Obama is pressed to tax health benefits

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
I hope none of you out there have parents who are elderly or you yourself are elderly and need health assistance... Just like predicted this new federal healthcare plan is going ration care for the elderly...

Much of the money is likely to come from reining in spending on federal health programs for the elderly and the poor. Obama has proposed trimming more than $600 billion from Medicare and Medicaid by 2019 -- including more than $300 billion in cuts unveiled in his Saturday radio and Internet address -- which could fulfill the promise to curb the growth of federal health spending.

Obama pressed to tax health benefits - Washington Post- msnbc.com

I hope none of you out there have parents who are elderly or you yourself are elderly and need health assistance... Just like predicted this new federal healthcare plan is going ration care for the elderly...

Much of the money is likely to come from reining in spending on federal health programs for the elderly and the poor. Obama has proposed trimming more than $600 billion from Medicare and Medicaid by 2019 -- including more than $300 billion in cuts unveiled in his Saturday radio and Internet address -- which could fulfill the promise to curb the growth of federal health spending.

My dad said:

My grandparents will be getting 1% interest on their money when they were getting 5%. That means millions of older Americans are going to have to tap into their wealth, rather than live off the interest. This is going to cost the Democrats.

Social Security not giving cost of living increases this year.

Add that to this increase in healthcare costs. If the Dems don't do something for seniors, they are going to lose big time in 2010.

They'll be putting the country back in the hands of the GOP, which is worse, but FUCK the Dems if they can't get er done with 60 votes.

I will give up on politics if the Dems can't deliver.

My dad said:

My grandparents will be getting 1% interest on their money when they were getting 5%. That means millions of older Americans are going to have to tap into their wealth, rather than live off the interest. This is going to cost the Democrats.

Add that to this increase in healthcare costs. If the Dems don't do something for seniors, they are going to lose big time in 2010.

They'll be putting the country back in the hands of the GOP, which is worse, but FUCK the Dems if they can't get er done with 60 votes.

sealy - I can't believe we agree on something... :clap2: Finally! :)

I am so sick of both sides of our government. I know you want universal healthcare and I think it would be great if everyone had healthcare but if Obama gets his way his healthcare plan is going to go the same way as Social Security (IMO). The cost will keep going up and up and the people who can currently afford healthcare are going to get less quality care so the people with no healthcare can have SOME coverage. With Social Security tax payers are going to put more into the system than they get out of it when they retire... It just doesn't make since to me... Unfortunately your Dad is finding this out first hand.

The federal government shouldn't be forcing these things on people. Just let each state government decide these things like healthcare and retirement... That way people can move to which ever state they think will be best for them.

My dad said:

sealy - I can't believe we agree on something... :clap2: Finally! :)

I am so sick of both sides of our government. I know you want universal healthcare and I think it would be great if everyone had healthcare but if Obama gets his way his healthcare plan is going to go the same way as Social Security (IMO). The cost will keep going up and up and the people who can currently afford healthcare are going to get less quality care so the people with no healthcare can have SOME coverage. With Social Security tax payers are going to put more into the system than they get out of it when they retire... It just doesn't make since to me... Unfortunately your Dad is finding this out first hand.

The federal government shouldn't be forcing these things on people. Just let each state government decide these things like healthcare and retirement... That way people can move to which ever state they think will be best for them.

This is a fucking mess. We feared that the GOP's agenda was to bankrupt the country so they could end a lot of the social programs they don't like, such as social security and medicare. They want to privatize everything.

That doesn't scare you?

These for profit insurance companies have a strangle hold in every state. They must be dealt with.

So if single payer isn't the answer, and I don't know how different that is from universal healthcare, then something has to happen because what we have now is broke too.

I think a government option is good so the private insurers have to compete against it. Its basically a monopoly now, same as oil.

PS. Thom Hartmann wrote an op ed that said, "the republicans don't just say that government doesn't work, they prove it". So they bankrupted our country to make it easier to end all these social programs/services. It is sad. To hear that social security and medicare are going bankrupt is a tragedy.

Now I do support Obama on his domestic agenda, but he better start tightening up the purse strings soon. And he better get interest rates for investors back up to 5%. If they are only making 1%, that's not good for seniors or the kids who will end up enheriting their fortunes, or whats left in the end, which I suspect won't be much.

As for not giving cost of living increases with social security. Is that any surprise? The things going bankrupt. Expect seniors to get less and less every year until there is nothing.

And I don't want social security and medicare to go away. I think our politicians choose to fund other things by raping the ss funds. That's got to stop. SS has to be priority #1.

I want the god damn politicians to fix the deficits/budget/debt so that we actually have money to pay for these things. If the Dems can't, they are out.

But now we have more baby boomers drawing and less people paying in. I think maybe we might have to go to single payer in order to fund seniors.

I haven't wrapped my brain completely around this issue yet. I don't know what the Dems plan to do about this, yet. Once I know, I'll share.

And I am not one to hide my true feelings because it doesn't help the Dems. The Dems got all the help I can give them. Now it is their job to perform. And enough excuses. Tom Delay didn't have any excuses. He just got er done. And coporations enjoyed 2004-2007 record profits.

Forum List

Back