Obama has created a deeply dangerous situation

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Where things may be going between Russia and Turkey, ancient enemies who have warred many times over the centuries, was evidenced this week when the Kremlin announced large-scale surprise military exercises in the regions of the country that are close to Turkey. Troops were moved to full combat readiness, the last stage before a shooting war, with Sergei Shoygu, the Russian defense minister, announcing on TV, “We began our surprise check of the military preparedness in the Southwest strategic direction.”

That would be the direction of Turkey.

By letting Mr. Putin get away with whatever he likes in Syria, Mr. Obama has created a deeply dangerous situation in the region. By abandoning his infamous Syria “redline” in September 2013, the White House in effect outsourced American policy there to Mr. Putin, as I warned at the time, and which the Obama administration, powerless to influence terrible events in Syria, is slowly realizing.

“Are we heading for our ‘Sarajevo moment’?” a senior NATO official bluntly asked. “It’s clear that there has to be some actual ‘redline’ for Mr. Obama, something that the United States cannot tolerate Russia doing—but where is it? If I don’t know, I’m sure the Kremlin doesn’t either.”

That is NATO’s top concern right now: After years of weakness and vacillation, the Obama administration may find itself backed into a corner by aggressive Russian action. Particularly if coupled with intemperate Turkish reactions, that could create a nightmare of historic proportions around Aleppo. Although the White House has foresworn any military intervention in Syria’s fratricide, it’s worth noting that Mr. Obama led NATO to war in Libya exactly five years ago to prevent possible slaughter in Benghazi, a far smaller humanitarian threat than the terrifying sword of Russian artillery and airpower that’s hanging over Aleppo right now.

For their part, the Russians are upping the ante with regime media publishing claims by the Defense Ministry that air attacks on Aleppo yesterday that killed civilians, including the bombing of a hospital, were actually perpetrated by U.S. Air Force A-10s, a war crime that they say the Pentagon has tried to pin on Moscow. In fact, American intelligence knows this was the work of the Russian Air Force: “We have intercepts of the Russian pilots talking during the attack,” a Pentagon official explained. “As usual, the Russians are lying.” Yet this sort of dishonest Kremlin propaganda, what spies term disinformation, is exactly what the Obama administration has refused to counter, as I’ve explained in this column, in a futile effort to keep the Kremlin happy.

Mr. Putin instead has taken his measure of Mr. Obama and has doubled down, saving his client regime in Syria. Russia has won in Syria, and NATO and the West are stuck with that outcome, as are the unlucky residents of Aleppo. “I hope Obama doesn’t decide to get a backbone now,” said a retired American general, who knows the Russians well, “since the Kremlin is in ‘drive’ in Syria and isn’t about to do ‘reverse.’”

There seems to be little chance of this White House taking on the Russians in Syria. However, there are no guarantees that Ankara is equally inclined to let the Kremlin do whatever it wants on its southern border, and that is how NATO could get embroiled in World War III over the Levant. Cooler heads may prevail, and all sensible people should hope they do here.

Mounting Evidence Putin Will Ignite WWIII

1239725_10153414342575197_1010753202832826720_n.jpg

Turkey has created their own problem. If we were consistent we would be bombing them too

Where things may be going between Russia and Turkey, ancient enemies who have warred many times over the centuries, was evidenced this week when the Kremlin announced large-scale surprise military exercises in the regions of the country that are close to Turkey. Troops were moved to full combat readiness, the last stage before a shooting war, with Sergei Shoygu, the Russian defense minister, announcing on TV, “We began our surprise check of the military preparedness in the Southwest strategic direction.”

By letting Mr. Putin get away with whatever he likes in Syria, Mr. Obama has created a deeply dangerous situation in the region. By abandoning his infamous Syria “redline” in September 2013, the White House in effect outsourced American policy there to Mr. Putin, as I warned at the time, and which the Obama administration, powerless to influence terrible events in Syria, is slowly realizing.

“Are we heading for our ‘Sarajevo moment’?” a senior NATO official bluntly asked. “It’s clear that there has to be some actual ‘redline’ for Mr. Obama, something that the United States cannot tolerate Russia doing—but where is it? If I don’t know, I’m sure the Kremlin doesn’t either.”

