Obama Jobs Bill proposes letting the jobless sue for discrimination

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

Advocates for the unemployed have cheered a push by the Obama administration to ban discrimination against the jobless. But business groups and their allies are calling the effort unnecessary and counterproductive.

The job creation bill that President Obama sent to Congress earlier this month includes a provision that would allow unsuccessful job applicants to sue if they think a company of 15 more employees denied them a job because they were unemployed.

The provision would ban employment ads that explicitly declare the unemployed ineligible, with phrases like "Jobless need not apply." As The Lookout has reported, such ads appear to have proliferated in recent years, prompting an inquiry by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Democratic lawmakers in both the House and the Senate have introduced similar measures. Obama said recently that discrimination against the unemployed makes "absolutely no sense," especially because many people find themselves out of work through no fault of their own.

Obama proposes letting the jobless sue for discrimination | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

I guess Obama's jobs bill will keep the lawyers employed and rich. :eusa_eh:

CaféAuLait;4201645 said:

Advocates for the unemployed have cheered a push by the Obama administration to ban discrimination against the jobless. But business groups and their allies are calling the effort unnecessary and counterproductive.

The job creation bill that President Obama sent to Congress earlier this month includes a provision that would allow unsuccessful job applicants to sue if they think a company of 15 more employees denied them a job because they were unemployed.

The provision would ban employment ads that explicitly declare the unemployed ineligible, with phrases like "Jobless need not apply." As The Lookout has reported, such ads appear to have proliferated in recent years, prompting an inquiry by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Democratic lawmakers in both the House and the Senate have introduced similar measures. Obama said recently that discrimination against the unemployed makes "absolutely no sense," especially because many people find themselves out of work through no fault of their own.

Obama proposes letting the jobless sue for discrimination | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

I guess Obama's jobs bill will keep the lawyers employed and rich. :eusa_eh:

This doesn't even have good intentions..pretty scary

You just won't see ads for jobs! There are precious few as it is.

If you want a job, you have to know someone who knows someone that's looking. Word of mouth. Getting employment will be like the old speakeasy days. Go to the back door and say "Joe sent me".

To me these days you need a trade instead of an education. Hubby has been out of the navy since 07 he is a master mechanic and so far so good he was able to keep a job. He did get laid off once but had a job before his last day and he had 2 months severance pay . He quit that job and got a job back at his first job. He has only been back for 2 months and already a full employee they hire temp to full. There are people there over a year who is not a full employee but his work ethic got him a bump ..

So people who are unemployed SHOULD be discriminated against? I hadn't heard about them suing- I must listen to off the wall Pub haters more...

For example, in certain industries being unemployed for a prolonged period leads to erosion of skills.

Businesses that don't want to hire unemployed workers, don't have that policy, because they want to be mean, they are acting in what they feel is their best business interests..Who is Obama to say what critieria is the best for their business?

So people who are unemployed SHOULD be discriminated against? I hadn't heard about them suing- I must listen to off the wall Pub haters more...

For example, in certain industries being unemployed for a prolonged period leads to erosion of skills.

Businesses that don't want to hire unemployed workers, don't have that policy, because they want to be mean, they are acting in what they feel is their best business interests..Who is Obama to say what critieria is the best for their business?

who is the administration to say where a business can build an assembly plant, say, for airliners?

yeah.. that's exactly what we're all saying.... not.

Moron.

You're ALL brainwashed shytteheads. Me? Masters in History, speak 3 languages, 145 IQ. You? Doctorate in Glenn Beck? Azzhole.

Next they'll propose making it illegal to ask an applicant about their job history. How is something as peripheral as this supposed to help job creation?

Moron.

You're ALL brainwashed shytteheads. Me? Masters in History, speak 3 languages, 145 IQ. You? Doctorate in Glenn Beck? Azzhole.

How would you assess someones on time, shows up everyday performance? Without reference?

Actuaslly, the discrimination against those that are unemp;loyed have nothing to do with erosion of skills.

It has to do with dedication...and I dont necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.

Employers are well aware that if they hire one who is unemployed, that person is taking the position out of need for a job; not out of desire for the opportunity itself. This is not always the case, but more often than not it is.

So if they hire that person and then a true oipportunity in their field of choice arises, they are likely to leave, costing that empooyer time of training and a loss of momentum.

On the other hand, if an employer hires one who is already employed, it is likely that the empoloyee is accepting the job for the right reasons.

I do not know where I stand on this....but to be frank...with unemployment at 9.2%, I think we need to put a stop to it for the time being.

who is the administration to say where a business can build an assembly plant, say, for airliners?

Sorry about laws to protect workers. You're the unpatriotic, bottom line only marketing wizard who outsources to India to save, as it turns out, NOTHING, including your business, when the demand disappears. Typical shortsighted selfish Pub douchebag. Hoping for your recovery, functional total A-hole.

Actuaslly, the discrimination against those that are unemp;loyed have nothing to do with erosion of skills.

It has to do with dedication...and I dont necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.

Employers are well aware that if they hire one who is unemployed, that person is taking the position out of need for a job; not out of desire for the opportunity itself. This is not always the case, but more often than not it is.

So if they hire that person and then a true oipportunity in their field of choice arises, they are likely to leave, costing that empooyer time of training and a loss of momentum.

On the other hand, if an employer hires one who is already employed, it is likely that the empoloyee is accepting the job for the right reasons.

I do not know where I stand on this....but to be frank...with unemployment at 9.2%, I think we need to put a stop to it for the time being.

I can hire anyone or not hire anyone I want to as long as it is not due a very few factors. Job status is not and should not be one of those factors.

It always has been known that it is easier to find a job when you are employed than when you are not... for various reasons.

Cool.

WTF? Don't apply for a job if your unemployed?

:lol:

What we seeing by these pricks is another attempt to completely undermine labor.

They should be ashamed.

Moron.

the only 'Masters' you have is your Masters of the Universe action figure collection.

As for the IQ? I seriously doubt you're in the top 1% of the population. You must have left out the decimal after the 4.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back