Obama invite to Notre Dame stirs debate!!!

Apr 7, 2009
By ERIC GORSKI – Mar 28, 2009

In American Catholicism, it doesn't get much bigger than Notre Dame. So when the university known for its golden dome, "Touchdown Jesus" mural and rigorous academics invited President Barack Obama to speak at its commencement and receive an honorary degree in May, it stoked both pride and anger on campus and nationwide.

By giving a platform to a politician whose record on abortion and stem cell research clashes with core church teachings about human life, the private Catholic school on the plains of northern Indiana renewed an impassioned debate about what it means to be Catholic.

The Notre Dame administration knew it was entering a political minefield. But the intensity of the reaction in the week since Obama accepted demonstrates the depths to which Catholics are divided about how Catholic individuals and institutions should engage politics in a pluralistic society.

Continued

Kinda funny that there was no uproar when Notre Dame gave honorary degrees to Ronald Reagan, an adulterer and divorcee and George W. Bush who condoned torture

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Matthews was given an honorary degree at one of my alma maters....a class mate of mine protested to the President of the College...primarily on Matthew's views on abortion. The response from the President was the usual mush. It seems you can never back down from a liberal decision...even if you are a conservative instuitution...bad for the balance sheet.

Chris Matthews was given an honorary degree at one of my alma maters....a class mate of mine protested to the President of the College...primarily on Matthew's views on abortion. The response from the President was the usual mush. It seems you can never back down from a liberal decision...even if you are a conservative instuitution...bad for the balance sheet.

Were you upset when the coward bush spoke at bob jones "university," perhaps the most anti-Catholic school in the country? Do you really think anyone gives a shit what the pope thinks about abortion? He spoke out against Iraq, yet you still have that flag sticking out your ass.

Were you upset when the coward bush spoke at bob jones "university," perhaps the most anti-Catholic school in the country? Do you really think anyone gives a shit what the pope thinks about abortion? He spoke out against Iraq, yet you still have that flag sticking out your ass.

No. Yes. And I'd rather have a flag sticking out of my ass, than my head stuck up it.

No. Yes. And I'd rather have a flag sticking out of my ass, than my head stuck up it.

:clap2:

Notre Dame group starts petition in support of Obama's commencement speech

By Robert Singer

April 07, 2009
Source: The Observer, Notre Dame

The outrage expressed on The Observer's Viewpoint page and across the Internet over the university's invitation of President Barack Obama to be Commencement speaker is not representative of the Notre Dame community, according to Matthew Tipton and Briana Miller, senior co-presidents of the Black Cultural Arts Council (BCAC), who organized a petition drive Monday in LaFortune to support the decision.

"We basically wanted to offset the negative light," said Tipton. "The numbers reflecting the people who want him here are not standing up." ...

Notre Dame group starts petition in support of Obama' s commencement speech | UWIRE

By Robert Singer

April 07, 2009

senior co-presidents of the Black Cultural Arts Council (BCAC), who organized a petition drive Monday in LaFortune to support the decision.

Well golly gee.......ya think?

By Robert Singer

April 07, 2009

senior co-presidents of the Black Cultural Arts Council (BCAC), who organized a petition drive Monday in LaFortune to support the decision.

...The College Democrats, the NAACP, the Black Students Association, La Alianza, the First Class Steppers and the Hispanic alumni group MEChA have given their support to the petition drive, according to Miller.

"It's overwhelming how much support we've gotten from organizations that don't have anything to do with politics," Tipton said....

Notre Dame group starts petition in support of Obama' s commencement speech | UWIRE

By Robert Singer

April 07, 2009

...The College Democrats, the NAACP, the Black Students Association, La Alianza, the First Class Steppers and the Hispanic alumni group MEChA have given their support to the petition drive, according to Miller.

I'm noticing a trend.

Yet you've managed to do both. You still handling your small problem, Gezzhoo?

I'm noticing a trend.

...The Associated Press reported that less than a week after the university announced its commencement speaker Notre Dame's student newspaper received more than 600 letters -- almost equally divided among alumni and current students -- about it.

Seventy percent of the alumni letters said they opposed the invitation to Obama and 73 percent of students supported it. Of the 95 seniors who wrote to the paper, 97 percent supported the school's decision.

CNS STORY: Reaction to Notre Dame's choice of Obama for commencement continues

...Bishop Robert N. Lynch of St. Petersburg, Fla., said in a March 27 blog entry on the diocesan Web site that the university "may have acted way too early and too generously" in its invitation to Obama.

However, he said he was "more alarmed that the rhetoric being employed is so uncivil and venomous that it weakens the case we place before our fellow citizens, alienates young college-age students who believe the older generation is behaving like an angry child and they do not wish to be any part of that, and ill-serves the cause of life."

A March 27 editorial in the Catholic magazine Commonweal said that for many the issue was about giving an honorary degree to Obama, seen as "tantamount to an imprimatur."

The magazine's editors disagreed with that view, saying: "Honorary degrees signify an institution's admiration for the accomplishments of the recipient. They do not signify blanket moral approbation." ...

CNS STORY: Reaction to Notre Dame's choice of Obama for commencement continues

I'm noticing a trend.

Seventy percent of the alumni letters said they opposed the invitation to Obama and 73 percent of students supported it. Of the 95 seniors who wrote to the paper, 97 percent supported the school's decision.[/B]

Are the 97% Dems, NAACP, Black.....or even Catholic for that matter??????? Keep trying. :eusa_snooty:

I am surprised that the pope has not spoken out against this. Obama is not only pro abortion, he is pro late term abortion.

I am surprised that the pope has not spoken out against this. Obama is not only pro abortion, he is pro late term abortion.

Abortion in this country is legal. It's the law of the land. The pope can say what he wants, but it has no effect. President Obama is simply upholding the law.

I wonder how many students at Notre Dame are there for its religious connotation. My guess is that like most college kids, they party hearty, don't care about safe sex or worry about abortions, and love their football more than their classrooms until they reach their senior year. Like most college kids, they live for the moment.

Seventy percent of the alumni letters said they opposed the invitation to Obama and 73 percent of students supported it. Of the 95 seniors who wrote to the paper, 97 percent supported the school's decision.[/B]

Are the 97% Dems, NAACP, Black.....or even Catholic for that matter??????? ...
What difference does their race, religion, or political affiliation make? One would assume that the reason admission to Notre Dame isn't limited to practicing Catholics is that the school seeks and cultivates diversity.

Last edited:

What difference does their race, religion, or political affiliation make? One would assume that the reason admission to Notre Dame isn't limited to practicing Catholics is that the school seeks and cultivates diversity.

Annie earns her first katyusha on this board. But I'm certain not the last.

Yet you've managed to do both. You still handling your small problem, Gezzhoo?

I told you 3 times...your teeth are in the mail...

Annie earns her first katyusha on this board. But I'm certain not the last.

So you can't tell us what difference their race, religion, or political affiliation makes?

Forum List

Back