Obama gives a shout out to non believers .....

I believe I answered that question when I stated that I believed in God and the son of God, Jesus, and that I believed non-believers will go to Hell.

Did you miss that?

Regarding atheism being included in "religions of the world" the whole thread is about the unfettered joy atheists are experiencing because they were included among the litany of religions.

Sorry Dillo, you've lost me with that. Can you expand?

do my best--there are some religious people who are rookies at expressing it yet still make it known that they are religious. They are poor examples yet give other people the false impression that ALL religious people are and act like the poor examples. Non -religious people seem to overlook the fact that they are judging all the people of belief by the actions of a few who may be very poor at it.

First of all, I don't proclaim my atheism from any roof tops. I only tell people I'm an atheist if they ask about my religious beliefs or want me to pray with them or whatever. Or when it's relevant to a disscussion.

Second my butt doesn't hurt. I'm happy that Obama included non believers in his idea of what makes up the American public. I'm sorry that made you angry that he did or that I'm happy to have been recognized.

You started a thread to pronounce your joyful surprise that atheism was included among the list of religions referenced by Obama.

That's shouting it from the rooftops.

do my best--there are some religious people who are rookies at expressing it yet still make it known that they are religious. They are poor examples yet give other people the false impression that ALL religious people are and act like the poor examples. Non -religious people seem to overlook the fact that they are judging all the people of belief by the actions of a few who may be very poor at it.

Thanks for clarifying. Agree. Rep headed your way....

I believe I answered that question when I stated that I believed in God and the son of God, Jesus, and that I believed non-believers will go to Hell.

Did you miss that?

Regarding atheism being included in "religions of the world" the whole thread is about the unfettered joy atheists are experiencing because they were included among the litany of religions.

I guess that means you are a christian then.

Why do you not try to follow the religion you are supposed to be a part of?

Wrong. Included as Americans, Allie.

"To become acquainted with one's brothers and sisters, to know their problems and to learn to love them, is the supreme experience of living."
~ Urantia Book, Page 1431:1 (130:2.6)

"You are commissioned to save men, not to judge them."
~ Urantia Book, Page 1571:4 (140:3.17)

Take care that you do not wound the self-respect of timid and fearful souls. Do not indulge in sarcasm...
~ Urantia Book, Page 1765:6 (159:3.4)

As you grow older in years and more experienced in the affairs of the kingdom, are you becoming more tactful in dealing with troublesome mortals and more tolerant in living with stubborn associates? Tact is the fulcrum of social leverage, and tolerance is the earmark of a great soul. If you possess these rare and charming gifts, as the days pass you will become more alert and expert in your worthy efforts to avoid all unnecessary social misunderstandings.
~ Urantia Book, Page 1740:5 (156:5.18)

"Make not the mistake of trying to pluck a mote out of your brother's eye when there is a beam in your own eye. Having first cast the beam out of your own eye, you can the better see to cast the mote out of your brother's eye."

"Become interested in your fellows; learn how to love them and watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done,"
~ Urantia Book, Page 1438:5 (130:7.2)

"...show forth love, compassion, and sympathy."
~ Urantia Book, Page 1535:5 (137:7.13)

In a list of religions. If it was just about being included as "Americans" every single religion should have been listed, as well as every race, culture, and sexual orientation. You weren't excited about being included as an American, you know and I know nobody has ever challenged the citizenship of atheists (as they do, say, Muslims, or in the old days, blacks). You were excited to be listed among the major religions.

Which is the annoying thing about atheists. They claim to have no religion, and, as I said, get butt hurt when they aren't included alongside all the religions they don't believe in.

In a list of religions. If it was just about being included as "Americans" every single religion should have been listed, as well as every race, culture, and sexual orientation. You weren't excited about being included as an American, you know and I know nobody has ever challenged the citizenship of atheists (as they do, say, Muslims, or in the old days, blacks). You were excited to be listed among the major religions.

Which is the annoying thing about atheists. They claim to have no religion, and, as I said, get butt hurt when they aren't included alongside all the religions they don't believe in.

so these asshole atheists confide in you?
interesting......

"To become acquainted with one's brothers and sisters, to know their problems and to learn to love them, is the supreme experience of living."
~ Urantia Book, Page 1431:1 (130:2.6)

"You are commissioned to save men, not to judge them."

Take care that you do not wound the self-respect of timid and fearful souls. Do not indulge in sarcasm...
~ Urantia Book, Page 1765:6 (159:3.4)

As you grow older in years and more experienced in the affairs of the kingdom, are you becoming more tactful in dealing with troublesome mortals and more tolerant in living with stubborn associates? Tact is the fulcrum of social leverage, and tolerance is the earmark of a great soul. If you possess these rare and charming gifts, as the days pass you will become more alert and expert in your worthy efforts to avoid all unnecessary social misunderstandings.
~ Urantia Book, Page 1740:5 (156:5.18)

"Make not the mistake of trying to pluck a mote out of your brother's eye when there is a beam in your own eye. Having first cast the beam out of your own eye, you can the better see to cast the mote out of your brother's eye."

"Become interested in your fellows; learn how to love them and watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done,"
~ Urantia Book, Page 1438:5 (130:7.2)

"...show forth love, compassion, and sympathy."
~ Urantia Book, Page 1535:5 (137:7.13)

I shall stand by and wait for you to be the embodiment of all those lofty ideals.

religion definition | Dictionary.com

re⋅li⋅gion   /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.
—Idiom9. get religion, Informal. a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.
b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.

Non -religious people seem to overlook the fact that they are judging all the people of belief by the actions of a few who may be very poor at it.

Don't you mean some non religious people? Or are you judging all the people of non faith by the actions of a few?

:lol:

I have said more than once on this board that I often find I have more in common with some people of faith than I do with other non believers. So please leave me out of your generalization.

Both sides have reasons to feel attacked for their beliefs or lack of.

Try not to be so sensitive. :razz:

Allie if you bother to read and educate yourself then you would realize the definition of religion is not exclusive to only those that believe in a god.

Still wondering if someone can tell me what different kinds of atheists there are...

Forum List

Back