Obama Is Clueless on Iran

When you are sitting on the sidelines, it is easy to say Obama should be doing more. He doesn't want to give the supreme leader more reason to crack down on the protesters. If he encourages the revolt, then this is seen as a US orchstrated movement. If he doesn't encourage them, he is called spineless my the republicans. They can make many accusations, since their words mean very little.

Obama is measuring evey word he is saying. Pretty much a catch 22 position he is in. One in which he cannot win, as I see it.

Throwing down the statement, "with no preconditions" put him in the Catch 22 position.
exactly, and that is why many of us said it was a stupid thing to say back when he said it

When you are sitting on the sidelines, it is easy to say Obama should be doing more. He doesn't want to give the supreme leader more reason to crack down on the protesters. If he encourages the revolt, then this is seen as a US orchstrated movement. If he doesn't encourage them, he is called spineless my the republicans. They can make many accusations, since their words mean very little.

Obama is measuring evey word he is saying. Pretty much a catch 22 position he is in. One in which he cannot win, as I see it.
Complete baloney. The Ayatollah had already claimed the US had meddled, and has claimed we are the cause of this. And clearly, he's going to "crack down" on the protesters, needs no reason other than they are protesting. That's what a totalitarian state does.

Obama missed the point totally, until his handlers and some at least half experienced people like Biden woke him up. NOTHING Obama has said or done in any way could be construed to favor either side in this dispute. But the Ayatollah will say so anyway.

He's being criticized here at home, obviously fairly, for not trumpeting the cause of freedom early on. For making such a horribly weak statement early on. Even both houses of Congress beat him in making a strong statement, which also favored neither side. He's come across as really weak in all of this, partying in the WH while all this was going on.

There's no defending it.

Our president grovels at the feet of Iran's "Supreme Leader".

Obama's arrogance has emboldened the Iranian religious extremists who do no fear anything from this boy king of ours.

And Israel watches with increasing unease, knowing if they to act, they will do so alone, with likely condemnation from this US government...
RealClearPolitics - Obama Clueless on Iran

You people are the arrogant ones. The Iranians DON'T WANT YOU TO DO ANYTHING. THE LAST THING THE OPPOSITION WANTS IS "ENDORSEMENTS" FROM THE US GOVERNMENT. This is known EVERYWHERE.

You guys do realize that the only people that want the US to start "endorsing" or "bombing" or openly supporting the opposition - and I mean the ONLY people- are the Regime, the US Conservatives, and the Israeli Right-Wing. The other thing that ties these people together are their total disregard for the lives of Iranians. I mean, how can people not notice the complete CYNICISM of John McCain or the ideologue warriors at FOX, talking about "America's leadership to bring democracy" and "show support for the Iranian people's fight for democracy." THE SAME PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO FUCKING BOMB THEM ONLY A FEW MONTHS AGO. How does that fucking work? We are now to believe that these people give a flying shitaroo about the rights of the same Iranians they would've fire-bombed 6 months ago? What a change of heart! That takes real cynicism or real idiocy. I'm sorry, but as someone who knows America's history in the Middle East and Latin America, it is almost COMICAL to hear these people on Fox and on the Republican party talking about America's supposed "role" or "leadership" in defending democratic values around the world.

The only thing for you to do is to condemn the government's crackdown of protesters, and that's exactly what has happened- Obama just said they were "violent and unjust". What else do you guys want? Military action? Clandestine assassination? Weapons deals? What is it that you great [and sudden] "defenders" of democracy want to do? You guys seriously have to sit down and think about the shit you do for a second. :cuckoo: You might have to re-instate the draft and send 2 million US troops to Iran, and we all know how that ends up... :lol:

thank you for this post. very interesting was the reaction to it, too. :clap2:

Obama read Epsilon Delta's post and posted his response on this thread, huh?
No, he did not. Read the thread. He did the exact opposite.

This is clearly an example of ill communication. I read the thread. Maybe you need to be unamerican to get it.
You do not get it, either that or you have very poor reading comprehension. Did you read Obama's statement? How does it jive with what Epsilon's post calls for?

It doesn't.

maybe i really don't get it. and my reading comprehension might be poor, it is after all 5 am on a sunday morning for me. so could you please direct me to obama's statement that does not jive with epsilon delta's post.

i cannot imagine anything obama can say to have any impact on epsilon deltas post and the reaction of posters in this thread to it. deflecting and ignoring is what i am seeing.

Yeah, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what you guys are saying.

