Obama Job Killing Regulations

Nova78

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado
For more than 90 years, the coal-fired power plant in Glen Lyn, Va., has been churning out electricity and contributing to local prosperity. Of late, it has generated nearly a quarter of the revenue for the $1 million budget of the town.

Yet when the plant ultimately shuts down to comply with new federal air pollution regulations by the end of 2014, says Town Manager Howard Spencer, so too might the community of 200.

"If the town lost all of that revenue," he says, "we would struggle to even continue to be incorporated."

An Associated Press analysis has found that more than 32 mostly coal-fired power plants in a dozen states will be forced to close because of the new, more stringent regulations. Another 36 plants are at risk of closing.No lights will go dark. But the Environmental Protection Agency has estimated that 14.7 gigawatts — enough power for more than 11 million households — will be retired from the power grid in the 2014-15 period when the rules take effect. One rule curbs air pollution in states downwind from dirty power plants. Another sets first standards for mercury and other toxic pollutants from smokestacks.

The effect is greatest in the Midwest and in coal belt states such as Virginia and West Virginia, where dozens of units are likely to shut down.

Take Giles County, where American Electric Power's Glen Lyn plant is located, and where 44 jobs are on the line.

County Administrator Chris McKlarney worries about the $600,000 tax-revenue hit his $40 million budget will take. But that's just one concern involving a plant and workers whose community contribution is "hard to quantify."

"They've done so much donation-wise for local causes ... And they're really good people working there," he said. "They're coaches in Little League sports, involved in the Parent-Teacher Organization — you lose those kind of people, it's tough."

And they're good jobs — stable, well-paying positions with good benefits in places where such things can be hard to find.

The closures, though, have long been anticipated. The average age of the plants that could be sacrificed is 51 years.

Hope and Change ?

Conservative: Obama's regulations are costing jobs.

Leftist: No, they're not!

C: Yes, they are. Look at the OP.

L: *sputter sputter* Well, those coal plants are killing kids! Why do you hate kids?!

C: So, nothing to say about the jobs lost?

L: Why should I be upset about kid-killers being put out of work?!

C: ...

Conservative: Obama's regulations are costing jobs.

Leftist: No, they're not!

C: Yes, they are. Look at the OP.

L: *sputter sputter* Well, those coal plants are killing kids! Why do you hate kids?!

C: So, nothing to say about the jobs lost?

L: Why should I be upset about kid-killers being put out of work?!

C: ...

Here let me answer:
C: So liberal you'd rather kids starve and people freeze while Obama rides his little blke in Hawaii?

Attachments

• $images.jpg
    $images.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 120
As for the job losses, which, if you read the article, have been anticipated for years now, I have zero problems with them. As the article states, most people will retire or transfer to other plants, so while the jobs lost will be felt in those communities, other communities will get needed workers and having people retire and leave the work force is always a good thing with high unemployment. Not to mention the obvious health issues and increased quality of life for those communities.

All in all, this is a good thing.

So let's see, centralized government control of:

Health? check

Education? check

Capital? check

Economy? check

Energy? check

Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness? check

As for the job losses, which, if you read the article, have been anticipated for years now, I have zero problems with them. As the article states, most people will retire or transfer to other plants, so while the jobs lost will be felt in those communities, other communities will get needed workers and having people retire and leave the work force is always a good thing with high unemployment. Not to mention the obvious health issues and increased quality of life for those communities.

All in all, this is a good thing.

Industries like this is usually the backbone in rural areas. It will kill small districts. In my country they just decided to open more coal mines since it is very important for job creation in rural areas.

The consumers in the large cities should concentrate on reducing their consumption rather than closing down coal mines that are extremely important for small communities. The focus must be on reducing consumption not closing down production facilities that are proffitable and create important jobs. But it’s easy to sit in DC and say that this aint good jobs.

For more than 90 years, the coal-fired power plant in Glen Lyn, Va., has been churning out electricity and contributing to local prosperity. Of late, it has generated nearly a quarter of the revenue for the $1 million budget of the town.

Yet when the plant ultimately shuts down to comply with new federal air pollution regulations by the end of 2014, says Town Manager Howard Spencer, so too might the community of 200.

"If the town lost all of that revenue," he says, "we would struggle to even continue to be incorporated."

An Associated Press analysis has found that more than 32 mostly coal-fired power plants in a dozen states will be forced to close because of the new, more stringent regulations. Another 36 plants are at risk of closing.No lights will go dark. But the Environmental Protection Agency has estimated that 14.7 gigawatts — enough power for more than 11 million households — will be retired from the power grid in the 2014-15 period when the rules take effect. One rule curbs air pollution in states downwind from dirty power plants. Another sets first standards for mercury and other toxic pollutants from smokestacks.

The effect is greatest in the Midwest and in coal belt states such as Virginia and West Virginia, where dozens of units are likely to shut down.

Take Giles County, where American Electric Power's Glen Lyn plant is located, and where 44 jobs are on the line.

County Administrator Chris McKlarney worries about the $600,000 tax-revenue hit his $40 million budget will take. But that's just one concern involving a plant and workers whose community contribution is "hard to quantify."

