Obama gives a shout out to non believers .....

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
...during his inaugural speech.

“We know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus — and non-believers.”

:clap2:

GOBAMA!!!!

“We know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus — and non-believers.”

GOBAMA!!!!

I saw that and was glad to see it.

With so much talk about God in politics, it's good to see Obama recognize those who don't believe in any sort of God and or religion.

I saw that and was glad to see it.

With so much talk about God in politics, it's good to see Obama recognize those who don't believe in any sort of God and or religion.

And to think, 50 years ago, during the red scourge, it would have been unthinkable for any president to recognize that atheists are Americans too. I don't think I can even recall any recent president acknowledging anything of the sort.

I'm curious...if atheists don't believe in God, why do they find it necessary to be included among those with faith? How is that relevant to them?

Answer: It's not. They're just assholes who don't like it when anyone refers to his or her own faith.

• Thanks
Reactions: Gem
And to think, 50 years ago, during the red scourge, it would have been unthinkable for any president to recognize that atheists are Americans too. I don't think I can even recall any recent president acknowledging anything of the sort.

welllll??? do you feel included ???

I'm curious...if atheists don't believe in God, why do they find it necessary to be included among those with faith? How is that relevant to them?

Answer: It's not. They're just assholes who don't like it when anyone refers to his or her own faith.

nice to see that baptist charity shining through as always, allie.

I guess it's hard for some people to accept that some religious people have respect for the nonreligious.

hell --I wan't even talking about Robert---- i was just happy to see some happy athiests for a change. wellllllll do you feel included ?

welllll??? do you feel included ???

I think it's step in the right direction. It's not a question of my feeling included or excluded, even though some religious fanatics would like atheists to feel excluded. I've never felt less of an American for feeling strongly about the need to maintain a seperation of church and state.

GOBAMA!!!!
You know, I actually thought of you when he said that. Does that mean I'm crazy?

Highlights of Obama's speech:

"We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things."

"We will not apologise for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

"To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West - know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy."

"But those values upon which our success depends - hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism - these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task."

"So let us mark this day with remembrance, of who we are and how far we have travelled. In the year of America's birth, in the coldest of months, a small band of patriots huddled by dying campfires on the shores of an icy river. The capital was abandoned. The enemy was advancing. The snow was stained with blood. At a moment when the outcome of our revolution was most in doubt, the father of our nation ordered these words be read to the people: "Let it be told to the future world...that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive...that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet [it]."
Obama's inaugural speech: full transcript - US Election, World news - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I'm no fan, but the man has an excellent speech writer. Obviously not Michelle.

I think it's step in the right direction. It's not a question of my feeling included or excluded, even though some religious fanatics would like atheists to feel excluded. I've never felt less of an American for feeling strongly about the need to maintain a seperation of church and state.

and i've never felt less religious for feeling the same way.

nice to see that baptist charity shining through as always, allie.

I have yet to meet an atheist who isn't a complete and total asshole to Christians. When that happens, I'll throw you a party.

Forum List

Back