Obama Issues Another Signing Statement…His Hypocrisy Knows No Bounds

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
:eusa_liar:

Snip:
Anyone remember this from 2008?

Q: When Congress offers you a bill, do you promise not to use presidential signage [sic] to get your way?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAR1S1Mjkc]Obama on Presidential Signing Statements - YouTube[/ame]
OBAMA: Yes. [Applause] Let me just explain for those who are unfamiliar with this issue. You know, we’ve got a government designed by the founders so that there’d be checks and balances. You don’t want a President that’s too powerful or a Congress that’s too powerful or courts that are too powerful. Everybody’s got their own role. Congress’ job is to pass legislation. The President can veto it, or he can sign it. But what George Bush has been trying to do is part of his effort to accumulate more power in the Presidency, is, he’s been saying, “Well, I can basically change what Congress passed by attaching a letter that says ‘I don’t agree with this part’ or ‘I don’t agree with that part.’ I’m going to choose to interpret it this way or that way.” Uh, that’s not part of his power. But this is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he’s going along. I disagree with that. I taught the Constitution for ten years, I believe in the Constitution, and I will obey the Constitution of the United States. We’re not going to use signing statements as a way of doing an end run around Congress.

Hypocrisy….thy name is Obama.

President Obama said Friday he will not be bound by at least 20 policy riders in the 2012 omnibus funding the government, including provisions pertaining to Guantanamo Bay and gun control.

After he signed the omnibus into law Friday, the White House released a concurrent signing statement saying Obama will object to portions of the legislation on constitutional grounds.

Signing statements are highly controversial, and their legality is disputed.

“I have advised the Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress’s consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient,” Obama said in a statement as he signed the bill into law.

So no end round Congress there? The worst Attorney General in history, Eric Holder, said:

“So we are in a better place, I think the regulations, procedures that will help, and we’ll also have a signing statement from the president” which will help clarify how they view the law, Holder said.

Yup, that’s called doing a end run around Congress Mr. President.

Where are they cries from the MSM and the Democrats? Or do they only cry when a Republican is in the White House? Hell, Charlie Savage at the New York Times won a Pulitzer for his work on Bush’s “abuse” of signing statements. The American Bar Association denounced Bush’s use of signing statements. Democrats called Bush’s use of signing statements as the beginning of a dictatorship. Not a peep about Obama’s.

I’m shocked!

from..
Obama Issues Another Signing Statement…His Hypocrisy Knows No Bounds | Flopping Aces

:eusa_liar:

Snip:
Anyone remember this from 2008?

Q: When Congress offers you a bill, do you promise not to use presidential signage [sic] to get your way?

Obama on Presidential Signing Statements - YouTube
OBAMA: Yes. [Applause] Let me just explain for those who are unfamiliar with this issue. You know, we’ve got a government designed by the founders so that there’d be checks and balances. You don’t want a President that’s too powerful or a Congress that’s too powerful or courts that are too powerful. Everybody’s got their own role. Congress’ job is to pass legislation. The President can veto it, or he can sign it. But what George Bush has been trying to do is part of his effort to accumulate more power in the Presidency, is, he’s been saying, “Well, I can basically change what Congress passed by attaching a letter that says ‘I don’t agree with this part’ or ‘I don’t agree with that part.’ I’m going to choose to interpret it this way or that way.” Uh, that’s not part of his power. But this is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he’s going along. I disagree with that. I taught the Constitution for ten years, I believe in the Constitution, and I will obey the Constitution of the United States. We’re not going to use signing statements as a way of doing an end run around Congress.

Hypocrisy….thy name is Obama.

President Obama said Friday he will not be bound by at least 20 policy riders in the 2012 omnibus funding the government, including provisions pertaining to Guantanamo Bay and gun control.

After he signed the omnibus into law Friday, the White House released a concurrent signing statement saying Obama will object to portions of the legislation on constitutional grounds.

Signing statements are highly controversial, and their legality is disputed.

“I have advised the Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress’s consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient,” Obama said in a statement as he signed the bill into law.

So no end round Congress there? The worst Attorney General in history, Eric Holder, said:

“So we are in a better place, I think the regulations, procedures that will help, and we’ll also have a signing statement from the president” which will help clarify how they view the law, Holder said.

Yup, that’s called doing a end run around Congress Mr. President.

Where are they cries from the MSM and the Democrats? Or do they only cry when a Republican is in the White House? Hell, Charlie Savage at the New York Times won a Pulitzer for his work on Bush’s “abuse” of signing statements. The American Bar Association denounced Bush’s use of signing statements. Democrats called Bush’s use of signing statements as the beginning of a dictatorship. Not a peep about Obama’s.

I’m shocked!

from..
Obama Issues Another Signing Statement…His Hypocrisy Knows No Bounds | Flopping Aces

Steph, when have you known a democrat to not talk out of both sides of their ass.

You will not hear or read the cries of MSM because they are bought and paid for shills of this administration, i.e. the liberals/progressives, or whatever they are calling themselves these days.
Bush, they hated, Obama, they adore. Take the exact same words and the LSM cums all over themselves.
I am going to LMAO when Obummer et al get what they want and then they lock down the "press".

Last edited:
Dumb asses. Bush set the precedent. Until the Supreme Court states that this is wrong, any President, whatever party, can do the same.

You dummies were perfectly happy when boy George was doing this, now you want to come down on Obama for doing the same. Sorry, you whiney shit sounds just like whiney shit.

Whether I agree with 'signing statements' or not is irrelevent. That is the way that things are now done, and you people set the rules under Bush. And were warned by plenty of people on both sides of the aisle that it would come back to haunt you.

So whine, piss, and moan. Still the same result.

Forum List

Back