Obama: No balanced budget

Wow

Rookie
Jul 10, 2008
Texas
Obama is sizing up to be the war, racist and massive debt Presidential candidate.

McCain Touts Plan to Balance Budget, Create Jobs, Help Workers - America’s Election HQ

by FOXNews.com
Monday, July 7, 2008

John McCain is promising to balance the ballooning federal budget by 2013 as he further promotes his jobs and economic plan in the face of a struggling U.S. economy.

That effort to zero out excess spending — which Barack Obama’s campaign says is unrealistic — is outlined in a campaign document circulated Monday, although McCain did not mention it in a town hall meeting he held in Denver where he delivered a speech on the economy.

The 15-page policy paper says McCain will bring spending in check by chopping out wasteful spending — a hallmark of his political identity — and targeting what is known as “the third rail” of politics: Social Security and other entitlement programs that are about half of government spending.

“In the long term, the only way to keep the budget balanced is successful reform of the large spending pressures in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid,” reads the policy paper.

The campaign also suggests it could start dropping war costs, and start paying for debts that have accumulated since 2001.

“The McCain administration would reserve all savings from victory in the Iraq and Afghanistan operations in the fight against Islamic extremists for reducing the deficit. Since all their costs were financed with deficit spending, all their savings must go to deficit reduction,” reads the McCain paper.

I don't see McCain talking about a balanced Budget either. Which to me is very troubling. The most important Issue on everyones mind should be balancing the budget, yet it seems not one person on either side gives a god damn about it.

• Banned
I don't see McCain talking about a balanced Budget either. Which to me is very troubling. The most important Issue on everyones mind should be balancing the budget, yet it seems not one person on either side gives a god damn about it.
I think it starts with those that cried about the deficits, called for change and then did not change anything when they took over Congress.
Let them get away with it once and they will do it again!
Congress spends every dime of your money, not the President!

Pretty hard to talk about balancing the budget when the top conservative issues are funding current military operations, securing our borders, and fighting terrorism. McCain doesn't talk about a balanced budget because he knows that addressing those issues will require more tax dollars than are allocated, as opposed to our current cut and spend policies.

Pretty hard to talk about balancing the budget when the top conservative issues are funding current military operations, securing our borders, and fighting terrorism. McCain doesn't talk about a balanced budget because he knows that addressing those issues will require more tax dollars than are allocated, as opposed to our current cut and spend policies.

Well I am wise enough to see that fighting Terrorism or Securing our borders will be pointless if we allow our Debt to destroy us. I wish the same could be said for either party today.

however seeing how I want both to secure our Border, and fight terrorism, It troubles me even more that Most Democrats only seem to want to pay lip service to those things, and not actually do them, and still can't or wont talk about balancing the budget.

Last edited:
  • Banned
We have record growth in tax revenues.
Obviously, spending has increased but most of it has been for 911, war on terrorism and better security.

I do not see NATO members doing anything in Iraq nor Afghanistan, most of them refuse to send troops. They have violated the treaty.

The US should sue these violator member nations and collect our expenses related to fighting terrorism for the entire world.

These bums need to be forced to pay their bills!

I do not see NATO members doing anything in Iraq nor Afghanistan, most of them refuse to send troops. They have violated the treaty.

!

you do realize the NATO treaty does not even cover deployments out side of Europe and North American right? Hence the name

North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Maybe this is why many NATO nations are fighting sending troops to Afghanistan, and WHY NATO might not have been the best choice to send there.

Well I am wise enough to see that fighting Terrorism or Securing our borders will be pointless if we allow our Debt to destroy us. I wish the same could be said for either party today.

however seeing how I want both to secure our Border, and fight terrorism, It troubles me even more that Most Democrats only seem to want to pay lip service to those things, and not actually do them, and still can't or wont talk about balancing the budget.

"Terrorism" is a joke. A minor threat blown out of proportion by Bush-Cheney to scare white Americans with the visage a brown bearded boogie man. It worked for Bush Sr. with Willie Horton, and it worked for George the Lesser.

Your post is dead on, however. Bin Laden said his goal was to bankrupt America. Bush's overreaction to "terrorism" and his tax cut and spend insanity is driving us to bankrupcy. We are going to have to lower spending and raise taxes, so the Chinese don't end up owning us.

I think we should bring the troops home from Iraq and put them on the Mexican border. Then we need to lower our dependence on foreign oil or we will end up being a third world country.

