Obama hates science

you misunderstand what the private sector is doing. They are NOT getting involved in long distance flights to the moon, asteroids or Mars. They are getting involved, as I stated, in taking crew and cargo to the ISS. Anything other than that is in hibernation.

They don't yet have the resources to make long distance flights.

Give them time, they'll get there.

Shifting parts of the space program to the private sector ( transportation of cargo/crew) is fine and I approve completely. But that's all that has been shifted. The rest is simply being underfunded into hibernation.

The private sector is stepping in to fill the gap.

And there has been a bunch of recent government funding devoting to helping this along.

So, help me out here...

Is it that the private sector isn't moving fast enough?

Or is it that you feel the government does a better job than the private sector?

you misunderstand what the private sector is doing. They are NOT getting involved in long distance flights to the moon, asteroids or Mars. They are getting involved, as I stated, in taking crew and cargo to the ISS. Anything other than that is in hibernation.

Governments can develop new technology and do some of the exciting early exploration but in the long run it's the private sector that finds ways to make profit, finds ways to expand humanity. That's really our tack," he explained

"Most of private individuals I've talked to about interest in settling on Mars, including Elon Musk, talk about in the next few decades they think the private sector will fund settlement missions - whether to the Moon, Mars, or asteroids. As a government laboratory our job is to develop to enable those kinds of things by developing technology and early exploration, and we hope the private sector will find a way to do something like that," he said.

These statements were made by the director of the NASA Ames Research Center on March 8th
NASA: The future of space is public/private partnerships ? The Register

I agree with moving this to the private sector, private sector handles pretty much everything better.

I don't want to speak for him, but I'm getting the impression that QW made this thread to point out the hypocrisy of Obamabots. If Bush did this, they would all have their torches lit and pitchforks in hand marching at the White House saying he hated science. Imagine Bush cutting a science-based gov't program, they'd be grinding their teeth to the jawbone.

I agree with moving this to the private sector, private sector handles pretty much everything better.

I don't want to speak for him, but I'm getting the impression that QW made this thread to point out the hypocrisy of Obamabots. If Bush did this, they would all have their torches lit and pitchforks in hand marching at the White House saying he hated science. Imagine Bush cutting a science-based gov't program, they'd be grinding their teeth to the jawbone.

Ahh, you know that if Bush shit enough gold to pay off the national debt, extremists on the left would have complained about how badly it smells.

Same thing goes for Obama and the right.

I actually remember some people on the left complaining when Bush said he would expand NASA programs.

Last edited:
This again?

What is it you people on the right find so bad about shifting space programs from the public to the private sector?

There's just no pleasing you people, is there?

Shifting parts of the space program to the private sector ( transportation of cargo/crew) is fine and I approve completely. But that's all that has been shifted. The rest is simply being underfunded into hibernation.

Right now I would rather pay for other things than a mission to mars.

Sure. You want to spend money on programs who's recipients will reward Progressives with their votes.

They don't yet have the resources to make long distance flights.

Give them time, they'll get there.

It's not a matter of resources for it. There are no private sector companies even thinking about Mars, let alone with anything even on the drawing board as far as vehicles goes.

ALL private sector is involved with, or showing any interest in, is tourism, and ferry service to the ISS.

comparing Medicaid to NASA is comparing apples to computer chips.

In this context, the comparison applies.

Both serve function desired by society, both hire a whole bunch of people.

Most people would in fact say that making sure people didn't die was more important than a mission to Mars, but I didn't make a judgement call there, I simply pointed out the problem with your "But NASA provides jobs" argument.

The private sector is stepping in to fill the gap.

And there has been a bunch of recent government funding devoting to helping this along.

So, help me out here...

Is it that the private sector isn't moving fast enough?

Or is it that you feel the government does a better job than the private sector?

Governments can develop new technology and do some of the exciting early exploration but in the long run it's the private sector that finds ways to make profit, finds ways to expand humanity. That's really our tack," he explained

"Most of private individuals I've talked to about interest in settling on Mars, including Elon Musk, talk about in the next few decades they think the private sector will fund settlement missions - whether to the Moon, Mars, or asteroids. As a government laboratory our job is to develop to enable those kinds of things by developing technology and early exploration, and we hope the private sector will find a way to do something like that," he said.