"They've done so much donation-wise for local causes ... And they're really good people working there," he said. "They're coaches in Little League sports, involved in the Parent-Teacher Organization — you lose those kind of people, it's tough."

And they're good jobs — stable, well-paying positions with good benefits in places where such things can be hard to find.

The closures, though, have long been anticipated. The average age of the plants that could be sacrificed is 51 years.

Hope and Change ?

Hmmmm.....I work in the coal fired power plant industry and I can tell you that you sure as hell wouldn't want to live near one, especially a big one like I work in that spews out tons of mercury. It's so bad that our state health officials are saying that people should not eat the fish in nearby lakes and streams.

http://www.ifishillinois.org/pdf/09consumption.pdf

We are in the process of installing mercury controls that should greatly reduce the levels of mercury that we put out.

It only makes good sense to me.

Hope and Change ?

Remember OBAMA told us he wanted to BANKRUPT these companies!

"So, if somebody wants to build a coal[electric utility] plant, they can it’s just that it will bankrupt them,!"
Obama: We’ll bankrupt any new coal plants « Hot Air

Of course regulations prevent certain jobs from being economical. That's the point. When someone sells a product (such as energy) in a way that imposes a substantial cost on society (such as coal pollution) society has a right to force the producer to bear those costs. If it is not economical for them to sell their product when they can't make society pay a substantial amount of their costs then they shouldn't sell their product.

And the notion that our national energy policy should be informed by who participates in Little League is absurd.

Of course regulations prevent certain jobs from being economical. That's the point. When someone sells a product (such as energy) in a way that imposes a substantial cost on society (such as coal pollution) society has a right to force the producer to bear those costs. If it is not economical for them to sell their product when they can't make society pay a substantial amount of their costs then they shouldn't sell their product.

And the notion that our national energy policy should be informed by who participates in Little League is absurd.

AH.. you are right Comrade!
The Central planning committee KNOWS a lot more from their elite limo then anyone that lives in the planned communities!
And this same central planning committee will continue to tell the little league participants that baseball is unsafe and can't be played because statistically it is too expensive to the collective!!!

Hmmmm.....I work in the coal fired power plant industry and I can tell you that you sure as hell wouldn't want to live near one, especially a big one like I work in that spews out tons of mercury. It's so bad that our state health officials are saying that people should not eat the fish in nearby lakes and streams.

We are in the process of installing mercury controls that should greatly reduce the levels of mercury that we put out.

Well, you're say-so certainly is convincing evidence. You're obviously qualified to judge the health issues related to the emissions from coal fired power plants.

NOT!

I'm working in Milwaukee at the moment, and there is a giant coal fired plant right in the middle of downtown. I used to live in Denver, and there are coal fired power plants there in right smack in the middle residential areas. No one has ever shown that coal fired power plants are a health concern, especially not the EPA. All they do is extrapolate from highly dubious studies about the health effects of high levels of Mercury. These studies are authored by organizations that receive money from the EPA.

The whole thing is a scam to increase the power of the EPA and impose an agenda on the public that it would emphatically reject if it had all the facts.

Claims about the environmental impact of coal fired plants are science fiction. No one has ever demonstrated any negative health effects from coal fired power plants.

So let's see, centralized government control of:

Health? check

Education? check

Capital? check

Economy? check

Energy? check

Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness? check

Someone has an awfully loose definition of control? check

There are some cons that would sell out their own mothers if it meant a job for them.

Why don't you use your brains and create your own jobs, stop relying on your corporate masters to provide you with a barely above minimum wage existence that you'll do anything to protect including giving up your own tax cuts so that your owners can get a bigger piece of the pie.

Claims about the environmental impact of coal fired plants are science fiction. No one has ever demonstrated any negative health effects from coal fired power plants.

You're fucking nuts. I don't think even YOU can believe that bullshit.

Well, you're say-so certainly is convincing evidence. You're obviously qualified to judge the health issues related to the emissions from coal fired power plants.

NOT!

I'm working in Milwaukee at the moment, and there is a giant coal fired plant right in the middle of downtown. I used to live in Denver, and there are coal fired power plants there in right smack in the middle residential areas. No one has ever shown that coal fired power plants are a health concern, especially not the EPA. All they do is extrapolate from highly dubious studies about the health effects of high levels of Mercury. These studies are authored by organizations that receive money from the EPA.

The whole thing is a scam to increase the power of the EPA and impose an agenda on the public that it would emphatically reject if it had all the facts.

Uh-huh. :eusa_hand:

NOT!

I'm working in Milwaukee at the moment, and there is a giant coal fired plant right in the middle of downtown. I used to live in Denver, and there are coal fired power plants there right smack in the middle residential areas. No one has ever shown that coal fired power plants are a health concern, especially not the EPA. All they do is extrapolate from highly dubious studies about the health effects of high levels of Mercury. These studies are authored by organizations that receive money from the EPA.

Uh-huh. :eusa_hand:

Translation: You have been owned.

Forum List

Back