Obama, late 2009 / Reagan, late 1981: A comparison

There are many other parallels:

• Both inherited mounting debt and unemployment from their predecessor
  • Both inherited much increased commodity prices from their predecessor
  • Both were very popular a few months earlier (in the 60%'s)
  • Both dealt with their economic situations by increasing the deficit
You missed one:

• Both inherited and had at the time the worst possible Congress imaginable.

Actually, foreign countries are now starting to warm up to us again after the dismal foreign policy choices of the Bush administration.

warming with which country? Iran???

even his Secretary of State thinks Obama's being naive there

but I like the new Obamabot reasoning - Bush was really bad, so even if we get disrespected for being weak, at least we're being nice to dictators

just remember the last time a Dem tried appeasing dictators, he lost 44 states in his re-election bid

Not with the current Iranian administration, no. With the Iranian people (who desire democracy and freedom, and are a very good "people"), yes. Obama is at least in good part directly responsible for what's happening in Iran after the so-called election. He's given them the "hope" to challenge their government (and I for one am really impressed).

I guarantee you there will be NO direct diplomatic negotiations with ahmadinejad short of "insisting" they cease their nuclear aspirations. There is NO NEED. He will not be in power much longer. Don't believe me? Google this "Ahmadinejad is not my president" and see what you find...

The truth is, Obama is the most popular president in the world. And yes, that "does" pay dividends. Considering the potential disasters he inherited, he's done exceptionally well so far.

but I like the new Obamabot reasoning - Bush was really bad, so even if we get disrespected for being weak, at least we're being nice to dictators

Can I have some of what you're smokin?:lol: First, we're not being "nice" to anyone. And second, who and how, exactly, is disrepecting us for being weak?

just remember the last time a Dem tried appeasing dictators, he lost 44 states in his re-election bid

Carter? lol, ummm, remember the botched rescue attempt? How is that appeasing? He lost the election because he was incompetent on domestic affairs (ie the economy), and because of the botched rescue attempt. I'm not against dissing Carter for the bonehead attempt (and blame him for the failure), but I'm not gonna play revisionist history games and try to compare the 2 times and situations. "appeasing dictators" had nothing to do with it.

-sensored

Last edited:
Let's look at the numbers at the end of his term. Personally, I think Obama will be lucky to have Carter's numbers......

Actually, foreign countries are now starting to warm up to us again after the dismal foreign policy choices of the Bush administration.

Idiot.

Obama has devasted Islamic extremism by destroying their mythology.

After Obama's speech in Cairo, Hezbollah lost the election in Lebanon. Then the Pakistanis attacked the Taliban because it became politically ok to do so. Likewise, Obama's peace overtures to Iran almost brought down the Iranian government. Now the Mullahs in Iran have been exposed to their own people as dictators. In case after case Obama has used diplomacy to devastate our enemies.

And that doesn't even count what happened to the Somali pirates.

Let's look at the numbers at the end of his term. Personally, I think Obama will be lucky to have Carter's numbers......

Your avatar is perfect by the way.

Obama is going to be reelected easily.

Most of the people who hate him are old white racists, and there are fewer of them every day that passes.

With a very similar economic situation and trouble in the middle east left over from the last president, Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama had the following Approval ratings at roughly this point in their presidency:

Ronald Reagan, Fourth Quarter 1981 Approval Rating (Gallup):
Approve: 49% / Disapprove: 41%

Ronald Reagan From the People's Perspective: A Gallup Poll Review

Barack Obama, Current Approval Rating (RCP Average):
Approve: 53.3 / Disapprove: 40.8%

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

Seems about even, Obama may be a little ahead, though the gallup poll was a month or to later in the year.

Interesting. Thoughts?

Well, you forgot to add:

That Reagan lowered taxes to stimulate the economy--commonly known as trickle down economics. It worked--

Vs.

Obama signing off on a massive government spending bill called the 787 BILLION dollar so called economic stimulus bill. That hasn't worked.

When will Americans finally realise that massive government spending--does not equate to private sector job growth?

No one can borrow & spend their way to prosperity.

$Earmarks-Signing-Statement.jpg

Obama & Reagan are polar opposites when dealing with poor economies.

Last edited:

Most of the people who hate him are old white racists, and there are fewer of them every day that passes.

We'll see, plenty of people felt the same way about Jerry Ford, and Jimmy Carter. Historically, it will all depend on the economy. If the economy is in the shitter for the next few years (highly likely) , he is going to have a very difficult time getting reelected regardless of anything else he does. The 2010 midterms will be a good barometer.

BTW, I don't know anyone who hates Obama. I know plenty of people, like me, that disagree with his policies. Are they all racists too? lol....

PS- My Avatar is one of the greatest minds of the twentieth century. Do you know who he is?

We'll see, plenty of people felt the same way about Jerry Ford, and Jimmy Carter. Historically, it will all depend on the economy. If the economy is in the shitter for the next few years (highly likely) , he is going to have a very difficult time getting reelected regardless of anything else he does. The 2010 midterms will be a good barometer.

BTW, I don't know anyone who hates Obama. I know plenty of people, like me, that disagree with his policies. Are they all racists too? lol....

PS- My Avatar is one of the greatest minds of the twentieth century. Do you know who he is?

The Republicans should win the off year election, because the party out of power usually does.

