Obama issues 'executive orders by another name'- USA Today

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
Not hard to discern why the United States is going down the crapper. Obama is a lawless POTUS who rules, instead of govern, from the Imperial White House.

-Geaux

---------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON — President Obama has issued a form of executive action known as the presidential memorandum more often than any other president in history — using it to take unilateral action even as he has signed fewer executive orders.

When these two forms of directives are taken together, Obama is on track to take more high-level executive actions than any president since Harry Truman battled the "Do Nothing Congress" almost seven decades ago, according to a USA TODAY review of presidential documents.

Obama has issued executive orders to give federal employees the day after Christmas off, to impose economic sanctions and to determine how national secrets are classified. He's used presidential memoranda to make policy on gun control, immigration and labor regulations. Tuesday, he used a memorandum to declare Bristol Bay, Alaska, off-limits to oil and gas exploration.

USA TODAY

Sen. Grassley: Obama plays word game with executive orders

Like executive orders, presidential memoranda don't require action by Congress. They have the same force of law as executive orders and often have consequences just as far-reaching. And some of the most significant actions of the Obama presidency have come not by executive order but by presidential memoranda.

USA TODAY

Special report: America's perpetual state of emergency

Obama has made prolific use of memoranda despite his own claims that he's used his executive power less than other presidents. "The truth is, even with all the actions I've taken this year, I'm issuing executive orders at the lowest rate in more than 100 years," Obama said in a speech in Austin last July. "So it's not clear how it is that Republicans didn't seem to mind when President Bush took more executive actions than I did."

Obama has issued 195 executive orders as of Tuesday. Published alongside them in the Federal Register are 198 presidential memoranda — all of which carry the same legal force as executive orders.

fTwfaNM.png

He's already signed 33% more presidential memoranda in less than six years than Bush did in eight. He's also issued 45% more than the last Democratic president, Bill Clinton, who assertively used memoranda to signal what kinds of regulations he wanted federal agencies to adopt.

Obama issues executive orders by another name

I am puzzled. You guys loved the idea of a "unitary executive" not so long ago. Next time there is a Republican president maybe you people should not be such shameless cheerleaders of precedent setting expansions of executive power because it is clear no one ever does a thing to dial back those powers.

Not hard to discern why the United States is going down the crapper. Obama is a lawless POTUS who rules, instead of govern, from the Imperial White House.

-Geaux

---------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON — President Obama has issued a form of executive action known as the presidential memorandum more often than any other president in history — using it to take unilateral action even as he has signed fewer executive orders.

When these two forms of directives are taken together, Obama is on track to take more high-level executive actions than any president since Harry Truman battled the "Do Nothing Congress" almost seven decades ago, according to a USA TODAY review of presidential documents.

Obama has issued executive orders to give federal employees the day after Christmas off, to impose economic sanctions and to determine how national secrets are classified. He's used presidential memoranda to make policy on gun control, immigration and labor regulations. Tuesday, he used a memorandum to declare Bristol Bay, Alaska, off-limits to oil and gas exploration.

USA TODAY

Sen. Grassley: Obama plays word game with executive orders

Like executive orders, presidential memoranda don't require action by Congress. They have the same force of law as executive orders and often have consequences just as far-reaching. And some of the most significant actions of the Obama presidency have come not by executive order but by presidential memoranda.

USA TODAY

Special report: America's perpetual state of emergency

Obama has made prolific use of memoranda despite his own claims that he's used his executive power less than other presidents. "The truth is, even with all the actions I've taken this year, I'm issuing executive orders at the lowest rate in more than 100 years," Obama said in a speech in Austin last July. "So it's not clear how it is that Republicans didn't seem to mind when President Bush took more executive actions than I did."

Obama has issued 195 executive orders as of Tuesday. Published alongside them in the Federal Register are 198 presidential memoranda — all of which carry the same legal force as executive orders.

fTwfaNM.png

He's already signed 33% more presidential memoranda in less than six years than Bush did in eight. He's also issued 45% more than the last Democratic president, Bill Clinton, who assertively used memoranda to signal what kinds of regulations he wanted federal agencies to adopt.

Obama issues executive orders by another name

The use of memorandums allows Obama to claim he has written a smaller number of executive orders. Thus another left wing liberal piece of propaganda on Obama's part. Thanks for the info.

I am puzzled. You guys loved the idea of a "unitary executive" not so long ago. Next time there is a Republican president maybe you people should not be such shameless cheerleaders of precedent setting expansions of executive power because it is clear no one ever does a thing to dial back those powers.

Maybe it is the dementia setting in by I don't remember other presidents, democrat or republican, doing what we see Obama doing. Maybe the news is just so out their in your fact that it seems like this is new but I sure don't remember.

Maybe it is the dementia setting in by I don't remember other presidents, democrat or republican, doing what we see Obama doing. Maybe the news is just so out their in your fact that it seems like this is new but I sure don't remember.
Subtract the useless hyperbole and the dire predictions of tyranny and it is no different than anyone else that has ever been president.

That is a key point. While Obama was elected by a slim majority, and the tide is turning, he is by far the most unhinged destructive POTUS............. ever!

This will go like the other lawless moves from the commie. He will get this stuffed up his arse too.

-Geaux

That is a key point. While Obama was elected by a slim majority, and the tide is turning, he is by far the most unhinged destructive POTUS............. ever!

This will go like the other lawless moves from the commie. He will get this stuffed up his arse too.

-Geaux

Who will do the stuffing? The SCOTUS? Maybe but they act slowly.

The Congress? Republican or Democrat they have little problem letting the POTUS do such things. It so relieves them of responsibility. So yes we can elect a president that MIGHT do this less but stuff them? I doubt it.

