Obama: It takes more than fine speeches

Binden Shovel

Rookie
Sep 8, 2009
It has been fascinating watching the Obama election campaign and his first 8 months in office. Brits generally see Obama as a good thing for America and the rest of the world, in comparison to George Bush.

I like most people was impressed with Obama's speeches, his eloquence and delivery are absolutely awesome. Watching him brought to mind one of my hero's Winston Churchill. He was amazing, the gold standard by which any public speaker would like to be measured.

With Churchill speaking was an important skill, however he possessed an unrivalled strength in depth of other talents that he used to help the allies win the war.

As an impartial observer their seems to be a lot of opinion that speaking appears to be Obama's only skill and that the American public are waiting to see what else he can do.

I recently published a book called Churchill's Secret Skills, the strap line on the cover sums up the position for Obama. "Keeping the Nazi's off the beaches required more than fine speeches". Obama needs to be able to prove he is more than just a great speaker, otherwise his talent will become a burden.

He came into office on a massive tide of expectation, amid a financial hurricane sweeping the world, all of his time will have been taken up dealing with the crisis. In reality, very little of substance can be achieved in 8 months of a first term, so from a British perspective I would say the jury is still out.

As a big fan of America I just hope he is able to deliver the goods.

Binden

He will despite the total effort of the right to resist everything he does just for the sake of resisting.

There is no right wing policy right now. There is an Obama policy and an anti-Obama policy.

I am sorry to believe this, but the current RNC is far more interested in destorying him than in caring about what is good or bad for this country.

Last edited:
He will despite the total effort of the right to resist everything he does just for the sake of resisting.

There is no right wing policy right now. There is an Obama policy and an anti-Obama policy.

I am sorry to believe this, but the current RNC is far more interested in destorying him than in caring about what is good or bad for this country.

Stopping crazy policy is pretty damn good policy. It's also exactly how the liberals dealt with Bush on Iraq.

It has been fascinating watching the Obama election campaign and his first 8 months in office. Brits generally see Obama as a good thing for America and the rest of the world, in comparison to George Bush.

I like most people was impressed with Obama's speeches, his eloquence and delivery are absolutely awesome. Watching him brought to mind one of my hero's Winston Churchill. He was amazing, the gold standard by which any public speaker would like to be measured.

With Churchill speaking was an important skill, however he possessed an unrivalled strength in depth of other talents that he used to help the allies win the war.

As an impartial observer their seems to be a lot of opinion that speaking appears to be Obama's only skill and that the American public are waiting to see what else he can do.

I recently published a book called Churchill's Secret Skills, the strap line on the cover sums up the position for Obama. "Keeping the Nazi's off the beaches required more than fine speeches". Obama needs to be able to prove he is more than just a great speaker, otherwise his talent will become a burden.

He came into office on a massive tide of expectation, amid a financial hurricane sweeping the world, all of his time will have been taken up dealing with the crisis. In reality, very little of substance can be achieved in 8 months of a first term, so from a British perspective I would say the jury is still out.

Binden

My Problem with Obama's speeches is he says stuff I agree with in the speeches he gives, then he acts completely different.

He is very good at saying one thing while doing another. He gets away with it because the majority of the media is complicit in his duplicity.

Part of the problem with politicians these days is that they have to be young to get voted in.

Churchill had a lifetime of experience before he took office. He was 65 when he took on responsibility for defending Britain.

These days anyone over 55 is considered too old for office and yet it is the age and experience that make all the difference.

Binden

Where is Obama's policy? Have you seen it? Care to share it with everyone else?

Obama is nothing more than a cheap Chicagoland political hack. He's not worth the gunpowder it would take to blow him up. He "talks the talk" but can't "walk the walk." History is going to show that he was the worst Presidents we have ever had - worse than even Jimmy Carter, if anybody can actually be that worthless as a President. Most of the sensable people here in America are just sitting back counting the days until he is voted out of office. It was nice that the country elected a black man as it's President but it's a true shame that this was the dirtball they elected. He is a very poor example and is liked only by his band of following sheep.