These statements were made by the director of the NASA Ames Research Center on March 8th
NASA: The future of space is public/private partnerships ? The Register

Hope. That's all there is right now on that. Hope. Nothing concrete, no plans, no timetables, no serious discussions about planning anything. Just hope.

It's not a matter of resources for it. There are no private sector companies even thinking about Mars, let alone with anything even on the drawing board as far as vehicles goes.

ALL private sector is involved with, or showing any interest in, is tourism, and ferry service to the ISS.

That's not true, the private sector has been showing a lot of interest in asteroid mining.

Once they find they can have access to resources in space, it will promote farther exploration.

After all the solar system's main asteroid belt is a lot closer to Mars than to Earth.

That's not true, the private sector has been showing a lot of interest in asteroid mining.

Once they find they can have access to resources in space, it will promote farther exploration.

After all the solar system's main asteroid belt is a lot closer to Mars than to Earth.

define 'a lot', and link please.

It's official. "Conservatives" simply hate anything Obama does.

Even when he does something they ask for.

You mean like the individual mandate?

Or maybe you meant extending the bush tax cuts?

Correct.

You could make a list all day, all month, all year for why the Bush supporters should like Obama and why the Bush haters should hate Obama.

define 'a lot', and link please.

Asteroid miners get more than 2,500 investment inquiries - GeekWire

Planetary Resources is a private company run by commercial space veterans and backed deep-pocketed investors including Google’s Larry Page and Eric Schmidt, and Ross Perot Jr.

Tech Billionaires Plan Audacious Mission to Mine Asteroids | Wired Science | Wired.com

A group of wealthy, adventurous entrepreneurs will announce on Apr. 24 a new venture called Planetary Resources, Inc., which plans to send swarms of robots to space to scout asteroids for precious metals and set up mines to bring resources back to Earth, in the process adding trillions of dollars to the global GDP, helping ensure humanity’s prosperity and paving the way for the human settlement of space.

Tech tycoons in asteroid mining venture | Science | guardian.co.uk

A group of hi-tech tycoons including Google's Larry Page and Eric Schmidt have teamed up with explorer and film-maker James Cameron in a venture to mine nearby asteroids, hoping to turn science fiction into real profits.

Personally I can't wait for SpaceX to go public.

I'll be one of the first people in the queue for buying some of that stock.

I expect rdean will come in here and blame Bush, but the rest of us can call up our congresscritters and let them know we support NASA.

FACT: NASA’s total budget is less than 1% of the Federal spending. Way less than 1%. FACT: The proposed fiscal year 2013 budget out of the White House has huge cuts to NASA.

FACT: Obama's cuts are less than the GOP House budget cuts for NASA.

http://www.space.com/15595-nasa-budget-cuts-president-obama-veto.html

As they say at NASA, "Back to the drawing board..."

Obama hates science

More like he hates America, he should impeach himself for the good of the Country, what's left of it....:lol:

$18.jpg

$1180156_f496.jpg

$be3feaa2afee92009f4bb7a4a98cdda2.jpg

A 2013 spending bill that would fund NASA’s commercial crew program below the level the president requested drew a veto threat May 7 as the U.S. House of Representatives was preparing to begin debate on the proposal.

The $51 billion Commerce, Justice, Science Appropriations Act for 2013 (H.R. 5326) that the Republican-led House began debating May 8 would fund NASA at $17.57 billion next year — the lowest level since 2008 and some $150 million less than President Barack Obama requested for the agency.

NASA Cuts Draw Veto Threat | SpaceNews.com

FACT: The GOP hates science.

You people really need to pay attention.

President: I need ten dollars for science.

GOP: We'll give you six.

President: I will settle for eight.

RUBE: OBAMA HATES SCIENCE!!!! HE ONLY BUDGETED 8 DOLLARS FOR SCIENCE!!!

Forum List

Back