Obama meets with economic heavyweights!

bk1983

Off too Kuwait..
Oct 17, 2008
Obama calling on economic experts for their advice

CHICAGO – President-elect Obama is calling on economic experts to discuss the first steps toward healing a damaged economy as he forms a new administration in the face of a worsening crisis.

"We're not starting from nowhere," said Lawrence Summers, a Treasury secretary under President Clinton and one of the 17 members of Obama's transition economic advisory board who were to meet Friday with Obama.

"Throughout his campaign the president-elect has been talking about what we need to do. We need to put the middle class at the center of the policy approach in a way that it hasn't been these last years," Summers told NBC's "Today."

Leaders of business, government and academia to meet with Obama and Vice President-elect Joe Biden include executives from Xerox Corp., Time Warner Inc., Google Inc. and the Hyatt hotel company. Investor Warren Buffett was participating by telephone.

Obama also was holding his first news conference as president-elect after the meeting.

It was to be Obama's first public appearance since Tuesday's election, where exit polls showed that the economy was far and away the top issue for voters. More evidence of a recession came Friday when the government reported that the unemployment rate had jumped from 6.1 percent in September to 6.5 percent in October.

Obama has been meeting privately with his transition team, receiving congratulatory phone calls from U.S. allies and intelligence briefings, and making decisions about who will help run his government.

His first choice, for White House chief of staff, was Rahm Emanuel, a fiery partisan unafraid of breaking glass and hurting feelings. The choice of Emanuel is a significant departure from the soft-spoken, low-key aides that "No-Drama Obama" surrounded himself with during the campaign. And transition chief John Podesta, like Emanuel, is a former top aide to President Clinton and a tough partisan infighter, though less bombastic than the new chief of staff.

The selections are telling for Obama, who campaigned as a nontraditional, almost "post-partisan" newcomer. People close to him say the selections show he is aware of his strengths and weaknesses, and knows what he needs to be successful as he shifts from campaigning to governing.

Transition spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said Obama would not announce any personnel appointments Friday.

One person frequently mentioned for a Cabinet post, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, will not be available until 2011, say officials close to him. Rendell has two years left of his term, and Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll, a Democrat, is ailing. Next in line to be governor is the Republican president pro tempore the state Senate.

Rather than take the chance that the GOP would gain control of the governor's office, Rendell has signaled he will stay put for the time being.

On Friday morning, Obama and his wife, Michelle, attended a parent-teacher conference at the University of Chicago Lab School where their daughters, Malia and Sasha, are students. The couple planned to visit the White House on Monday at President Bush's invitation.

Obama planned to stay home through the weekend, with a blackout on news announcements so he and his staff can rest after the grueling campaign and the rush of Tuesday night's victory. He is planning a family getaway to Hawaii in December before they move to the White House, and to honor his grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, who died Sunday at her home there.

Obama, who bested Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination, has made it clear he will rely heavily on veterans of her husband's eight-year administration, the only Democratic presidency in the past 28 years.

Podesta was President Clinton's chief of staff, and several other former Clinton aides are on Obama's short lists for key jobs, Democratic officials say. Some helped write a large briefing book on how to govern, assembled under Podesta's supervision.

Obama also is certain to bring to the White House a cadre of longtime aides like senior adviser David Axelrod and press secretary Robert Gibbs. Both have worked closely with Obama since he ran for the Senate in 2004.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/ap_on_el_pr/obama

Lawrence Summers, a Treasury secretary under President Clinton and a member of Obama's advisory board, told NBC's TODAY show Friday ahead of the meeting.
"What there is going to be is a comprehensive approach that focuses on supporting the spending and the needs of middle-class families, that focuses on getting credit flowing again in our economy, that engages with the rest of the world, because we’re so dependent on exports," Summers said.
We need to put the middle class at the center of the policy approach in a way that it hasn't been these last years."

Obama seeks advice from industry titans - Decision '08

He also added Gov. Jennifer Granholm to his economic team. Yes, the same Gov. Jennifer Granholm of Michigan who has run her state into the ground by raising taxes.

Oh, my, this is gonna be fun!!!

Just like Obama's bottom to top approach on winning the Presidency, his economic plan will be to help us first and then the banks.

And if he helps us first, the banks won't need bailing out.

He also added Gov. Jennifer Granholm to his economic team. Yes, the same Gov. Jennifer Granholm of Michigan who has run her state into the ground by raising taxes.

Oh, my, this is gonna be fun!!!

