CDZ Obama - Just Lucky ?

12th best per historians at present. But by the time we're mercifully rid of The Dotard .. he may climb up a notch or two.

Barack Obama has been whisked to a very good table at the club of former presidents, according to a C-SPAN survey of 91 presidential historians published on Friday. Obama’s 12th-place ranking only a month after leaving office is the best for any president since Ronald Reagan, who ranks ninth in the new survey. The list updates previous C-SPAN surveys compiled in 2009 and 2000.

Historians gave Obama high marks for pursuing equality, managing the economy, public persuasion and “moral authority.” On the other hand, he was judged to have been below-average in handling international relations. Overall, he placed ahead of such generally well-regarded chief executives as James Monroe and James Polk.​

Barack Obama Ranked 12th Best U.S. President Ever in Major Survey of Historians

12th best per historians at present. But by the time we're mercifully rid of The Dotard .. he may climb up a notch or two.

Barack Obama has been whisked to a very good table at the club of former presidents, according to a C-SPAN survey of 91 presidential historians published on Friday. Obama’s 12th-place ranking only a month after leaving office is the best for any president since Ronald Reagan, who ranks ninth in the new survey. The list updates previous C-SPAN surveys compiled in 2009 and 2000.

Historians gave Obama high marks for pursuing equality, managing the economy, public persuasion and “moral authority.” On the other hand, he was judged to have been below-average in handling international relations. Overall, he placed ahead of such generally well-regarded chief executives as James Monroe and James Polk.​

Barack Obama Ranked 12th Best U.S. President Ever in Major Survey of Historians
I would believe that if we only had 12 presidents.

There is a general consensus around the world that Obama was a good President. I suspect the view is a bit more mixed in the US where partisanship is king.

But was he that good ?

He inherited a basket case from Bush and was able to save the country. And then he handed it on to Trump.

How much credit should he get for that ? Do Bush and Trump make him look better because they are so bad ?

How good a President was Obama ?

He inherited a basket case from Bush and was able to save the country.

What did he do that saved the country?

There is a general consensus around the world that Obama was a good President. I suspect the view is a bit more mixed in the US where partisanship is king.

But was he that good ?

He inherited a basket case from Bush and was able to save the country. And then he handed it on to Trump.

How much credit should he get for that ? Do Bush and Trump make him look better because they are so bad ?

/----/ "He inherited a basket case from Bush and was able to save the country. And then he handed it on to Trump " I reject your premise. Obozo took what should have been a 6 month mild recession and turned it into an 8 year long one. GDP was in the tank when Trump won. it has almost doubled since no thanks to Obozo.
View attachment 174744
Quote) Guess you did not have any stock, own a home, or other property. if you had you could never say, "it should have been a mild recession lasting 6 months" Go look up what was happening with Wall street & banks the months be for Obama took office.

Go look up what was happening with Wall street & banks the months be for Obama took office.

It's true, most of the rescue plans, TARP and QE, were in place before he took office.

Historians today are nothing but revisionists. Progressive bitches omitting the facts that do not fit their narrative. History and their interpretation of it is just a tool of very deluded dishonest people.

Nonsense - Ever listen to Michael Beschloss, John Meacham, or Doris Kearns Goodwin?

They're like walking presidential encyclopedias

Historians today are nothing but revisionists. Progressive bitches omitting the facts that do not fit their narrative. History and their interpretation of it is just a tool of very deluded dishonest people.

Nonsense - Ever listen to Michael Beschloss, John Meacham, or Doris Kearns Goodwin?

They're like walking presidential encyclopedias

Anybody who says Barack Obama was our 12th best president is deluded or a total ideologue.

But was he that good ?

He was the worst president in modern times. Claims about him like in the OP are based on ignorance. It took 8 years for the economy to recover. That is just plain awful. Why did it take so long? Because 0bama is a self-proclaimed enemy of free enterprise, business, and capitalism. That’s why as soon as he was gone, everything got better.

He fucked up our foreign policy, allowed Iran to develop nuclear weapons, got border agents killed, weapinuzed the IRS and the FBI, got soldiers killed in Benghazi, did nothing for blacks and women, drove a wedge between whites and blacks, caused this country’s credit rating to drop, paid ransom to Iran, and lies every time he spoke for 8 straight years.

Bush was not a terrible POTUS, the economy was not his fault, those are just lies by the left.

Trump is far better than 0bama in every single respect.

Frankly I am surprised this country survived his 8 horrible years.

But was he that good ?

/----/ "He inherited a basket case from Bush and was able to save the country. And then he handed it on to Trump " I reject your premise. Obozo took what should have been a 6 month mild recession and turned it into an 8 year long one. GDP was in the tank when Trump won. it has almost doubled since no thanks to Obozo.
View attachment 174744
Quote) Guess you did not have any stock, own a home, or other property. if you had you could never say, "it should have been a mild recession lasting 6 months" Go look up what was happening with Wall street & banks the months be for Obama took office.
/—-/ I’ve owned stock and a home since 1978 and rental property for 15 years. Got any other wrong assumptions I can mock?
QUOTE) Not trying to start an argument with you. even though our business that we lived off of was not effected much, it very much hurt our property value, our stock, we where holding for retirement crashed, it took 8 years to get back where we had started,
and property values are still down. depending where you live, & what stock you had at that time. you could have been effected less, but no way not effected at all. for many people who had the largest part of there income/ wealth realized through there stock or property it was all most total destruction.so I ask, how could the majority of property owners/ stock holders recover in 6 months?

