Obama May Veto His Tax Proposal if Not Granted Power to Raise Debt Ceiling

If that is the case, why are we going into the fifth year without a budget from Congress? Democrats in the Senate from 2008 to the present have refused to agree on a fiscal budget and have blocked any efforts from Congress to pass a balanced budget. We can all thank Nancy Reid for that.

The budget process has become an impossible situation since it became the central political gripe of the republican party, not that we need an omnibus spending bill any more than a debt ceiling, entire political careers hang in the balance over what has become a self defeating process initially intended to get spending under control. The deficit hawks need to quit setting their sights so high trying to recklessly accomplish in a single term what a responsible government might be able to accomplish in twenty years.

Why don't you save yourself some time and simply type "I am so stupid all I can do is babble incoherently" instead of actually babbling incoherently?
Maybe you can reply to my comments like an adult rather than a child? Probably not but you could at least make an attempt at maturity.

Well then the solution is to get rid of the dangerous and useless policy altogether like every other country in the world then no one can use it for a weapon. There are much safer ways to gain political leverage in this country than trying to default on our debts.

The real solution is to stop spending more money than we have.

Maybe, but that has nothing to do with the debt ceiling and holding it hostage was both ineffective and the most reckless thing I have seen our government do since starting the Iraq war. Maybe you like the government to do shortsighted foolish things all the time but for others who prefer careful deliberation in government policy it's rather horrifying to see such towering stupidity in action.

Want to try that again?

Never mind, I know you are the token idiot, and can't actually think far enough ahead to understand how living within our means will eliminate the need to raise the debt ceiling.

The budget process has become an impossible situation since it became the central political gripe of the republican party, not that we need an omnibus spending bill any more than a debt ceiling, entire political careers hang in the balance over what has become a self defeating process initially intended to get spending under control. The deficit hawks need to quit setting their sights so high trying to recklessly accomplish in a single term what a responsible government might be able to accomplish in twenty years.

Why don't you save yourself some time and simply type "I am so stupid all I can do is babble incoherently" instead of actually babbling incoherently?
Maybe you can reply to my comments like an adult rather than a child? Probably not but you could at least make an attempt at maturity.

When you start making comments that aren't written by a third grader I will start responding to them like an adult. Until that point, you get nothing but contempt from me.

The real solution is to stop spending more money than we have.

Maybe, but that has nothing to do with the debt ceiling and holding it hostage was both ineffective and the most reckless thing I have seen our government do since starting the Iraq war. Maybe you like the government to do shortsighted foolish things all the time but for others who prefer careful deliberation in government policy it's rather horrifying to see such towering stupidity in action.

Want to try that again?

Never mind, I know you are the token idiot, and can't actually think far enough ahead to understand how living within our means will eliminate the need to raise the debt ceiling.

I guess you think the great "crisis" of 2011 was worth it? It was the single worst thing the republican party did to their brand and the very real issue of deficit reduction, they screwed up so bad that they may never get the spending cuts they wanted because they had to have them right now while not giving an inch on their ideological BS and sacred cash cows.

When you start making comments that aren't written by a third grader I will start responding to them like an adult. Until that point, you get nothing but contempt from me.

That's fine, you get to join my ignore list like the rest of the people who are here just to feed their sadistic, cowardly need to hurl abuse safely and anonymously. Eat shit asshole.

Obama May Veto His Tax Proposal if Not Granted Power to Raise Debt Ceiling​

by Tony Lee
6 Dec 2012

On Wednesday, President Barack Obama indicated that having unlimited powers to raise the debt ceiling without Congress’s approval may be more important to him than raising taxes -- and he may veto his own tax hike proposal to take the country over the fiscal cliff if he does not get his ultimate wish.

Addressing corporate CEOs at the Business Roundtable, Obama said using the debt ceiling as leverage to get more spending cuts was a “bad strategy for America” and “it is a game I will not play.”

According to The Hill, Obama also told the business leaders that they “should not accept going through” another round of debt-ceiling negotiations like the one in 2011.

