Obama: If you're "lucky enough"... To Be in the Upper 2% -video

Yup. Loads of folks have made it to that top 1 or 2% by their own drive, determination and sacrifice.

Of course you do have those that were born into it.

I love that 1 and 2% since they pay the majority of the Fed taxes in this country.

To bad there aren't more of em.

Yup. Loads of folks have made it to that top 1 or 2% by their own drive, determination and sacrifice.

Of course you do have those that were born into it.

I love that 1 and 2% since they pay the majority of the Fed taxes in this country.

To bad there aren't more of em.

They also own most of the wealth.

And by an extremely disproportionate amount.

If there were "more" of them..there would be a revolution.

My old landlord is in the 1%, he started out as a penniless 14 year old immigrant.

What democrats never mention is that there will always be a 1%, like there will always be a 5% or a 10%. No matter how low the threshold is, there will always be a 1% at the top just like there will always be a 1% at the bottom. Only a government with an absolute iron fist can forcibly equalize the relative wealth of its citizens.

I love that line, "All we're saying is that they should do a LITTLE BIT MORE . . ." A little bit more than . . . paying the vast majority of the taxes already?

do you agree that people in the '1%' are 'lucky', and that they did not get where they are through hard work and sacrifice?

How many of that 1% worked their way up from poverty?

I have MUCH MORE appropriate question...

And think about it before you knee jerk respond...

How many people have wound UP in poverty after taking the plunge to start their own business in an effort to become financially secure and independant?

It is THAT risk that the successful should be heralded for.

You might even say they were unlucky

How many of that 1% worked their way up from poverty?

Do YOU know the answer to that?

Let me guess?

Maybe 1% of them

Twenty Billionaires Who Started With Nothing

While most of the world's richest people earned their money, some had farther to climb.

Sheldon Adelson: son of a cab driver... At the end of 2006, The Times has estimated, Adelson's net worth had grown by about $1 million an hour for two straight years.

Carl Berg: father died when he was 10, schoolteacher mother raised him... Today, Berg is chairman and chief executive of Cupertino (Calif.)-based Mission West Properties (MSW), a giant real estate investment trust.

Stephen Bisciotti: father died at 8, raised with two siblings by single mother... bought the Baltimore Ravens National Football League team in 2004.

Leon Charney: Child of immigrant parents, destitute after father died... started law firm with $200, eventually made more than a billion dollars from real estate investments, especially in properties around Manhattan's Times Square.

I could continue, but you get the idea.

I love that line, "All we're saying is that they should do a LITTLE BIT MORE . . ." A little bit more than . . . paying the vast majority of the taxes already?

We have an INCOME tax. If you have an income above the vast majority of Americans you will pay the vast majority of the tax on that

Let me guess?

Maybe 1% of them

While most of the world's richest people earned their money, some had farther to climb.

Sheldon Adelson: son of a cab driver... At the end of 2006, The Times has estimated, Adelson's net worth had grown by about $1 million an hour for two straight years.

Carl Berg: father died when he was 10, schoolteacher mother raised him... Today, Berg is chairman and chief executive of Cupertino (Calif.)-based Mission West Properties (MSW), a giant real estate investment trust.

Stephen Bisciotti: father died at 8, raised with two siblings by single mother... bought the Baltimore Ravens National Football League team in 2004.

Leon Charney: Child of immigrant parents, destitute after father died... started law firm with $200, eventually made more than a billion dollars from real estate investments, especially in properties around Manhattan's Times Square.

How true.....

The American Dream is still there. Still does not refute the position that being born to wealth is a major factor in being wealthy. How many Waltons are among the richest Americans?
Luck of birth is still a factor

"He was born standing on third base and acts like he hit a triple"

We have an INCOME tax. If you have an income above the vast majority of Americans you will pay the vast majority of the tax on that

and they already do.

No oine is complaining about that.

The complaint is about it being said that they are not doing their fair share.

But you know that already.

poor babies

I agree, I'm sure every right wing goon throwing a pissy fit over this are in the bottom 2%

And yet, they want to vote to lose what little they have as well as any chance they have to improve their situation.

How did so many people get THIS dumb?

Obama is pushing to have his own taxes raised so that the average American has a better life but the rw's want to vote for him to keep a lower tax rate than they have.

Let me guess?

Maybe 1% of them

You're right.

Way fewer than 1%.

(As if this has anything to do with the conversation.)

Forum List

Back