Obama names Asian Carp Czar!

As long as they don't move into my neck of the woo ... er uh, river, I'm perfectly alright with it.

U.S. names Asian carp czar - Chicago Breaking News

The White House has tapped a former leader of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and the Indiana Wildlife Federation as the Asian carp czar to oversee the federal response to keeping the invasive species out of the Great Lakes.

Thank God!!!!!

:eusa_wall:

Of course the "czar" label was chosen by the Chicago paper (WGN aka conservative publication). But laugh all you want. From the article:
Asian carp, which have steadily moved toward Chicago since the 1990s, present a challenge for scientists and fish biologists. The fish are aggressive eaters, consuming as much as 40 percent of their body weight a day in plankton, and frequently beat out native fish for food, threatening those populations.

They are also prolific breeders with no natural predators in the U.S. The fish were imported in the 1970s to help wastewater treatment facilities in the South keep their retention ponds clean. Mississippi River flooding allowed the fish to escape and then move into the Missouri and Illinois rivers. Some species can grow to more than 100 pounds.

The states of New York and Vermont which share Lake Champlain have spent millions getting rid of lamprey eels which almost killed off all the lake trout at one time. Now we're battling milfoil, another invader having the ability to propagate so quickly and strangle other underwater plant life which fish feed on. It also gets caught up in propellers and rudders and can cause some seriously expensive damage to boats.

U.S. names Asian carp czar - Chicago Breaking News

The White House has tapped a former leader of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and the Indiana Wildlife Federation as the Asian carp czar to oversee the federal response to keeping the invasive species out of the Great Lakes.

Thank God!!!!!

:eusa_wall:

Of course the "czar" label was chosen by the Chicago paper (WGN aka conservative publication). But laugh all you want. From the article:
Asian carp, which have steadily moved toward Chicago since the 1990s, present a challenge for scientists and fish biologists. The fish are aggressive eaters, consuming as much as 40 percent of their body weight a day in plankton, and frequently beat out native fish for food, threatening those populations.

They are also prolific breeders with no natural predators in the U.S. The fish were imported in the 1970s to help wastewater treatment facilities in the South keep their retention ponds clean. Mississippi River flooding allowed the fish to escape and then move into the Missouri and Illinois rivers. Some species can grow to more than 100 pounds.

The states of New York and Vermont which share Lake Champlain have spent millions getting rid of lamprey eels which almost killed off all the lake trout at one time. Now we're battling milfoil, another invader having the ability to propagate so quickly and strangle other underwater plant life which fish feed on. It also gets caught up in propellers and rudders and can cause some seriously expensive damage to boats.

I agree. It is a serious issue. Been following it for a while now. I do a lot of fishing in MN and if those bastards ever made it far enough up the MS river to fuck up MN fishing I will personally go on a genocidal Asian Carp shooting spree. :evil:

Forum List

Back