Obama Giving Oil-Rich Alaskan Islands to Russia

"The 8 American Alaskan Islands

The eight American Alaskan islands include five in the Arctic Ocean and three in the Bering Sea.

Wrangell Island: At 3,000 square miles, it is by far the largest of the five (equal to Rhode Island and Delaware together). It has been in U.S. possession since 1881.

Bennett, Jeannette, and Henrietta Islands: Known together as the DeLong Islands, those who discovered them in 1881 received Congressional medals.

Herald Island: It was taken over by the U.S. in the late 1800s when the British abandoned it.

Copper Island, Sea Lion Rock, and Sea Otter Rock: These islands in the Bering Sea were acquired by treaty in 1867 from Russia"
MaBelle: here is the history of WRANGELL ISLAND.
<snip>
In US possession? Hardly.

Before lecturing me about Wrangell Island, it is probably most prudent to get the correct island.
Let me help you out with that:

Wrangell Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Wrangell Island is in the Alexander Archipelago in the Alaska Panhandle of southeastern Alaska. It is 48 km (30 mi) long and 8–23 km (3–14 miles) wide. It has a land area of 544.03 km2 (210.05 sq mi), making it the 29th largest island in the United States. Wrangell is separated from the mainland by the narrow Blake Channel"

This is what you were quoting from:
Wrangel Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, you've got the wrong island.

Wrangell Island isn't in question, and isn't being "given" to Russia. The island that the OP is discussing is Wrangel Island.

To those who are making claims about this issue, here is what the article actually says:

The State Department has undertaken the giveaway in the guise of a maritime boundary agreement between Alaska and Siberia. Astoundingly, our federal government itself drew the line to put these seven Alaskan islands on the Russian side. But as an executive agreement, it could be reversed with the stroke of a pen by President Obama or Secretary Clinton.

The agreement was negotiated in total secrecy. The state of Alaska was not allowed to participate in the negotiations, nor was the public given any opportunity for comment. This is despite the fact the Alaska Legislature has passed resolutions of opposition – but the State Department doesn’t seem to care.

Claims made here that the Alaskans don't mind aren't exactly true. And the maps you are perusing were made available to participating websites who always cooperate with the left.
Or a stroke of the Bush II's pen. ALL have chosen not to, 22 years after the fact is tough.

To those who are making claims about this issue, here is what the article actually says:

The State Department has undertaken the giveaway in the guise of a maritime boundary agreement between Alaska and Siberia. Astoundingly, our federal government itself drew the line to put these seven Alaskan islands on the Russian side. But as an executive agreement, it could be reversed with the stroke of a pen by President Obama or Secretary Clinton.

The agreement was negotiated in total secrecy. The state of Alaska was not allowed to participate in the negotiations, nor was the public given any opportunity for comment. This is despite the fact the Alaska Legislature has passed resolutions of opposition &#8211; but the State Department doesn&#8217;t seem to care.
Claims made here that the Alaskans don't mind aren't exactly true. And the maps you are perusing were made available to participating websites who always cooperate with the left.
Or a stroke of the Bush II's pen. ALL have chosen not to, 22 years after the fact is tough.
Read MeBelle's post, please.

Last edited:
The islands in question were first discovered and claimed for the US by De Long and the "wrangelling" (sorry, couldn't help that!, lol) for possession went on for decades. Doctor, I'm willing to guess, you know more of the history of these islands than the president does.

But this doesn't mean that he has to lie down and play dead during negotiations if he wants to "give them away." This is where the president would be wise to call Trump and get a lesson on negotiations or the balls to say "NO."

Just my thoughts.

Perhaps because the OP-ED in the OP is making things up? Nothing is being "given" to Russia.

All of the islands in question have been always been controlled by Russia, and administered by Russia. The US has NEVER made an official claim to them.

The eight American Alaskan islands include five in the Arctic Ocean and three in the Bering Sea.

Wrangell Island: At 3,000 square miles, it is by far the largest of the five (equal to Rhode Island and Delaware together). It has been in U.S. possession since 1881.
It has never been a US possession. Russia has claimed it, and administered it, since 1911.

Also, according to the State Department, never claimed by the US.
De Long Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Herald Island: It was taken over by the U.S. in the late 1800s when the British abandoned it.
Also, never claimed by the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herald_Island_(Arctic)
Copper Island, Sea Lion Rock, and Sea Otter Rock: These islands in the Bering Sea were acquired by treaty in 1867 from Russia"
No, they weren't. Copper Island (otherwise known as Medny Island) has always been controlled by Russia as well.
Medny Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for that.

Wonder why there is so much conflicting information?

Wonder why Russia didn't ratify the treaty also.

The islands in question were first discovered and claimed for the US by De Long and the "wrangelling" (sorry, couldn't help that!, lol) for possession went on for decades. Doctor, I'm willing to guess, you know more of the history of these islands than the president does.

But this doesn't mean that he has to lie down and play dead during negotiations if he wants to "give them away." This is where the president would be wise to call Trump and get a lesson on negotiations or the balls to say "NO."

Just my thoughts.

There were no "negotiations".

Obama didn't "lie down and play dead" because there haven't been any "negotiations" about these islands in nearly a hundred years.

Russia claimed them in 1916, and the US has NEVER challenged that claim.