Subtract the useless hyperbole and the dire predictions of tyranny and it is no different than anyone else that has ever been president.

Do you really think that Jeb Bush and Sarah Palin should be able to make or form law by executive order? Or worse a memorandum?

-Geaux

Small Majority???
He was a clear winner by 4%.

And by the way, I want to see the Hard Rights complaints when Bush did it.

As for being destructive, he has done that alright... The Hard Right has been spouting a myth of doomsday since he was elected and he destroyed that.
Where's the Ebola lads? Weakened Putin without a shot fired?

Obama Outperforms Reagan On Jobs Growth And Investing - Forbes

Just kicking ass and taken names...

If Obama keeps going he will make a mockery of the Hard Right, leaving it to Clinton to finish them off...

Lets at Kansas when the Hard Right got there way...

The Hard Right in US is the laughing stock of the world, even when there policies are proven disaster as in Kansas they still continue on... Hard Right have failed policies proven to be just as bad a Communist ones.

-Geaux

Small Majority???

As for being destructive, he has done that alright... The Hard Right has been spouting a myth of doomsday since he was elected and he destroyed that.

If Obama keeps going he will make a mockery of the Hard Right, leaving it to Clinton to finish them off...

The Hard Right in US is the laughing stock of the world, even when there policies are proven disaster as in Kansas they still continue on... Hard Right have failed policies proven to be just as bad a Communist ones.

And the last election proved that America does not share your opinion, matter of fact just the opposite.

Do you really think that Jeb Bush and Sarah Palin should be able to make or form law by executive order? Or worse a memorandum?
NO, they have not been elected president.

-Geaux

Small Majority???

:bsflag:

-Geaux

Small Majority???

And the last election proved that America does not share your opinion, matter of fact just the opposite.

Jesus, Obama was up for election in the mid terms... on what ballot?

-Geaux

Small Majority???

:bsflag:

Should just run for election with that in depth analysis...

I used links a stuff... And I live in the rest of the world and if politician stood up and said I believe in the Tea Party in the US, he would be laughed at. In political terms the Tea Party are considered to be the dumbass in the world.

-Geaux

Small Majority???

The "Mockery" kicked Obama's party's ass. 32 states are controlled by Republicans. (think constitutional convention) The Republicans hold the biggest majority in Congress in history. That is a big repudiation, not by just the hard right but by Americans who cared enough to vote.

Just because the democrats who control congress let Obama get away with his stuff does not give him a mandate. You not seeing a problem with what he is doing is also not a mandate.

-Geaux

Small Majority???

Obama GOP agree His policies are on the ballot

-Geaux

Small Majority???

Obama GOP agree His policies are on the ballot

But he himself wasn't... So we agree, thanks for the link to prove that... Obama is President of USA and has been elected there twice, not anyone from the GOP...

So Obama wasn't on a single ballot... So if you want to say would I agree with Sarah Palin Executive order, I would say No... Cause she is not elected president.

Get her elected and then we can talk,

-Geaux

Small Majority???

The "Mockery" kicked Obama's party's ass. 32 states are controlled by Republicans. (think constitutional convention) The Republicans hold the biggest majority in Congress in history. That is a big repudiation, not by just the hard right but by Americans who cared enough to vote.

Just because the democrats who control congress let Obama get away with his stuff does not give him a mandate. You not seeing a problem with what he is doing is also not a mandate.

The states control is misnomer unless we want to compare Texas Democrats against Vermont Republicans.

As for Congress, Gerrymandering... Democrats dropped the ball on legislative control of redrawn districts.

Obama was elected by a hell of alot more people than congress was... He got a mandate for 4 years..

Executive Orders and Proclamations - Wikisource the free online library

A very informative and interesting article/Report done for Congress in 1996 I believe, back in the Clinton Presidency, written about Presidential Executive Orders and Proclamations... I guess Clinton was issuing executive memorandums vs orders and Congress wanted to know the legal standing on them and what the precedence had been with other Presidents with memorandums, orders and proclamations and what they could do about them.

I have a couple of items to make to take care of some orders I got, so I can't debate anything in this article right now...

But it goes in to memorandums vs orders, and what congress can do and should do, if they disagree with any memorandums or orders, and it goes in to saying if congress does nothing about an executive Action, whether it be thru memorandum or an order, then this ESTABLISHES the executive's authority to do such.....

Certainly congress knows this? So, by refusing to ACT on Obama's executive actions on Delayed deportation protection, CONGRESS is establishing that this is within Obama's power to do such. Is this what the every day republican on this board wants? Or what Republicans in congress wants?

Basically, it said over the years, when Congress disagreed with the power of the President with certain executive orders, Congress usually should establish it as law, or legislate statutory law establishing this executive action is not within the executive power or make a constitutional amendment to take it away from the president...

AND IF any of the above action, IS NOT DONE BY CONGRESS when the President issues an executive order or an executive memorandum, THEN Congress has set precedent that the President DOES HAVE THE AUTHORITY, over and above Congress for that particular executive action.

BY not taking action on immigration, then congress has established that this is and always will be within the President's power to do.

So again, is this something the Republicans want, or has Congress not taken action against the president's actions on immigration because they ALREADY KNOW the president has the power to do such via executive actions because it was already ESTABLISHED AS SUCH, during Reagan or Bush1's or other previous administrations???? What is it that is preventing congress from taking some sort of action?

here is what the report says:

Congress may effectively oversee presidential action by amending or repealing legislation, retroactively, which authorizes the President to issue executive orders or proclamations. Congress may propose a constitutional amendment which would remove a particular power from the President. Finally, where Congress is silent, and the President has acted, Congress may legislate to either support or derail such action unless that action is firmly based on exclusive constitutional authority.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back