Binden

No kiddin, that's all he's good for and they aren't speeches, he is reading a teleprompter. It's obvious to anyone who knows anything about the economy that this guy flunked econ 101 and needs to be seriously taking a look at that class again.

Gayboy, do you wash Obama's shorts for him as well?

:eusa_whistle:

If Obama succeeds it will be defined as greatness because of the harsh opposition of the right...even though the left controls everything right now

If he fails he will fail because of the GOP machine working against him.

and the shit stain is more interested in wht is good for him rather than what is best for the country

Binden

My Problem with Obama's speeches is he says stuff I agree with in the speeches he gives, then he acts completely different.

He is very good at saying one thing while doing another. He gets away with it because the majority of the media is complicit in his duplicity.

Good speeches? Thats because they are written for him a month in advance and then he announces when and takes in the feed back and has them re written so he looks good. This is why he always does the opposite because he has no idea.

Binden

Obama: It takes more than fine speeches

Hey ....just for shits and grins...why doncha post a link to any "fine" speach the chimp or pappy made...I'll even toss in reagan.

Now don't be sore ..I voted for all of em.

Just sayin..it's nice to be able to fuckin understand what our prez is sayin for a change.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Binden

Good speeches? Thats because they are written for him a month in advance and then he announces when and takes in the feed back and has them re written so he looks good. This is why he always does the opposite because he has no idea.

He does deliver a good speech. Even last night with him misrepresenting HR3200 and lying about what was in it he sounded good. Even during the fear mongering portions of it where he was basically saying "if you dont pass this people will die" sounded pretty good.

There were quite a few secret skills that nobody knows about and they belonged to other people Churchill was fortunate enough to have working with him. In that he was lucky, as were the rest of us.

Pilgrim:

He does deliver a good speech. Even last night with him misrepresenting HR3200 and lying about what was in it he sounded good. Even during the fear mongering portions of it where he was basically saying "if you dont pass this people will die" sounded pretty good.

He didn't reference any one bill. He mentioned 4 and a 5th allegedly on its way.

Take a transcript of the speech and read it. Then take HR3200 and show me where Obama misrepresented it. Then show me in the speech where he used fear mongering? He's right about people dying because of the way health care is, Plymco, or would you deny that people losing health insurance coverage when seriously ill doesn't put their lives in jeopardy?

What you are doing is baseless. If you think he lied, prove it. Show me where he lied. If you're right, then I'll never vote Democrat again.

Where is Obama's policy? Have you seen it? Care to share it with everyone else?

He shared his healthcare policy with congress and America. Did you watch at all orr did you only listen to Wilson calling him a liar?

Hey you dumb ass motherfuckers! Grassly and Beck and Sara the eskimo said there are death panels in the bills!!!

Obama is LYING!!!!!

Why can't you bozos just get it through your HEADS???????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Take a transcript of the speech and read it. Then take HR3200 and show me where Obama misrepresented it. Then show me in the speech where he used fear mongering? He's right about people dying because of the way health care is, Plymco, or would you deny that people losing health insurance coverage when seriously ill doesn't put their lives in jeopardy?

What you are doing is baseless. If you think he lied, prove it. Show me where he lied. If you're right, then I'll never vote Democrat again.

1) HR3200 will not increase the debt by a dime
2) Only 5% of americans will be affected by HR3200

Theres 2 you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out....now here is a tougher one

3) There are no government panels to decide on what care is acceptable....this post is about to get long so i can show you how the language of HR3200 directly contradicst this statement.

The party line is that if you currently have health insurance, sure, you can keep it. They call this “grandfathering” in your plan. But Section 102: PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT COVERAGE doesn’t protect anything except the government-run “gateways” and “exchanges” because the day you decide to give up your current plan, it’s all over but the shouting because unless you enroll in an employer-provided plan (that must provide no less than exactly the same benefits as the government’s plan), it’s straight into the machine for you.