But was he that good ?

View attachment 174744
/—-/ I’ve owned stock and a home since 1978 and rental property for 15 years. Got any other wrong assumptions I can mock?
QUOTE) Not trying to start an argument with you. even though our business that we lived off of was not effected much, it very much hurt our property value, our stock, we where holding for retirement crashed, it took 8 years to get back where we had started,
and property values are still down. depending where you live, & what stock you had at that time. you could have been effected less, but no way not effected at all. for many people who had the largest part of there income/ wealth realized through there stock or property it was all most total destruction.so I ask, how could the majority of property owners/ stock holders recover in 6 months?
/----/ To protect my stocks I always buy PUTS and use a trailing stock loss. And you don't lose any money in falling stocks until you sell and lock the loss in. Property values is only meaningful when you go to sell. You gotta live somewhere.
And it's not just my opinion on the mild Bush recession: Obama didn't end the Great Recession that Bush didn't cause - AEI
But it was the Fed’s monetary policy miscues after the downturn began that turned a run-of-the-mill recession into a once-in-a-century disaster. Not only did the Fed leave rates alone between April 2008 and October 2008 as the economy deteriorated, but the FOMC “effectively tightened monetary policy in June by pushing up the expected path of the federal funds rate through the hawkish statements of its members.

Have you ever encountered a person who made a financial mess of themselves and the "world around them" no matter what "legs up" they may have been given? Such a person is what I'm reminded of when I look at the 1980s and later GOP-administered/executed fiscal management of government funds.
  • Reagan -- He oversaw recovery, but then proceeded to drive the country to huge deficits.
  • Bush I -- Continued the deficit spending.
  • Clinton -- Left the country with a budget surplus.
  • Bush II -- Spent all of the surplus and then some and left the country in a financial mess.
  • Obama -- Oversaw the recovery from the financial mess, but had to use deficit spending to do it.
  • Trump -- Just signed a bill that increases the deficit spending from some ~$660B to some ~$2T.
Of all the things I had hoped Trump would have done, not committing to spending more than the federal government takes in would have been the one thing I actually expected him to do, if for no other reason than that Republicans have for decades been "on about" not increasing the federal government's debt.

But was he that good ?

View attachment 174744

Yes, obummer was great for the wealthy elite. However, if you were middle class you lost net worth for the first time in 40 years. That takes a particular breed of incompetence to do that.

Have you ever encountered a person who made a financial mess of themselves and the "world around them" no matter what "legs up" they may have been given? Such a person is what I'm reminded of when I look at the 1980s and later GOP-administered/executed fiscal management of government funds.
  • Reagan -- He oversaw recovery, but then proceeded to drive the country to huge deficits.
  • Bush I -- Continued the deficit spending.
  • Clinton -- Left the country with a budget surplus.
  • Bush II -- Spent all of the surplus and then some and left the country in a financial mess.
  • Obama -- Oversaw the recovery from the financial mess, but had to use deficit spending to do it.
  • Trump -- Just signed a bill that increases the deficit spending from some ~$660B to some ~$2T.
Of all the things I had hoped Trump would have done, not committing to spending more than the federal government takes in would have been the one thing I actually expected him to do, if for no other reason than that Republicans have for decades been "on about" not increasing the federal government's debt.

Trump -- Just signed a bill that increases the deficit spending from some ~$660B to some ~$2T.

What year is the deficit projected to be $2T?

"The staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) estimates that enacting the bill would reduce revenues by about $1,438 billion over the 2018-2027 period, and decrease outlays by $2 billion over the same period, leading to an increase in the deficit of $1,437 billion over the next 10 years."
(Source)

Given that 2017 deficit spending was ~$660B (H.R. 1 became law in 2017), increasing deficit spending by ~$1,400 billion over the next decade will put deficit spending at $2T by 2027.

"The staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) estimates that enacting the bill would reduce revenues by about $1,438 billion over the 2018-2027 period, and decrease outlays by $2 billion over the same period, leading to an increase in the deficit of $1,437 billion over the next 10 years."
(Source)

Given that 2017 deficit spending was ~$660B (H.R. 1 became law in 2017), increasing deficit spending by ~$1,400 billion over the next decade will put deficit spending at $2T by 2027.

Unless the annual deficit without the tax cut was projected to be $1.85 trillion in 2027, adding $150 billion a year in deficits will not make any annual deficit $2 trillion.

But was he that good ?

Obama was ok. Looking at the healthcare problem and doing SOMETHING about it was a great move. After that he looked worn down and uninspired.

Economically he was ok if not inspiring also. The economy rebounded under Obama's gentle guidance.

The lack of economic awareness of the "W" does make Obama look like a genius. Trump's policies we will have to judge in a few years. In a way Trumpanomics just seems like more deficit spending under a different name and randomly removed regulations so I'm not shocked.

To me the race riots under Obama were surprising. He definitely did not get an "A" for his handling of the events. Were they festering from situations out of his control? As someone who lives in St Louis let me say YES. But his master oratory skills were gone by then and he looked like a beaten man. While the riots were not Obama's fault by any means, did he help the situation? I'm not sure.

If you want a letter grade I'll give Obama a "B".

Forum List

Back