'middle class' will make some folks feel good but will do almost nothing to create new jobs for the unemployment or make any dent in what still feels like deep recession to most of us.

Extending the tax policy for everybody, however, will free up mega billions in small business capital and get the ball rolling again. Almost all small businesses who actually hire people make more than 250k.

Collecting taxes that are unnecessary for or even harmful for the common good is even more moronic.

We're not talking about cutting taxes re the Bush tax policy, however, but not raising taxes. Extending the tax rates/policy for what the Administration describes as the 'middle class' will make some folks feel good but will do almost nothing to create new jobs for the unemployment or make any dent in what still feels like deep recession to most of us.

Extending the tax policy for everybody, however, will free up mega billions in small business capital and get the ball rolling again. Almost all small businesses who actually hire people make more than 250k.

Bingo.

Let business know one way or the other what the hell is going to happen. If they know they will still have the same tax rates they will probably start spending that 2 billion they are sitting on.

The only question they will have left will be what Obamacare is gonna cost em.

Unfortunately, the HuffPuff readership don't think for themselves. Therefore, your logical and sensible post will float gently over their heads.

Bingo.

Let business know one way or the other what the hell is going to happen. If they know they will still have the same tax rates they will probably start spending that 2 billion they are sitting on.

Yes, Obamacare is the other piece of the puzzle right now. It won't help much to extend the current tax policy for say two years. Businesses do their long range planning 2 to 5 years and more out so they need some long term assurance of what the tax policy is going to be for them. And they also need to know what taxes, penalties, requirements they're going to have re Obamacare and right now nobody is telling them. Obamacare will need to be stopped cold indefinitely and, if possible, repealed as early as possible next year to give small business assurances about that too.

Fix those two things and I would bet a very good steak dinner that the economy will then take off like a rocket.

If we can't identify equivalent spending cuts, I would just as soon see none of the tax cuts extended. Borrowing money to cut taxes is moronic

Well, we know taking more money from the individual and transferring it to the state always spurs growth.

It most certainly will not hurt those "job creators." The Repugs, party of "fack the middleclass."

I thought the Bush tax cuts were only for the rich?

Now all you liberals want us to believe that Bush actually gave the middle class a tax cut?

I think it's time for some of you to get your stories straight.

Rick

Already covered. We're still waiting for proof that anybody said "only the rich got tax cuts".

Put up or shut up Rick.

I really appreciate all that the wealthy do for this country. They are part of the reason this is the greatest country on earth. I would love to give them tax cuts...but we just can't afford it

To borrow an additional $2 trillion to give tax cuts is insanity. Lets make a deal with the wealthy....once we pay down that $13 trillion in debt, they can have their tax cut

Sounds fair doesn't it?

Well, we know taking more money from the individual and transferring it to the state always spurs growth.

Well we've already seen that giving the wealthy huge tax breaks did wonders to "spur growth", didn't we? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It most certainly will not hurt those "job creators." The Repugs, party of "fack the middleclass."

I thought the Bush tax cuts were only for the rich?

Now all you liberals want us to believe that Bush actually gave the middle class a tax cut?

I think it's time for some of you to get your stories straight.

Rick

Already covered. We're still waiting for proof that anybody said "only the rich got tax cuts".

Put up or shut up Rick.

Well then if you admit the middle class got the lion's share of the tax cuts, maybe you'll exhibit the same vigor jumping on those who keep whining that the Bush tax policy was tax cuts for the rich?

But again what we are talking about now is not cutting taxes but rather not raising them. Not extending the Bush tax policy will be a tax increase that cannot help but be severely detrimental to any economic recovery.

And however much some despise the rich and want them to pay down the debt, it ain't gonna happen. What WILL start paying down the debt, however, is Congressional restraint that we haven't seen for a very long time now coupled with incentive and good prospects for profits for those 'evil rich' to let go of the capital they are currently hoarding so that they will start making things, providing services, and hiring people again.

You make the rich happy and those of us among the unrich will be a whole lot happier with jobs they'll create than we are without them.

Bingo.

Yes, Obamacare is the other piece of the puzzle right now. It won't help much to extend the current tax policy for say two years. Businesses do their long range planning 2 to 5 years and more out so they need some long term assurance of what the tax policy is going to be for them. And they also need to know what taxes, penalties, requirements they're going to have re Obamacare and right now nobody is telling them. Obamacare will need to be stopped cold indefinitely and, if possible, repealed as early as possible next year to give small business assurances about that too.

Fix those two things and I would bet a very good steak dinner that the economy will then take off like a rocket.

Bingo once again Foxy.

I agree. If business had those answers it would be rocking and rolling.

Funny how you and I can figure this out but the so called "leaders" in this country can't??

Your steak dinner is in the bank Foxy. LOL

Reporters Push Spin of Anti-Tax Cut Liberals

As they set the table for President Bush’s State of the Union speech, network reporters have been busy as bees asserting that three liberal Democratic arguments against Bush’s tax cut plan aren’t just spin — they’re facts. A Media Research Center study of all 28 tax cut stories on the ABC, CBS and NBC evening newscasts from January 2 (when coverage of Bush’s imminent plan began) through January 15 (after coverage had abated) determined that those liberal points received much more time than conservative counter-arguments — and that journalists themselves often echoed the anti-tax cut talking points:

• Liberals argued Bush’s plan only comforts the rich. Viewers heard this point made by news sources 27 times and from reporters themselves another ten times. “The bigger your wallet, the bigger the benefit,” CBS reporter Byron Pitts insisted on January 6 as he presented the tax cut as liberals wished, in terms of dollars saved, not the percentage tax reduction each family would receive. Emphasizing percentages shows the benefits would be larger for lower income families, but viewers heard just seven sources (all Republicans) challenge the liberal presentation, and no reporter ever did. That computes to a six-to-one liberal skew on this issue, hardly balance.

