Obama meets with Arizona governor on immigration

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama emerged Thursday from a meeting with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer proclaiming limited progress on the immigration issue that divides them, but sticking to his opposition to her state's controversial immigration bill.

"I've told Governor Brewer that we've already put more resources into border security than we ever have," Obama told CNN's Larry King in an interview to air at 9 p.m. Thursday.

"We have got more border guards in Arizona than we ever have. We just made decisions to put in additional National Guards. But without comprehensive immigration reform -- that is Congress' responsibility -- we are not going to solve this problem and that's what we have to do."

Brewer, who signed the state's immigration law that Obama has called misguided, described the tone of the talks as "very cordial" but said disagreements remained. "We know we're not going to agree on some issues until other issues are worked out," the Republican governor told reporters.

Brewer said Obama agreed to send staffers to Arizona "in a couple of weeks" to discuss using more federal resources to tighten the border, including allocating 1,200 National Guard troops and $500 million more in funds for border protection and law enforcement

Obama meets with Arizona governor on immigration - CNN.com

The 'great one' seems to be lecturing Gov Brewer; she seems to be praying. Would love to have been a fly on that wall.

I wonder what part of 'secure the border BEFORE immigration reform' the great one fails to understand.

"It wouldn't matter if you are Latino or Hispanic or Norwegian," she said. "If you didn't have proof of citizenship and the police officer had reasonable suspicion, he would ask and verify your citizenship. I mean, that's the way that it is. That's what the federal law says. And that's what the law in Arizona says."

Brewer said she would not suspend the law even if Obama were to increase the number of U.S. troops at the Mexican border.

I like and admire this woman's guts!! You go girl!!!

and the seiu union thugs were right outside the wh backing obie wan up,, picketing Gov. Brewer..

Looking at Obama's views on the issue I can see why this conference did not go any where.

Barack Obama on Immigration

I realize some of these are old but thats all I can glean from him or his constant talk of reform I can only imagine he gleans it from the link above.

I love this question/answer though.

Illegals shouldn’t work; but should have path to citizenship

Q: Under an Obama administration, what rights do immigrants have if they’re working without proper authorization come January 2009?

A: I think that if they are illegal, then they should not be able to work in this country. That is part of the principle of comprehensive reform, which we’re going to crack down on employers who are hiring them and taking advantage of them. But I also want to give them a pathway, so that they can earn citizenship, earn a legal status, start learning English, pay a significant fine, and go to the back of the line. But they can then stay here and they can have the ability to enforce a minimum wage that they’re paid, make sure the worker safety laws are available, make sure that they can join a union.
Source: 2007 Democratic radio debate on NPR Dec 4, 2007

Classic

"We have got more border guards in Arizona than we ever have. We just made decisions to put in additional National Guards. But without comprehensive immigration reform -- that is Congress' responsibility -- we are not going to solve this problem and that's what we have to do."
Okay, Bam-Bam, what new law would you like to pass in lieu of enforcing existing law?

What a fucktard...

I wonder what part of 'secure the border BEFORE immigration reform' the great one fails to understand.

We can never secure the border before we enforce out immigration law against business hiring illegal workers. It just simple cannot be done. If there are jobs, they will come and they will find a way to come even if there is a 20 foot fence, military, aligators and land mines. Take away the jobs and they have no reason to come and they will go home. Put national guard on the work site and see how fast the border will become secure.

I use to work at a convenience store that was near a lot of orange groves.
There could be 2 dozen Mexicans in the store, but as soon as an Immigration Officer walked in you couldn't see one anywhere even though nobody walked out the door
:lol:

Forum List

Back