Obama Girls Benefit from Private School

But the other thing is that being poor sucks, and is hard in America. Until you address the underlying causes, there will be lots of kids who grow up in really shitty situations with really poor parents. Theres only so much the schools can do.

And yet, there are many inner city schools in poor areas that are managing to teach children to read. Shockers.

If what you say is true, and poor people are doomed to fail in school, then the voucher program makes MORE sense. Let the kids who can make it out flee from the failure and make something of themselves.
I don't agree with you. Some private schools can and do suck as bad as some public schools.

And since the parents are paying for it they can pull them out and put them someplace else if they don't like the school. Wouldn't it be great if poor, public school students had the same option?

And yet, there are many inner city schools in poor areas that are managing to teach children to read. Shockers.

If what you say is true, and poor people are doomed to fail in school, then the voucher program makes MORE sense. Let the kids who can make it out flee from the failure and make something of themselves.
I don't agree with you. Some private schools can and do suck as bad as some public schools.

And since the parents are paying for it they can pull them out and put them someplace else if they don't like the school. Wouldn't it be great if poor, public school students had the same option?
exactly

too bad they want the kids stuck in whatever hell hole happens to cover their geographic area

exactly

too bad they want the kids stuck in whatever hell hole happens to cover their geographic area

which i cant understand why?....say the school costs 25 thou., the voucher lets say is 10 thou.(just to use a number) and you are able to pay the other 15.....why wont the anti-voucher people allow you to do that?.....what happened to school choice? its allowed with the public schools,out here anyway.....

Harry, I've presented empirical evidence illustrating the role of vouchers in adversely affecting prospects for equality of opportunity. Where's your evidence?

Sure...but if you eliminate the public schools you eliminate that choice.

Sure...but if you eliminate the public schools you eliminate that choice.

This was already addressed.... Choice isn't only about private schools, despite the focus on Obama's kids. It's about the choice of a better quality school if you/your children happen to live in a district that sucks.

evidence of what?....are you reading what im writing there?

What are you writing? I presented plenty of evidence of vouchers increasing inequality of opportunity. Plenty here simply kept babbling on whilst ignoring the studies that had been quoted.

Where? I didn't see it. All I saw was one statement that said there was supposedly 'evidence', you didn't state what it was or where it came from as far as I saw?

It's about the choice of a better quality school if you/your children happen to live in a district that sucks.

That's it, exactly. Too many kids are trapped in failing schools without the option of leaving. It's fine that we want to improve schools, and quite obviously, we should. You'll never see a bigger proponent of the need to improve inner city schools as the primary element of attaining social justice in the community, than me. BUT...until that happens, you have to give people a way out. You need a relief valve. Too many kids are falling through the cracks in failing schools with no real choice.

Immediate relief is needed until change happens.

Last edited:
evidence of what?....are you reading what im writing there?

What are you writing? I presented plenty of evidence of vouchers increasing inequality of opportunity. Plenty here simply kept babbling on whilst ignoring the studies that had been quoted.

i dont care about the "studies" Nem.....if i want to and am able to, i should be able to take what they spend on my kid every year,and go to a private school and give it to them.....if im paying for something and the ones i am paying are not delivering,i should have the right to go else where to someone who is and can....if our public schools were as good as they were when i and many others on this board were in high school....this thread would be non-existence.....

It's about the choice of a better quality school if you/your children happen to live in a district that sucks.

That's it, exactly. Too many kids are trapped in failing schools without the option of leaving. It's fine that we want to improve schools, and quite obviously, we should. You'll never see a bigger proponent of the need to improve inner city schools as the primary element of attaining social justice in the community, than me. BUT...until that happens, you have to give people a way out. You need a relief valve. Too many kids are falling through the cracks in failing schools with no real choice.

and that needs to be done on a LOCAL level
get the feds the hell out of it

That is irrational...unless you just hate people in small communities ..pockets of poverty...maybe a town that lost its major source of employment. What??...just fuck those folks?

What the hell is wrong with you? Did some poor kid beat your ass down and take your lunch money when you were a child?

Grow up...stand up and be a man. Why do we help those in need? Because we can.

That is irrational...unless you just hate people in small communities ..pockets of poverty...maybe a town that lost its major source of employment. What??...just fuck those folks?

What the hell is wrong with you? Did some poor kid beat your ass down and take your lunch money when you were a child?

no, because it isnt the constitutional job of the feds to do anything about education
that is a LOCAL responsibility
you dont like it, change the constitution

no, because it isnt the constitutional job of the feds to do anything about education
I think getting rid of No Child Left Behind would be a first, positive step. Unfunded federal mandates do nothing but hurt the States.

I think getting rid of No Child Left Behind would be a first, positive step. Unfunded federal mandates do nothing but hurt the States.
NCLB wasnt unfunded
that wasnt the problem
the problem was you had people in DC telling people in the local schools what to do
and most of the time those in DC dont have a CLUE whats needed in the local areas

i agree to do away with it
but also do away with the whole department of education, and cut taxes accordingly and let the state/local governemtn tax that money for what they need

notice i'm not saying to cut taxes and not raise them in other areas, but to cut the federal taxes so the state/locals can get that money

NCLB wasnt unfunded
that wasnt the problem
the problem was you had people in DC telling people in the local schools what to do
and most of the time those in DC dont have a CLUE whats needed in the local areas

but also do away with the whole department of education, and cut taxes accordingly and let the state/local governemtn tax that money for what they need

notice i'm not saying to cut taxes and not raise them in other areas, but to cut the federal taxes so the state/locals can get that money

Since property taxes pay a good portion, and the States/locals hand money over to the Feds that the Feds turn around and give back, there probably wouldn't be a need to raise them too much anyway.

NCLB wasnt unfunded
that wasnt the problem

Since property taxes pay a good portion, and the States/locals hand money over to the Feds that the Feds turn around and give back, there probably wouldn't be a need to raise them too much anyway.
thats why we need to eliminate the middle man
get the feds out of it with the exception of setting a basic standard

Forum List

Back