What a fucking joke. Did the people of Michigan blame Jennifer for what's going on in Michigan? NO. We know what happened. That's why we voted her back in and Bush out.

Republicans in our state government lost seats too paperboy.

We know who's sending jobs overseas.

Wake up.

And Jenny cut spending BIG TIME!!!! A republican would have lost more jobs faster and spent more money in the process stupid.

You worry about your state.

lmao he doesn't know... Obama clearly has one of the most respected and verse team of economic advisors from Buffet to Volcker..

Yeah but also on that team is the guy whose ideologies have been most indicted by economic experts around the globe for playing a key role in causing the economic crisis: Robert Rubin.

Get ready to be very, very, very disappointed.

Like you were disappointed when Clinton did well?

Trust me kiddo, I was talking to your parents back when HW Bush was fucking up the economy. They were wrong too.

And I'll be arguing with your kids and they'll think they know something too.

But like you, they'll be wrong.

Talking to you is like talking to Rush Limbaugh. He's hard to argue with, but DEAD WRONG on every issue.

lmao he doesn't know... Obama clearly has one of the most respected and verse team of economic advisors from Buffet to Volcker..

I actually have a decent amount of respect for Volcker.

I hope he gets a spot in this admin somewhere. The rest of the names I've seen, though? CRAP.

Sounds like you might be the one being very disappointed. I find it amusing that you're already hoping he fails to clean up the mess YOUR guys left. That's pretty pathetic.

Did your boy ever once TRY to understand the issues facing this country?

Nope...

Next.

Middle of last year we told guys like Paperboy that problems were coming for sure and he, Bush and McCain, along with the rest of the GOP, said the economy was strong. Things were great they said.

Know when I knew they were full of it? When a buddy of mine sent me a news article last year saying that Iraq's economy was strong. I read the article and Iraq's economy was strong the same way our economy was strong. Corporations and CEO's were making a killing over there, just like here. But it wasn't trickling down to the masses.

So they ignored unemployment, consumer confidence, home prices, the fact that people were going into debt, and the gap between poor and rich was widening, and more middle class people were falling into the poor catagory, not into the rich.

They ignored all the bad and focused on just the good, for the top 1%.

I can't remember who, but someone said the news, before it was deregulated and purchased by the rich, used to talk about jobs and unemployment and middle class issues. Now the news only talks about Corporations and profits and earnings. It's all about the corporations, not so much about us anymore. Our suffering does not mean we are in a recession anymore.

That's like calling on Dick Cheney to lead a commission on gun safety. What is Obama thinking?

You are clueless to how good Granholm is. She cut a lot of spending.

She also knows what the GOP did to send jobs overseas, because she's dealt with it for 8 years.

Again, it is going to be hard to work with you Republicans when you continue to lie and place blame where it doesn't belong.

Next you will start telling us our ideas are wrong and that you know best.

Shut up for 2 years for god sakes. You failed, now it's our time.

After 9-11, I shut up for about 1 year and let Bush do his thing. Bad example, because that's when he excellerated the process of oursourcing.

That's why PNAC said they would need another 9-11 to push their radical agenda. Economic as well as military agenda.

You are clueless to how good Granholm is. She cut a lot of spending.

She also knows what the GOP did to send jobs overseas, because she's dealt with it for 8 years.

Again, it is going to be hard to work with you Republicans when you continue to lie and place blame where it doesn't belong.

Next you will start telling us our ideas are wrong and that you know best.

Shut up for 2 years for god sakes. You failed, now it's our time.

After 9-11, I shut up for about 1 year and let Bush do his thing. Bad example, because that's when he excellerated the process of oursourcing.

That's why PNAC said they would need another 9-11 to push their radical agenda. Economic as well as military agenda.

The clinton blaming I find the most amusing, even O'Reilly says to place blame where it lies. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDou01X5d28]YouTube - O'Reilly Erupts at Right-Wing Radio Liars and Barney Frank![/ame]

I'm an Obama supporter, but nice try to classify my viewpoint rather than understand it

either way, common sense puts me in agreement with the 68% of people in Michigan who think Granholm's a train wreck

Wrong. We voted her back in. You don't win when 68% of people vote against you.

But thanks for reminding me of the bullshit the right was saying before the election. I couldn't remember it all week. You just reminded me.

What happened to, "90% of America views congress as unfavorable"?

Remember that? Suggesting that Democrats were just as much in trouble as Republicans.

So you can give me all the stats and percentages you want, I know you are wrong.

40% of the people don't take percentages that seriously 80% of the time.

Forum List

Back