Obama: More post-traumatic stress help for vets

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Obama: More post-traumatic stress help for vets - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – The government is taking what President Barack Obama calls "a long overdue step" to aid veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder, making it easier for them receive federal benefits.

The changes that Veteran Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki will announce Monday fulfill "a solemn responsibility to provide our veterans and wounded warriors with the care and benefits they've earned when they come home," Obama said in his weekly radio and online address Saturday.

The new rules will apply not only to veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but also those who served in previous conflicts.

No longer will veterans have to prove what caused their illness. Instead, they would have to show that the conditions surrounding the time and place of their service could have contributed to their illness.

"I don't think our troops on the battlefield should have to take notes to keep for a claims application," the president said. "And I've met enough veterans to know that you don't have to engage in a firefight to endure the trauma of war."

A study last year by the RAND Corp. think tank estimated that nearly 20 percent of returning veterans, or 300,000, have symptoms of PTSD or major depression.

A senior official at the Department of Veterans Affairs said the agency doesn't expect the number of veterans receiving benefits for PTSD to rise dramatically, as most veterans with legitimate applications for benefits do eventually get claims. The goal is simply to make the claims process less cumbersome and time-consuming, said the official, who would speak only on condition of anonymity ahead of the VA's announcement.

Well this is certainly some good news to see.

Obama: More post-traumatic stress help for vets - Health - Mental health - msnbc.com

"I don't think our troops on the battlefield should have to take notes to keep for a claims application," the president said. "And I've met enough veterans to know that you don't have to engage in a firefight to endure the trauma of war."

Veterans advocates and some lawmakers have argued that it sometimes could be impossible for veterans to find records of a firefight or bomb blast.

-------------------------

About time!

Threads Merged - Modbert

Obama: More post-traumatic stress help for vets - Health - Mental health - msnbc.com

Veterans advocates and some lawmakers have argued that it sometimes could be impossible for veterans to find records of a firefight or bomb blast.

-------------------------

About time!

Bush, the hated, ordered all VA's to remain open until 9 PM to allow longer hours to treat these people. He ordered more doctors more staff and more time spent on the issue. He ordered the military to allow active duty to use civilian doctors if the local command did not have enough support.

In my area Camp Lejeune hired more civilian doctors to treat for this problem. They allow Active Duty to use civilian providers with no hassle.

I lost my psychiatrist to the base because of this and had to find another. he place I use has hired extra staff JUST to treat active duty.

I'm not sure how getting more help to our veterans is a bad thing.

Someone wanna explain that to me?

Last edited:
And you're a whiny little faggot of epic proportions.

I was kidding you fucking dumb ass. Like I'm really against medical care, of ANY kind, for vets.

You don't even joke about that. Considering your track record though, who knows if you're joking or merely backtracking. Though you couldn't help but use yet another slur in another post? Sad.

And you're a whiny little faggot of epic proportions.

I was kidding you fucking dumb ass. Like I'm really against medical care, of ANY kind, for vets.

You don't even joke about that. Considering your track record though, who knows if you're joking or merely backtracking. Though you couldn't help but use yet another slur in another post? Sad.

slime , faggot, what's the difference? They're just stupid words. Why you get so hurt is beyond me.

As for joking about it, boy I've seen battle, if I care to joke about it I will, so run along.

slime , faggot, what's the difference? They're just stupid words. Why you get so hurt is beyond me.

As for joking about it, boy I've seen battle, if I care to joke about it I will, so run along.

I don't get hurt, however you are a crass person to say the least. As for you "seen battle", that doesn't make it right. You should of just said hey "I was joking, should of made it more obvious." Especially since you gave no indication to otherwise in the first place.

I don't get hurt, however you are a crass person to say the least. As for you "seen battle", that doesn't make it right. You should of just said hey "I was joking, should of made it more obvious." Especially since you gave no indication to otherwise in the first place.

Shut the fuck up turdbert. I see nowhere in the rules where it governs what we may joke about or the structure we must use when doing so.

How's that for crass you little punk

Shut the fuck up turdbert. I see nowhere in the rules where it governs what we may joke about or the structure we must use when doing so.

No I won't shut up. I said nothing about it being against the rules. I'm saying you're a crass person, it's not against the rules. However, it doesn't stop you from being a complete asshole either.

You have a tendency to joke about topics that nobody else I know jokes about. First "jokes" about how African Americans fucked monkeys and got AIDS then giving it to everyone else, now this. You certainly should ask yourself why you find these funny if you do. After all, a joke is suppose to be funny.

Are you sure you're in your 40's? Considering you seem to try and make up some new name to insult me each post, I couldn't swear you're much older than me to be honest.

No I won't shut up. I said nothing about it being against the rules. I'm saying you're a crass person, it's not against the rules. However, it doesn't stop you from being a complete asshole either.

You have a tendency to joke about topics that nobody else I know jokes about. First "jokes" about how African Americans fucked monkeys and got AIDS then giving it to everyone else, now this. You certainly should ask yourself why you find these funny if you do. After all, a joke is suppose to be funny.

Are you sure you're in your 40's? Considering you seem to try and make up some new name to insult me each post, I couldn't swear you're much older than me to be honest.

oh, the wittle bertie is getting his wittle feewings hurt.

PS - I am not in my 40s , nor have I ever claimed to be.

jesus christ bert, stop being such a sensitive little bitch and move on. funny that you only want to judge me based off part of my posts. But either way, who gives a damn what you think?

jesus christ bert, stop being such a sensitive little bitch and move on. funny that you only want to judge me based off part of my posts. But either way, who gives a damn what you think?

You proudly boast about pissing on a woman, you make "jokes" about African Americans screwing monkeys, getting AIDS and giving it to white women. Then you make another "joke" about how veterans who want help for PTSD are fucking pussies. Are these things you find funny? I think the only one who would even find your first "joke" funny would be a racist. You also have called women bitches and others whores.

My feelings aren't hurt, however you are a sick human being to say the least. I don't know how old you are, but you certainly act your shoe size most of the time on here.

You proudly boast about pissing on a woman, you make "jokes" about African Americans screwing monkeys, getting AIDS and giving it to white women. Then you make another "joke" about how veterans who want help for PTSD are fucking pussies. Are these things you find funny? I think the only one who would even find your first "joke" funny would be a racist. You also have called women bitches and others whores.

My feelings aren't hurt, however you are a sick human being to say the least. I don't know how old you are, but you certainly act your shoe size most of the time on here.

I proudly boasted? prove that you little punk. I think instead I relayed a story of something that happened when I was drunk.

Some women are in fact bitches and or whores.

I'm a sick human being? Based off knowing me off the internet you're going to make that call? LOL ok Bert.

Forum List

Back