It has never been a US possession. Russia has claimed it, and administered it, since 1911.

Also, according to the State Department, never claimed by the US.
De Long Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, never claimed by the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herald_Island_(Arctic)
No, they weren't. Copper Island (otherwise known as Medny Island) has always been controlled by Russia as well.
Medny Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for that.

Wonder why there is so much conflicting information?

Wonder why Russia didn't ratify the treaty also.

There is so much conflicting information because there's a small group of people in Alaska who want the US to take control of those islands - so they twist the facts a little.

I don't know why Russia didn't ratify the treaty, but it doesn't matter in relation to these islands, which the US has never laid claim to.

Just my thoughts.

Obama didn't "lie down and play dead" because there haven't been any "negotiations" about these islands in nearly a hundred years.

A landing on Wrangel Island took place on August 12, 1881, by a party from the USRC Corwin, who claimed the island for the United States and named it "New Columbia."[17] The expedition, under the command of Calvin L. Hooper, was seeking the Jeannette and two missing whalers in addition to conducting general exploration. It included naturalist John Muir, who published the first description of Wrangel Island. The USS Rodgers, also searching for the Jeannette, landed a party on Wrangel Island, also in 1881 but after the Corwin party. They stayed about two weeks and conducted an extensive survey and search.

* From your link at Wikipedia

Just my thoughts.
My thoughts are this: (1) No treaty was agreed to by the Russians. They did not sign the treaty
(2) The purchase of 1867 is valid with information that was available to the people of that generation.
(3) When the territory of Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867, the Russians were glad to be rid of it, and nobody here was too glad about it, because the entire deal became known as "Seward's Ice Box."
(4) The Obama administration did not contact the State of Alaska about this, and held their meetings in secrecy.
(5) Obama has no respect for private companies that do not funnel a ton of money into his political campaigns, and that's just plain wrong.
(6) Other presidents were not invited to Obama's and Hillary's secret meeting.

I'm not buying the mudslinging at other presidents for this unsigned treaty.

Just my thoughts.

A landing on Wrangel Island took place on August 12, 1881, by a party from the USRC Corwin, who claimed the island for the United States and named it "New Columbia."[17] The expedition, under the command of Calvin L. Hooper, was seeking the Jeannette and two missing whalers in addition to conducting general exploration. It included naturalist John Muir, who published the first description of Wrangel Island. The USS Rodgers, also searching for the Jeannette, landed a party on Wrangel Island, also in 1881 but after the Corwin party. They stayed about two weeks and conducted an extensive survey and search.

Yeah, that's where the spin comes from.

The fact that someone "claimed it" for the US doesn't mean anything when the State Department doesn't agree.

MaBelle: here is the history of WRANGELL ISLAND.
<snip>
In US possession? Hardly.

Before lecturing me about Wrangell Island, it is probably most prudent to get the correct island.
Let me help you out with that:

Wrangell Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Wrangell Island is in the Alexander Archipelago in the Alaska Panhandle of southeastern Alaska. It is 48 km (30 mi) long and 8–23 km (3–14 miles) wide. It has a land area of 544.03 km2 (210.05 sq mi), making it the 29th largest island in the United States. Wrangell is separated from the mainland by the narrow Blake Channel"

This is what you were quoting from:

Actually, you've got the wrong island.

Wrangell Island isn't in question, and isn't being "given" to Russia. The island that the OP is discussing is Wrangel Island.

Dang, I mucked up!
I stand corrected! Thanks!

The fact that someone "claimed it" for the US doesn't mean anything when the State Department doesn't agree.

Maybe someone should call Hillary

Just my thoughts.
My thoughts are this: (1) No treaty was agreed to by the Russians. They did not sign the treaty
They signed the treaty in 1867. The lines haven't been changed.
(2) The purchase of 1867 is valid with information that was available to the people of that generation.
And the purchase in 1867 didn't include any of the islands in question.
(3) When the territory of Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867, the Russians were glad to be rid of it, and nobody here was too glad about it, because the entire deal became known as "Seward's Ice Box."
Or "Seward's Folly". I know. What does that have to do with anything.
(4) The Obama administration did not contact the State of Alaska about this, and held their meetings in secrecy.
The Obama administration has not held any "negotiations" about this.
(5) Obama has no respect for private companies that do not funnel a ton of money into his political campaigns, and that's just plain wrong.
What does that have to do with anything we're talking about?
(6) Other presidents were not invited to Obama's and Hillary's secret meeting.
Obama and Hilary didn't have a "secret meeting" about this.

Obama literally did NOTHING about this.

I'm not buying the mudslinging at other presidents for this unsigned treaty.

Maybe someone should call Hillary
What does Hilary Clinton have to do with this?

Last edited:
There is so much conflicting information because there's a small group of people in Alaska who want the US to take control of those islands - so they twist the facts a little.

I don't know why Russia didn't ratify the treaty, but it doesn't matter in relation to these islands, which the US has never laid claim to.

Why do you think the US felt the need to even write a treaty to begin with if we didn't think we owned the land?

Fur Rendezvous starts tomorrow!

Last edited:

Why do you think the US felt the need to even write a treaty to begin with if we didn't think we owned the land?

Fur Rendezvous starts tomorrow!

That is the question.

Forum List

Back