It’s not as if every expert agreed with Tom Daschle. The Tax Foundation used IRS figures to show how the current tax code punishes the rich — the top 10 percent of Americans (those earning over $92,114) account for 46 percent of all income earned in the U.S., but pay 67.3 percent of income taxes. As Washington Post reporters Dana Milbank and Chris Jenkins noted January 10, “Treasury figures show the share of the tax burden borne by those earning more than $100,000 would rise from 72.4 percent to 73.3 percent” if Bush’s plan was enacted. That’s helping the rich?

Two NBC reporters — Campbell Brown and Lisa Myers — did tell viewers (in general terms) that the rich pay a far higher share of current taxes, but ABC and CBS completely omitted even this basic fact. And no network reporter even hinted that the tax burden would fall even more heavily on the wealthy if Bush’s plan became law.

Reporters Push Spin of Anti-Tax Cut Liberals -- 01/27/2003 - Media Research Center - Media Reality Check

But on Thursday night, Tom Brokaw highlighted Bill Clinton's attack from the left on Bush's plan as “a giveaway to the rich.”

Brokaw announced on the January 23 NBC Nightly News: “Former President Bill Clinton today was the most critical he's been yet of the Bush administration, charging the administration's tax plan is what he called 'a giveaway to the rich' when too many low and middle income Americans are struggling to pay for health care and states are forced to cut back on basic services.”

NBC Insists Frigid Temps Don't Undermine Global Warming -- 01/24/2003 -- Media Research Center CyberAlert (2nd story)

There's lots more at the links. Bush's tax cuts were spun as 'mainly for the rich'.

Tax cut to people who are not going to spend them does little of anything to spur the economy. The majority of the tax that the govt is not now collecting due to the tax cuts goes to the top 10% by far.
Making the tax code fair so people who need their income to provide for the families has nothing to do with providing billions of tax dollars in relief to people who's only purpose is to save it or invest it overseas, so they can make more money.

The real story is most people use very little of what the country uses to provide wealth. When a small company or a corp does business they use all parts of what our society provides in order to stay in business. In other words my work provides for my family but it also helps a business owner create wealth. Now if that owner uses 10 people or 1000 or 100,000 people to create wealth then they are using way more than any family used.

You use schools, hospitals, roads cops, services, airports, bridges, water, air, natural resources, and just about everything in the world. All these things play a part in my life but play little as far as my using them, or destroying them.

what is used according to you people should be shared equally between each one of us and you, like we have an equal share in what is being used or what we need for you to be in business or for me to make a living.

You need to understand that your ability to make large sums of money using everything in our life's including us personally and then somehow felling that we are just as responsible as those who are making millions and billions out of our economy is plain sick.

Your able to make as much money as you can, all we ask is you pay what is owed out of doing so. Your problem is you don't think of what you use or destroy as being a reason you need to pay more than someone who is just providing for their families.

If we can't identify equivalent spending cuts, I too would just as soon see none of the tax cuts extended. Borrowing money to cut taxes is moronic...because borrowing Money from Communist China to give more tax money to wealthy people and Wall street is nuts!

Tax cut to people who are not going to spend them does little of anything to spur the economy. The majority of the tax that the govt is not now collecting due to the tax cuts goes to the top 10% by far.
Making the tax code fair so people who need their income to provide for the families has nothing to do with providing billions of tax dollars in relief to people who's only purpose is to save it or invest it overseas, so they can make more money.

The real story is most people use very little of what the country uses to provide wealth. When a small company or a corp does business they use all parts of what our society provides in order to stay in business. In other words my work provides for my family but it also helps a business owner create wealth. Now if that owner uses 10 people or 1000 or 100,000 people to create wealth then they are using way more than any family used.

You use schools, hospitals, roads cops, services, airports, bridges, water, air, natural resources, and just about everything in the world. All these things play a part in my life but play little as far as my using them, or destroying them.

what is used according to you people should be shared equally between each one of us and you, like we have an equal share in what is being used or what we need for you to be in business or for me to make a living.

You need to understand that your ability to make large sums of money using everything in our life's including us personally and then somehow felling that we are just as responsible as those who are making millions and billions out of our economy is plain sick.

Your able to make as much money as you can, all we ask is you pay what is owed out of doing so. Your problem is you don't think of what you use or destroy as being a reason you need to pay more than someone who is just providing for their families.

So who is more worthy? You who maybe kicks a few bucks into the collection plate at Church on Sunday but otherwise uses all or more of your income to support your family, pay the bills, and maybe save a little for your retirement?

Or the guy who earns four times as much as you do but provides you with a job that allows you to support your family, pay your bills, give a little to charity, and maybe save a little for your retirement.

Who is more worthy? The guy who works for wages, is a responsible citizen, is a good parent to his kids, and contributes to the overall economy by spending money for his own wants and needs?

Or the guy who built a little empire that produces him a rich man's income but he also gives thousands to charitable causes, supports the school sports and enrichment programs, contributed a wing to the new hospital, a great exhibit at the musueum, supports a foundation giving scholarships to deserving kids, and provides gainful employment to half the people in your neighborhood?

Even though they consume more resources, don't these 'rich guys' get any credit for making it possible for the 'unrich' to live quite well?

There was an old fable about the man who got tired of getting one golden egg now and then and thought he would prosper by killing the goose who laid those eggs. The moral of that story is as true today as it was then.

There are those who promote class envy and encourage the 'little people' to despise the rich and hold them in contempt and support efforts to 'kill the goose' as much as possible.

But you simply cannot 'punish' the rich without hurting the 'little people' more.

Forum List

Back