Obama Gutting The Military Despite What He Says

I wrote on here when Panetta was named SECDEF that he was sent there to dismantle the place. Military end-strength goes way down during Democrat administrations. No surprise here. This time it will be worse. They are going after pay, retirement, and health care benefits. Not cool Mr. Prez.

Remember the Bush budget that Cut money to the VA?
During his wars while the wounded were still rolling in.

I do remember.

I have no problems with the increased funding for the VA, TBI treatment, PTSD, veteran unemployment initiatives, and other such efforts by the current administration. I also have applauded the First Lady and Dr. Jill Biden for their pro-miltary platform.

My comments are concerning the maintenence of a strong military and the career designated personnel that operate it. I've lived throught the bad years and the good ones and prefer the good ones. I'm not whining about losing my benefits as they can't touch my monthly retirement check except for the annual COLA. They can and probably will mess with my health care, although I don't mind a modest increase in premiums.

VA funding and DOD monies come from different pots.

Most of the expense of the rebuild went to new equipment, new armored vehicles, fuel for ships and planes, upgrades on garrison facilities.

Now all of that will go to waste. Civilian job positions aren't being filled. New facilities needing maintainance are already falling into decay. There is only so much fat you can trim from an already lean fighting force. But Obama thinks he can bullshit us into thinking he'll make the military better. He just wants something smaller and less expensive. He wants to turn us into a second-rate world power. None of his flowery words will prevent that.

Are you fucking serious? "Lean"?

We spend more money on our Military than the next 10 largest militaries combined.

Thats because of our cost of living expenses. We pay our troops and civilian employees/contractors a hell of a lot more than other countries. All the equipment it uses is much more expensive as well since most of it is manufactured here. Yet many countries have far a bigger military (troop size) than the US.

My son is a Sgt in the Army, Ft Bragg. We spent Christmas with him and his family, and he talked about Obama wanting to cut their pay. He's been to Iraq 3 times, and now training in PsyOps. They should NEVER cut the pay of our military. They risk their lives for US....
Islam want's our country to die....and our great leader want's it too.
of course Odumber wants to cut the pay or make people get out with 15 years in so they do not get their retirement or medical benefits they worked so hard for. So he has money for his pet projects and the people in Washington get their pay raises

Are you fucking serious? "Lean"?

We spend more money on our Military than the next 10 largest militaries combined.

Yeah thats true we do spend more than the next 10 largest militaries combined. But If I am not mistaken we protect far more interests and humanitarian aid is included in the DOD budget. Also at a time where soldiers are averaging multiple deployments in their first 5 years I dont think a troop reduction is really called for. Maybe a war reduction first then we can talk about cutting troops.

But positioning another battle fleet by Iran while the tentative outcasting of US troops by Iraq has left over 23000 soldiers in Kuwait plus more in neighboring countries because nobody believes we will be gone long does not signal a promising end to wars in the middle east. Why would we shift our views to asia ie china and russia when they pose no threat and our naval and air superiority are not in question?

We need to expand and take better care of our Military, not gut it and decrease it, not having enough Troops on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan is why things got so fucked up in those places to begin with, we didn't have enough troops to everywhere we needed to be to provide security and we left pockets of those countries open for the insurgents to control.

With the end of Vietnam most elements of the Military were slightly pared down, but not as would have normally occured because of the ongoing Cold War with Russia. Bush I started a a major gut of the military and intelligence capabilities after the Cold War (supposedly) ended which was continued (and accelerated) under Clinton. 9/11 and all subsequent actions afterwards dramatically increased the military and intelligence communities and now that's winding down the paring starts all over again.
We have always followed this route, hell after the Civil War the Federal Army alone went from 1.5 million men to 30,000 almost overnight. The same growth, paring process happened with WWI, WWII and Korea.

Forum List

Back