Das Feurher has spoken.

that's what happens when a bunch of wingnuts hold the government hostage by using a purely ministerial act to hurt the country ..... the teatards should grow up and do the job they were hired to do...

btw, i went to school in binghamton... is pat mitchell's ice cream still up there?

Do you mean you fault Reid for the last 2 years of refusing to even send to committee bills from the House? Or is THAT different?

Want to try that again?

I guess you think the great "crisis" of 2011 was worth it? It was the single worst thing the republican party did to their brand and the very real issue of deficit reduction, they screwed up so bad that they may never get the spending cuts they wanted because they had to have them right now while not giving an inch on their ideological BS and sacred cash cows.

The Great Crisis of 2011? What was that? Did I sleep through it? I could have sworn I got on the Great Crisis mailing list, is there any way for me to check that?

That's fine, you get to join my ignore list like the rest of the people who are here just to feed their sadistic, cowardly need to hurl abuse safely and anonymously. Eat shit asshole.

I have not even started to abuse you yet.

No deal will be struck with Obama saying give me congressional powers.

The buck doesn't stop with congress. Obama apparently still doesn't know how to lead.

someone's got to make congress do what they're supposed to. boehner seems singularly incapable of it.

so assume i might agree with you... (although I don't in this instance) ... how do we assure that the radical right of the GOP doesn't do what they did the last time the debt ceiling came up?

they need to do their job.

now... i might do things differently... i might bring an emergency action before the supreme court to compel congress to do what it has to do and meet it's obligation to lift the debt ceiling on the basis that it's money previously authorized BY THEM.

the problem then arises that this particular supreme court would probably decline to hear the case as a purely political matter...

so then what?

it's easy to say "lead"...

when you're not the one dealing with a bunch of petulent extremists.

I do, however, agree that Boehner cannot get the House to actually pass a balanced budget, probably because, like you, he sees no reason not to spend money.

The House voted and passed a Balanced Budget Amendment, but it got killed by the Democrat Senate.

Clearly Obama has no interest in making a deal.

When the other side moves to accommodate some of his demands , he adds more, completely insane demands

someone's got to make congress do what they're supposed to. boehner seems singularly incapable of it.

so assume i might agree with you... (although I don't in this instance) ... how do we assure that the radical right of the GOP doesn't do what they did the last time the debt ceiling came up?

now... i might do things differently... i might bring an emergency action before the supreme court to compel congress to do what it has to do and meet it's obligation to lift the debt ceiling on the basis that it's money previously authorized BY THEM.

the problem then arises that this particular supreme court would probably decline to hear the case as a purely political matter...

so then what?

I do, however, agree that Boehner cannot get the House to actually pass a balanced budget, probably because, like you, he sees no reason not to spend money.

The House voted and passed a Balanced Budget Amendment, but it got killed by the Democrat Senate.

They think they still control the media and they can keep people from knowing that ever happened

by Tony Lee
6 Dec 2012

On Wednesday, President Barack Obama indicated that having unlimited powers to raise the debt ceiling without Congress’s approval may be more important to him than raising taxes -- and he may veto his own tax hike proposal to take the country over the fiscal cliff if he does not get his ultimate wish.

Addressing corporate CEOs at the Business Roundtable, Obama said using the debt ceiling as leverage to get more spending cuts was a “bad strategy for America” and “it is a game I will not play.”

According to The Hill, Obama also told the business leaders that they “should not accept going through” another round of debt-ceiling negotiations like the one in 2011.

Das Feurher has spoken.

Good.

Finally his balls dropped and he got a spine.

The debt ceiling fights were an abomination.

so then what?

Not the same thing as an actual balanced budget, is it?

by Tony Lee
6 Dec 2012

Das Feurher has spoken.

strawmanargument.jpg

Thanks for playing!!

Can anyone tell me when Obama campaigned on the issue of having unilateral control over the debt ceiling? Or even when he mentioned it before he suddenly decided it was necessary to avoid the fiscal cliff? How did he get a mandate on this issue?

Forum List

Back