"Terrorism" is a joke. A minor threat blown out of proportion by Bush-Cheney to scare white Americans with the visage a brown bearded boogie man. It worked for Bush Sr. with Willie Horton, and it worked for George the Lesser.

Really, so I guess we just imagined one of the worst attacks in Americas history where 3000 Innocent American Civilians were killed by Terrorists.

I can agree they have used this threat to scare us, but I do not agree that Terrorist are not a threat at all.

We have record growth in tax revenues.
Obviously, spending has increased but most of it has been for 911, war on terrorism and better security.

Guess what? Having record growth in tax revenues and decreasing the deficit by only tens of billions means jack shit when you still have a budget deficit in the hundreds of billions....

At which community college did you fail economics?

Guess what? Having record growth in tax revenues and decreasing the deficit by only tens of billions means jack shit when you still have a budget deficit in the hundreds of billions....

At which community college did you fail economics?

What really sucks is the last time we had a budget surplus we didn't use one penny of it to pay down the debt. :(

And where are you going to get the money to secure our borders, fight terrorism, and fund our military? That stuff don't come cheap. That whole cutting taxes and starving the government of social programs idea hasn't really panned out over the last 8 years now has it?

What really sucks is the last time we had a budget surplus we didn't use one penny of it to pay down the debt. :(
I agree with you there. We should pay down the debt. We should also invest in precious metals.

But with the current issues in politics, government will only get bigger, not smaller. That includes both conservative and liberal candidates.

Really, so I guess we just imagined one of the worst attacks in Americas history where 3000 Innocent American Civilians were killed by Terrorists.

I can agree they have used this threat to scare us, but I do not agree that Terrorist are not a threat at all.

A bunch of guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force are a minor threat to a country of 300 million people. The real threat is that we will overreact and spend ourselves into bankrupcy which is exactly what is happening. Bin Laden has to be laughing his ass off about how his plan worked perfectly.

you do realize the NATO treaty does not even cover deployments out side of Europe and North American right? Hence the name

North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Maybe this is why many NATO nations are fighting sending troops to Afghanistan, and WHY NATO might not have been the best choice to send there.
That sounded like Ron Paul. :tongue:

ISAF - Mandate
ISAF has a peace-enforcement mandate under Chapter VII of the UN Charter. Eight UN Security Council Resolutions – 1386, 1413, 1444, 1510, 1563, 1623, 1707 and 1776 – relate to ISAF.

However, ISAF is not a UN force. It is a coaliton of the willing deployed under the authority of the UN Security Council. 40 nations throughout the world currently contribute to ISAF.

The NATO mission itself was created in accordance with the Bonn Conference of December 2001 and its tasks are detailed in a Military Technical Agreement of January 2002 between the ISAF Commander and the Afghan Transitional Authority.

In August 2003, upon request of the UN and Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, NATO took command of ISAF.

And where are you going to get the money to secure our borders, fight terrorism, and fund our military? That stuff don't come cheap. That whole cutting taxes and starving the government of social programs idea hasn't really panned out over the last 8 years now has it?

No it sure hasn't

A bunch of guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force are a minor threat to a country of 300 million people. The real threat is that we will overreact and spend ourselves into bankrupcy which is exactly what is happening. Bin Laden has to be laughing his ass off about how his plan worked perfectly.

Please kirk we spend plenty of money on things not at all related to the War on terror, or Iraq. To the tune of 3.2 Trillion a year and counting. I agree the War spending is making things worse, but it is by far not the sole cause of the problem. Spending across the board is out of hand, and it only stands to get worse. With the the social programs and new spending both candidates want to enact, it will only get far worse, war or no war.

I'll tell you one thing that's a complete waste of time to debate right now...SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. Just forget about it. It's not going anywhere, spending is not going to be cut on it, so just forget it and move on. It's a hot button issue sent out at every election to divide voters and distract them from issues that might actually have legs, if we cared enough collectively.

@ Dirt: You said invest in PM's. Maybe we should have thought about that before we inflated our Dollars back when they were still exchangeable to foreigners for $35/oz gold, and foreigners called on it. Now, the likelihood that we have any significant amount of gold left in our reserves is probably nill. An audit would be nice. But it's not happening.

Please kirk we spend plenty of money on things not at all related to the War on terror, or Iraq. To the tune of 3.2 Trillion a year and counting. I agree the War spending is making things worse, but it is by far not the sole cause of the problem. Spending across the board is out of hand, and it only stands to get worse. With the the social programs and new spending both candidates want to enact, it will only get far worse, war or no war.

I agree.

Forum List

Back