The economy is going to be fine, once we re-regulate Wall Street, and stop wasting our money in Iraq. We also need to raise taxes on the rich.

Obama will kick ass in 2012 because the Republicans will run some lame ass candidate like Romney, or Huckabee or Palin.

And no, I don't know your avatar is.

The head of the Mormon church?

With a very similar economic situation and trouble in the middle east left over from the last president, Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama had the following Approval ratings at roughly this point in their presidency:

Seems about even, Obama may be a little ahead, though the gallup poll was a month or to later in the year.

Interesting. Thoughts?

Well, you forgot to add:

That Reagan lowered taxes to stimulate the economy--commonly known as trickle down economics. It worked--

Vs.

Obama signing off on a massive government spending bill called the 787 BILLION dollar so called economic stimulus bill. That hasn't worked.

When will Americans finally realise that massive government spending--does not equate to private sector job growth?

View attachment 8206

I just love revisionist history buffs....Wanna see what Reagan started? Here....

National-Debt-GDP-L.gif

In the last 50 years, nearly ALL the decreases in the national debt occurred during Democratic presidencies. Notice what happened during the years Reagan was in office??? Yes, his tax cuts "primed" the economy, and began a slippery slope that ended with the "irrational exuberance" of the market, in much the same way as Bush's/Obama's "stimulus" has done the same.

Approx 60% of the money loaned to banks has ALREADY been paid back, so that money needs to be deducted from the 700b. And the economy is ALREADY on the verge of growth (albeit very small). The housing market has stabilized. The market is up 50% since January, retail sales are up, and I could go on, and Bernanke says we are "probably" out of recession already.

Yes, the unemployment rate is very high, but NOTHING Obama has done as president caused it, or accelerated it. It's the LAST lagging indicator of recovery, and will take awhile.

You know, I laugh when you talk about 2010 and 2012. As if you guys are mad, and so the entire minority is going to show up and put an end to this madness. Well, guess what? Demographics say otherwise, and it will be a VERY long time before the GOP regains control of the presidency. I'm actually half expecting one of the Independent parties to replace it as the "2nd" party over the next 20 years or so. Time will tell...

-sensored

So, all the crazy partisan banter from both sides aside, this presidency seems to be shaping up to be another Reagan-esque presidency?

I'm feeling pretty comfortable with that, except perhaps also for the deficit spending part.

Dollar to ten dozen stale donuts Obama wont come close to providing even 1/2 of the 21 milliion jobs created during the Reagan administration.:lol:

[

Idiot.

Obama has devasted Islamic extremism by destroying their mythology.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Yeah, those Islamic extremists in the Swat valley are sending in their apps to drive cabs in NY because htey know they're out of a job.
What a tool.

So, all the crazy partisan banter from both sides aside, this presidency seems to be shaping up to be another Reagan-esque presidency?

I'm feeling pretty comfortable with that, except perhaps also for the deficit spending part.

Dollar to ten dozen stale donuts Obama wont come close to providing even 1/2 of the 21 milliion jobs created during the Reagan administration.:lol:

I would take that bet if we could specifiy jobs in the Federal bureaucracy and NGOs like ACORN.

Wow. Were you alive during the last 8 years, much less the last 29?
Bush issued a veto a total of 12 times. Of those 4 were over-ridden and 2 were passed later with his approval. So he was hardly the veto machine you make him out to be. In fact, an early criticism (on the right) was that he didnt veto enough.
That compares to Clinton using the veto 37 times in the same period.
As for Reagan being loved by the media, what are you smoking? The media hated Reagan, portraying him as senile, bumbling, and out of touch. They were hoping to pin Iran Contra on him and make him resign. That was the whole purpose of those absurd hearings.

Bush issued vetoes 12 times IN THE LAST 2 YEARS OF HIS PRESIDENCY.

Of course he didn't issue them before then, because it was a Republican congress.

In addition he threatened a Veto 40 TIMES, and since the Democrats didn't have the numbers in the Senate to over-ride a veto, they didn't waste their time.

So that would be a total of 52 times that Democrats were unable to pass legislation thanks to the Bush Veto pen.

Clinton used the Veto pen 37 Times over an 8-year period. If Bush had kept up his numbers for all 8 years, he would have Vetoed 48 pieces of legislation.

Nice try though.

And as far as the media "hating" Reagan went? In your dreams. It was the Democrats who were trying to "pin" Iran Contra on Reagan, not the press.

And Reagan was guilty as hell in Iran Contra. "I don't remember" my ass.

I guess you haven't been abroad lately, or near the UN, or paying attention to any foreign media.

The world loves Obama. Europe apparently thinks he's the best thing since the invention of bread.

But of course you wouldn't know that because FoxNews doesn't air any favorable stories about Democrats.

You missed one:

• Both inherited and had at the time the worst possible Congress imaginable.

Possibly, but I'll hold my judgement on this congress until the legislations they are making pass or not.

Interesting. Thoughts?

Well, you forgot to add:

Vs.

View attachment 8206

Actually, unemployment growth kept rising for 2 1/2 Years after Reagan took office, reaching an all-time high of 10.4% at the end of 1983, after which it finally started coming down.

Obama's unemployment growth is already starting to slow, 8 months into his presidency.

Ronald Reagan's "Stimulus" was a tax cut, which was later reversed.

Obama had a tax rebate as part of his stimulus.

The facts are the facts. You may not like them, but there they are.

Forum List

Back