Obama, Hagel & Gays

50_RiaL

Gold Member
Dec 26, 2012
Former Senator Chuck Hagel and Obama's likely pick for Secretary Of Defense is a Homophobe.

Back in 1999, Hagel told the New York Times when describing his enthusiastic support of 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' – the discriminatory policy that banned gays and lesbians from serving in the military:

“The armed forces aren’t some social experiment.”

This is a straight contradiction to the July 2011 statement by President Obama -- who signed into law on Dec. 22, 2010 the repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell" -- that“[a]s of Sept. 20, service members will no longer be forced to hide who they are in order to serve our country."

Can anyone spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y?

A year earlier in 1998 this same Chuck Hagel was hot and bothered by President Clinton's 1997 choice of openly gay James Hormel for the ambassadorship to Luxembourg. In an interview with the Omaha World-Herald in 1998, Hagel said he believed that for a U.S. ambassador, "it is an inhibiting factor to be gay." He referred to Hormel as "openly, aggressively gay."

Hagel's apology to James Hormel and the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) community this past December -- coming conveniently at a time when he's mentioned as a possible Obama choice for SOD -- was seen for its hollow, fake-sincerity by an opportunist up for an upgrade in his political career.

GetEQUAL, a gay rights group, last night appealed to President Obama not to nominate Chuck Hagel.

"GetEQUAL strongly opposes the potential nomination of Chuck Hagel to become the next Secretary of Defense. [He] has, time and time again, taken every opportunity to lambast and denigrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans, and the Cabinet is no place for this kind of disrespect," said the group's leader Tanya Domi.

From what I saw GetEQUAL is not the largest LGBT advocacy group in the U.S. Over the next few days and weeks we are going to all kinds of groups who have never so much as made their local paper show up on Fox News as the spokespeople for the LGBT community because they don't like Hagel.

If the strongest argument against Hagel is that statement then confirmation should be very quick. Wouldn't you agree?

Former Senator Chuck Hagel and Obama's likely pick for Secretary Of Defense is a Homophobe.

Back in 1999, Hagel told the New York Times when describing his enthusiastic support of 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' – the discriminatory policy that banned gays and lesbians from serving in the military:

This is a straight contradiction to the July 2011 statement by President Obama -- who signed into law on Dec. 22, 2010 the repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell" -- that“[a]s of Sept. 20, service members will no longer be forced to hide who they are in order to serve our country."

A year earlier in 1998 this same Chuck Hagel was hot and bothered by President Clinton's 1997 choice of openly gay James Hormel for the ambassadorship to Luxembourg. In an interview with the Omaha World-Herald in 1998, Hagel said he believed that for a U.S. ambassador, "it is an inhibiting factor to be gay." He referred to Hormel as "openly, aggressively gay."

Hagel's apology to James Hormel and the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) community this past December -- coming conveniently at a time when he's mentioned as a possible Obama choice for SOD -- was seen for its hollow, fake-sincerity by an opportunist up for an upgrade in his political career.

GetEQUAL, a gay rights group, last night appealed to President Obama not to nominate Chuck Hagel.

"GetEQUAL strongly opposes the potential nomination of Chuck Hagel to become the next Secretary of Defense. [He] has, time and time again, taken every opportunity to lambast and denigrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans, and the Cabinet is no place for this kind of disrespect," said the group's leader Tanya Domi.

Perfect is the enemy of the good.

Last edited:
He's not a Homophobe. If you feel homosexuality is wrong, you are not a bigot and it's not homophobia.....it is an opinion.

However people who call other people names because they don't like their opinions are just plain asses.

If Obama wants Hagel I say let him have him his political career has been lackluster to say the least I doubt you could have found a 100 people who knew who was before this came up and he tends to be Biden light when it comes to putting his foot in his mouth. As far as I can tell his negatives outweigh the positives but if Obama wants to throw the dice on him fine by me.

Speaking with the Washington Blade from his San Francisco office, Hormel criticized the apology that Hagel issued for calling Hormel “openly aggressively gay” — because it was sent only to media outlets.

“If there is an apology out there in the universe, it hasn’t reached my office,” Hormel added. “So, until that time comes, I’m just doing my work here. When I see an apology, then I’ll consider it.”

Hormel doubts sincerity of Hagel apology | Washington Blade - America's Leading Gay News Source

From what I saw GetEQUAL is not the largest LGBT advocacy group in the U.S. Over the next few days and weeks we are going to all kinds of groups who have never so much as made their local paper show up on Fox News as the spokespeople for the LGBT community because they don't like Hagel.

If the strongest argument against Hagel is that statement then confirmation should be very quick. Wouldn't you agree?

Good point. I've never even heard of this group before.

The real people who are going to be upset about Hagel are the Zionists and the people who think America should put Israel's interests before ours.

The gay thing is just a distraction, kind of like throughing mud up against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Good point. I've never even heard of this group before.

The real people who are going to be upset about Hagel are the Zionists and the people who think America should put Israel's interests before ours.

The gay thing is just a distraction, kind of like throughing mud up against the wall and seeing what sticks.

And that folks, is the naked truth.

Hagel is being nominated for Sec of Defense not spokesman for the National Gay/Straight alliance.

His personal views on the LGBT community is immaterial. DADT is gone and there's nothing he can do about it.

Liberals and gays are all about free speech, but only when they agree with what's being said. :cool:

NObody is denying Hagel's right to free speech.

They are just questioning if he is the best guy to lead DoD if one of the challenges they are facing is how to accommedate servicemen who are openly gay.

Personally, I don't think this is going to be a big deal, Hagel seems like a guy who can adapt. Also, attitudes really have changed since 1998.

1999...any more recent comments from Hagel on the repeal of DADT?

Forum List

Back