That is NATO’s top concern right now: After years of weakness and vacillation, the Obama administration may find itself backed into a corner by aggressive Russian action. Particularly if coupled with intemperate Turkish reactions, that could create a nightmare of historic proportions around Aleppo. Although the White House has foresworn any military intervention in Syria’s fratricide, it’s worth noting that Mr. Obama led NATO to war in Libya exactly five years ago to prevent possible slaughter in Benghazi, a far smaller humanitarian threat than the terrifying sword of Russian artillery and airpower that’s hanging over Aleppo right now.

For their part, the Russians are upping the ante with regime media publishing claims by the Defense Ministry that air attacks on Aleppo yesterday that killed civilians, including the bombing of a hospital, were actually perpetrated by U.S. Air Force A-10s, a war crime that they say the Pentagon has tried to pin on Moscow. In fact, American intelligence knows this was the work of the Russian Air Force: “We have intercepts of the Russian pilots talking during the attack,” a Pentagon official explained. “As usual, the Russians are lying.” Yet this sort of dishonest Kremlin propaganda, what spies term disinformation, is exactly what the Obama administration has refused to counter, as I’ve explained in this column, in a futile effort to keep the Kremlin happy.

Mr. Putin instead has taken his measure of Mr. Obama and has doubled down, saving his client regime in Syria. Russia has won in Syria, and NATO and the West are stuck with that outcome, as are the unlucky residents of Aleppo. “I hope Obama doesn’t decide to get a backbone now,” said a retired American general, who knows the Russians well, “since the Kremlin is in ‘drive’ in Syria and isn’t about to do ‘reverse.’”

There seems to be little chance of this White House taking on the Russians in Syria. However, there are no guarantees that Ankara is equally inclined to let the Kremlin do whatever it wants on its southern border, and that is how NATO could get embroiled in World War III over the Levant. Cooler heads may prevail, and all sensible people should hope they do here.

Russia has actually help support Turkey when it was the Ottoman empire...in wars and development...

Russia has actually help support Turkey when it was the Ottoman empire...in wars and development...
we should have never let Turkey into NATO....

The problem isn't Putin. It's Erdogan. He's been buying ISIS oil and selling it on the black market thereby funding the terror organization and NATO nations have been turning a blind eye.

Erdogan is bombing Kurds for heavens sake under the guise of bombing ISIS. It's unreal.

But keep your eye on the real asshole in all of this. It's Turkey. I'm trying to get my seed orders done right now but I have so much shit on this wanna be dictator Erdogan it would make your head spin.

Now as to Obama. Trudeau. Cameron. Hollande. Merkel. They have no business whatsoever in Syria. NONE.

Putin on the other hand does. It's not just that he is allied with Syria. Whoa no. You have to examine the ISIS structure of command of Baghdadi's Caliphate. His right hand military man who had all the on the ground military successes for ISIS including the drive into Iraq is Chechen.

Chechens who Putin has been fighting for years. Well this summer they committed 6,000 plus jihadists to ISIS. He's taking the fight to Syria to take out ISIS there before they end up on Moscow's doorstep.

Oh and a quick aside. Omar al Shishani is now in Libya taking over the country for ISIS.

We thought we needed another air force base there...

Obama has kept us safe and got us out of fucking Iraq .

Right wing meatheads ain't happy unless they are picking chicken hawk fights for others to die for .

Right wing meatheads ain't happy unless they are picking chicken hawk fights for others to die for .
Damn right! Obama got us out of Iraq and let ISIS take over. And supplied them with trucks and tanks and artillery.

Timmy he has been responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths because of his interference directly for regime change in the Middle East to Sunni rule.

That doesn't bother you?

Damn right! Obama got us out of Iraq and let ISIS take over. And supplied them with trucks and tanks and artillery.

If I could give you a quizzilion points I would. You get it. I'm glad you are out there.

Cause the Iraqi leadership fucked things up . Sucks for them. A decade we were over there . Trillions of dollars, thousands of troops lives , 10x that came back injured . Oh, and they didn't even want us there anymore !

Yeah I think we've done enough .

Forum List

Back