These are the key excerpts (section 102):

(1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT-

(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day of Y1.

(Notice that this is the sum total of verbiage in “this paragraph”. There are NO exceptions. Health insurers may no longer enroll new plan participants.)
(c) Limitation on Individual Health Insurance Coverage-

(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.

**This means that if a health insurance company wants to stay in business, it must get in bed with the government.**

(2) SEPARATE, EXCEPTED COVERAGE PERMITTED- Excepted benefits (as defined in section 2791(c) of the Public Health Service Act) are not included within the definition of health insurance coverage. Nothing in paragraph (1) shall prevent the offering, other than through the Health Insurance Exchange, of excepted benefits so long as it is offered and priced separately from health insurance coverage.

***How very kind of them. Separate insurance policies will be “permitted” by the government. If you didn’t ask “What are excepted benefits?” then you deserve the government we’ve got today and don’t come crying to us when some government official tells people that their life isn’t worth the cost of saving it. But because I’m feeling generous today, I’ll ask the question for us all. What are these “excepted benefits”? Well, basically anything except what we all think of as common medical treatments, such as:

• Coverage only for accident, or disability income insurance, or any combination thereof.
  • Coverage issued as a supplement to liability insurance.
  • Liability insurance, including general liability insurance and automobile liability insurance.
  • Workers’ compensation or similar insurance.
  • Automobile medical payment insurance.
  • Credit-only insurance.
  • Coverage for on-site medical clinics
  • Other similar insurance coverage, specified in regulations, under which benefits for medical care are secondary or incidental to other insurance benefits.

Not exactly the “choice” the President, Pelosi, Reid, and those in the media are leading us to believe, is it?

So just what happens to your “health care” once the government gets their guaranteed hold of it? Pull out your airsickness bag and read on.

What is covered:

From section 122 (Essential benefits)

(b) Minimum Services To Be Covered-

1. Hospitalization.
  2. Outpatient hospital and outpatient clinic services, including emergency department services.
  3. Professional services of physicians and other health professionals.
  4. Such services, equipment, and supplies incident to the services of a physician’s or a health professional’s delivery of care in institutional settings, physician offices, patients’ homes or place of residence, or other settings, as appropriate.
  5. Prescription drugs.
  6. Rehabilitative and habilitative services.
  7. Mental health and substance use disorder services.
  8. Preventive services, including those services recommended with a grade of A or B by the Task Force on Clinical Preventive Services and those vaccines recommended for use by the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
  9. Maternity care.
  10. Well baby and well child care and oral health, vision, and hearing services, equipment, and supplies at least for children under 21 years of age.

(1)NO COST-SHARING FOR PREVENTIVE SERVICES- There shall be no cost-sharing under the essential benefits package for preventive items and services (as specified under the benefit standards), including well baby and well child care.

This is the 2008 list of those “preventative services” from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force:

Grade A:

• Cervical cancer screening for women
  • Colorectal cancer screening for men and women over 50
  • Discuss aspirin chemoprevention with adults who are at increased risk for coronary heart disease
  • Screening for high blood pressure in adults aged 18 and older
  • Screening for chlamydial infection for all sexually active non-pregnant young women aged 24 and younger and for older nonpregnant women who are at increased risk
  • Prophylactic ocular topical medication for all newborns against gonococcal ophthalmia neonatorum
  • Screening for hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection in pregnant women at their first prenatal visit
  • Screening for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) all adolescents and adults at increased risk for HIV infection
  • Screening all pregnant women for HIV
  • Screening persons at increased risk for syphilis infection
  • Screening all pregnant women for syphilis infection
  • Screening all adults for tobacco use and provide tobacco cessation interventions for those who use tobacco
  • Screening all pregnant women for tobacco use and provide augmented pregnancy-tailored counseling to those who smoke
  • Rh (D) blood typing and antibody testing for all pregnant women during their first visit for pregnancy-related care
  • Screening for sickle cell disease in newborns

Grade B:

• One-time screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) by ultrasonography in men aged 65 to 75 who have ever smoked
  • Genetic counseling and evaluation for women whose family history is associated with an increased risk for deleterious mutations in BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes (breast & ovarian cancer)
  • Chemoprevention for women at high risk for breast cancer and at low risk for adverse effects of chemoprevention
  • Screening mammography, with or without clinical breast examination (CBE), every 1-2 years for women aged 40 and older
  • Screening for chlamydial infection for all pregnant women aged 24 and younger and for older pregnant women who are at increased risk
  • Screening all sexually active women, including those who are pregnant, for gonorrhea infection if they are at increased risk for infection (that is, if they are young or have other individual or population risk factors)
  • Screening and behavioral counseling interventions to reduce alcohol misuse (go to Clinical Considerations) by adults, including pregnant women, in primary care settings
  • Screening adults for depression in clinical practices that have systems in place to assure accurate diagnosis, effective treatment, and followup
  • Intensive behavioral dietary counseling for adult patients with hyperlipidemia and other known risk factors for cardiovascular and diet-related chronic disease. Intensive counseling can be delivered by primary care clinicians or by referral to other specialists, such as nutritionists or dietitians
  • Routine screening for iron deficiency anemia in asymptomatic pregnant women
  • Routine iron supplementation for asymptomatic children aged 6 to 12 months who are at increased risk for iron deficiency anemia
  • Screening all adult patients for obesity and offer intensive counseling and behavioral interventions to promote sustained weight loss for obese adults
  • Screening women aged 65 and older routinely for osteoporosis. The USPSTF recommends that routine screening begin at age 60 for women at increased risk for osteoporotic fractures
  • Structured breastfeeding education and behavioral counseling programs to promote breastfeeding
  • Primary care clinicians prescribe oral fluoride supplementation at currently recommended doses to preschool children older than 6 months of age whose primary water source is deficient in fluoride
  • Screening to detect amblyopia, strabismus, and defects in visual acuity in children younger than age 5 years

(2) ANNUAL LIMITATION-

Y1 is $5,000 for an individual and $10,000 for a family. Such levels shall be increased (rounded to the nearest $100) for each subsequent year by the annual percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index (United States city average) applicable to such year.

****Pay particular attention to this. It’s your annual out-of-pocket expenses for for anything not included in the Grade A or Grade B list of “preventative items and services”. So although a preventative test may be covered, you’ll still be liable for co-pay expenses to walk in the door to get it. And just like with most plans today, you’ll still be liable to share the costs of fixing anything found wrong with you by those tests.****

Of course we have to have a “Health Benefits Advisory Committee to recommend covered benefits and essential, enhanced, and premium plans.” This will be chaired by the Surgeon General and will have “9 members who are not Federal employees or officers and who are appointed by the President”, “9 members who are not Federal employees or officers and who are appointed by the Comptroller General”, and an “even number of members (not to exceed 8 ) who are Federal employees and officers, as the President may appoint.” A committe with up to 27 members, 18 of whom are picked by the President. The bill says these people will “reflect providers, consumer representatives, employers, labor, health insurance issuers, experts in health care financing and delivery, experts in racial and ethnic disparities, experts in care for those with disabilities, representatives of relevant governmental agencies, and at least one practicing physician or other health professional and an expert on children’s health”. But with no checks and balances on the selection of this group, you can bet they will reflect this or any FUTURE President’s personal opinions and/or especially those to whom they may owe campaign favors.

And, of course we have to have a Health Choices Administration and a Health Choices Commissioner. At least the commissioner will be appointed by the President “by and with the advice and consent of the Senate”. This will be an independent agency that will audit and enforce compliance for all “qualified health benefit plans”, whether or not the plan participates in the government’s “exchange”. They will be able to levy financial penalties and shut down plans that fail to make their grade. The Commissioner will appoint a “Qualified Health Benefits Plan Ombudsman” to help people stuck in the maze of government’s plan find their way out.

Ok this post is way too long winded, i'll stop here.

I have more :)

Forum List

Back