Obama hates science

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I expect rdean will come in here and blame Bush, but the rest of us can call up our congresscritters and let them know we support NASA.

FACT: NASA’s total budget is less than 1% of the Federal spending. Way less than 1%. FACT: The proposed fiscal year 2013 budget out of the White House has huge cuts to NASA. Planetary sciences alone has $300 million slashed from it.
FACT: If this cut stays in the budget, NASA will have to pull back from some big and exciting planetary missions. It’s already made NASA back out of an agreement with the European Space Agency on two ambitious Mars probes.
FACT: This sucks. A lot. America leads the way in scientific planetary missions, and this cut will hurt that, significantly.

Shining shoes for NASA | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

This again?

What is it you people on the right find so bad about shifting space programs from the public to the private sector?

There's just no pleasing you people, is there?

This again?

What is it you people on the right find so bad about shifting space programs from the public to the private sector?

Shifting parts of the space program to the private sector ( transportation of cargo/crew) is fine and I approve completely. But that's all that has been shifted. The rest is simply being underfunded into hibernation.

I guess you hate private business, and love government programs.

A private spaceship is preparing to link up with the International Space Station for the first time Friday in a historic step for commercial spaceflight.
The unmanned Dragon capsule, built by Space Exploration Technologies Corp., or SpaceX, is due to arrive at the station early Friday and be attached to an open docking port, becoming the first spacecraft built by a company — and not a national space program — ever to do so.

Dragon is one of two commercial vehicles being nurtured by NASA to replace the cargo-carrying duties of the retired space shuttles (the other spacecraft is the Cygnus, built by Orbital Sciences Corp., of Dulles, Va.). This flight is a test mission sponsored by the agency's COTS program (Commercial Orbital Transportation Services).
If the current mission goes smoothly, SpaceX will be cleared to begin flying delivery missions to the space station starting this fall. The company is contracted for at least 12 of these flights for a total of $1.6 billion.

Private space capsule 'go' for space station arrival - Technology & science - Space - Space.com - msnbc.com

I can understand spending money the development of the space around our planet, even our moon and maybe Mars. But anything beyond that, until they can find a way to FOLD SPACE or TIME TRAVEL or some other means to cover VAST regions of the universe in a timely fashion, it's just a waste of money.

This again?

Shifting parts of the space program to the private sector ( transportation of cargo/crew) is fine and I approve completely. But that's all that has been shifted. The rest is simply being underfunded into hibernation.

Right now I would rather pay for other things than a mission to mars.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
This again?

depends on what those things are. The space program creates a lot of jobs, and not ust with NASA. Contractors, etc.

depends on what those things are. The space program creates a lot of jobs, and not ust with NASA. Contractors, etc.

What qualifies as "a lot" for you?

I expect rdean will come in here and blame Bush, but the rest of us can call up our congresscritters and let them know we support NASA.

FACT: NASA’s total budget is less than 1% of the Federal spending. Way less than 1%. FACT: The proposed fiscal year 2013 budget out of the White House has huge cuts to NASA. Planetary sciences alone has $300 million slashed from it.
FACT: If this cut stays in the budget, NASA will have to pull back from some big and exciting planetary missions. It’s already made NASA back out of an agreement with the European Space Agency on two ambitious Mars probes.
FACT: This sucks. A lot. America leads the way in scientific planetary missions, and this cut will hurt that, significantly.

Shining shoes for NASA | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

Right on comrade! Private business shouldn't handle something that the government can obviously do better. Big government is best, right?

Well it looks like the private sector will now be creating a lot of jobs, isn't that what you guys want?

The private sector is stepping in to fill the gap.

And there has been a bunch of recent government funding devoting to helping this along.

So, help me out here...

Is it that the private sector isn't moving fast enough?

Or is it that you feel the government does a better job than the private sector?

I can understand spending money the development of the space around our planet, even our moon and maybe Mars. But anything beyond that, until they can find a way to FOLD SPACE or TIME TRAVEL or some other means to cover VAST regions of the universe in a timely fashion, it's just a waste of money.

How can they do that if they are not funded? Most private industry isnt going to venture into those areas when there is so much money to be made just tooling around our own area.

NASA probably needs to be reorganized to partner with the private sector on ambitious ventures. NASA is govt and thereby extremely wasteful.

Oh, I don't know, I think the asteroid mining thing shows some promise.

There's big chunks of various elements out there for the taking.

How can they do that if they are not funded? Most private industry isnt going to venture into those areas when there is so much money to be made just tooling around our own area.

NASA probably needs to be reorganized to partner with the private sector on ambitious ventures. NASA is govt and thereby extremely wasteful.

I think NASA and the Private Sector are ahead of you on this one. ;)

Private sector ventures are in fact being partially funded by the government at the moment.

And they are coming up with their own funding.

Investors have been pouring billions into companies like SpaceX, hoping to see a return on their investment either through space tourism or asteroid mining.

What qualifies as "a lot" for you?

NASA jobs in FL, TX, AL... contractors all over the country... workers around the NASA areas from hotels, restaurants, etc.

Here are a few links:

Obama administration kills 23K space-related jobs in Florida. | RedState
End of shuttle program slams Space Coast economy - USATODAY.com
The End Of The Space Shuttle Program Hurts Houston Pride And Economy
NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center cuts spending and up to 300 more jobs in Huntsville | al.com
NASA Contractor Cutting Jobs After Shuttle Retirement - Space News - redOrbit

The private sector is stepping in to fill the gap.

And there has been a bunch of recent government funding devoting to helping this along.

So, help me out here...

Is it that the private sector isn't moving fast enough?

Or is it that you feel the government does a better job than the private sector?

you misunderstand what the private sector is doing. They are NOT getting involved in long distance flights to the moon, asteroids or Mars. They are getting involved, as I stated, in taking crew and cargo to the ISS. Anything other than that is in hibernation.

you're not very bright, are you.

Forum List

Back