Just to clarify: I said that what Obama did today, concemn the violence against the protesters was the right thing to do, and that there's nothing else to do really, and furthermore that I don't blame him for waiting till the Ayatollah spoke and the protests actually got real violent. *shrugs*

Twitterers worldwide are saying all that needs be said.

The people of Iran who are out there protesting KNOW that the people who love freedom worldwide are behind them.

US government interference would be counter-prodductive for the protestors.

Twitterers worldwide are saying all that needs be said.

The people of Iran who are out there protesting KNOW that the people who love freedom worldwide are behind them.

US government interference would be counter-prodductive for the protestors.
as government interference usually is on just about any matter

The criticism of Obama's response comes from what is seen as a political opportunity by the GOP. McCain and whoever the spokespersons are for the party are trying to make inroads to counter the Democratic advantage in Washington. I can't blame them. The Dems have done the same thing when they are out of power.

But rationally, Obama's response has pretty much gone as far as he should go. Perhaps he shoudl rethink his word selection to some degree. We don't want to give the Iranian hard liners more reasons to bust heads. The Iranian leaders are going to blame the US. That taken for granted. The one thing that those in the streets risking their loves do not want is for a statement to come from Obama that appears the US has interest in their cause and is somehow manipulating the movement. It is a very sticky wicket.

Unfortunately, I think it will turn out like other movements in totalitarian states. It will eventually disappear. Let's hope some positive changes will come from the voices of the defiant. I am afraid there will be much more bloodshed and death.

Our president grovels at the feet of Iran's "Supreme Leader".

Obama's arrogance has emboldened the Iranian religious extremists who do no fear anything from this boy king of ours.

And Israel watches with increasing unease, knowing if they to act, they will do so alone, with likely condemnation from this US government...
RealClearPolitics - Obama Clueless on Iran

You people are the arrogant ones. The Iranians DON'T WANT YOU TO DO ANYTHING. THE LAST THING THE OPPOSITION WANTS IS "ENDORSEMENTS" FROM THE US GOVERNMENT. This is known EVERYWHERE.

You guys do realize that the only people that want the US to start "endorsing" or "bombing" or openly supporting the opposition - and I mean the ONLY people- are the Regime, the US Conservatives, and the Israeli Right-Wing. The other thing that ties these people together are their total disregard for the lives of Iranians. I mean, how can people not notice the complete CYNICISM of John McCain or the ideologue warriors at FOX, talking about "America's leadership to bring democracy" and "show support for the Iranian people's fight for democracy." THE SAME PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO FUCKING BOMB THEM ONLY A FEW MONTHS AGO. How does that fucking work? We are now to believe that these people give a flying shitaroo about the rights of the same Iranians they would've fire-bombed 6 months ago? What a change of heart! That takes real cynicism or real idiocy. I'm sorry, but as someone who knows America's history in the Middle East and Latin America, it is almost COMICAL to hear these people on Fox and on the Republican party talking about America's supposed "role" or "leadership" in defending democratic values around the world.

The only thing for you to do is to condemn the government's crackdown of protesters, and that's exactly what has happened- Obama just said they were "violent and unjust". What else do you guys want? Military action? Clandestine assassination? Weapons deals? What is it that you great [and sudden] "defenders" of democracy want to do? You guys seriously have to sit down and think about the shit you do for a second. :cuckoo: You might have to re-instate the draft and send 2 million US troops to Iran, and we all know how that ends up... :lol:

'Scuse me, but wasn't it you guys who were defending the "no pre-conditions" shit not so long ago? How's that workin' out for ya?

agreed. where is the support? we in america need to show more support...

Yea, for Amadenijad. Our support of his opponent is exactly what he and the Supreme Leader want.

I'm not going to say anymore. I want the GOP to hang themselves trying to make this an issue.

They were wrong about Nam. They even tried to compare Iraq to Nam and suggested that the reason we lost Nam was because liberals like Kerry quit too early.

They were wrong about Kosovo. Clinton didn't spend a lot of time or money or American lives.

They started the first Iraq war, imo, and didn't finish the job.

They got hit on 9-11 and lost the Afganistan war, on purpose so they could use Blackwater/Haloburton to bankrupt the country.

They totally fucked up by starting Iraq again, but that's how they spread our troops thin so they could privatize the war and get their oil buddies in. Their PNAC plans are sinister and they lied to the American people.

They created and then tried to make an issue of the Georgia/Russia incident for political purposes.

Now they are hoping Obama fucks up on Iran by sticking his nose into it.

And they want another 9-11 because it will benefit them politically. Even the CIA agrees.

So GOP, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

New Topics

Forum List

Back