Obama Girls Benefit from Private School

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
But poor blacks in DC probably wouldn't.

Right?

Hit & Run > When It Comes to School Choice For Low-Income DC Residents, Obama Offers Crumb (And Is One) - Reason Magazine

President Obama, proud father of two daughters attending private school, has relented as little as possible when it comes to continuing the proven-effective, cost-effective DC school voucher program, which gives 1,700 kids up to $7,500 per year to get the hell out of the DC public school system. From the Wash Post and following a rally for the program yesterday:

This REALLY, REALLY pisses me off. If Obama believes so much in what this particular urban school district is doing, his kids should be attending there. Put your FAMILY where your mouth is, and then we'll all know you're telling the truth. But instead, he's just thrown a biscuit to the powerful teacher's union, and shown us that he's kind of a hypocrite..."Do as I say, not as I do."

• Banned
More on this...

Mercedes Campbell is one of the 1,700 students in the Washington, D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program, a school-voucher program authorized by Congress in 2004. The program gives students up to $7,500 to attend whatever school their parents choose. For kids like Mercedes, who now attends Georgetown Visitation Prep, the DC voucher program is a way out of one of the worst school districts in the country.

"It's different, now that I go to Visitation," says Mercedes. "I approach things differently. It's like a whole new world, basically."

The program is wildly popular with parents and children—there are four applicants for every available slot—and a recent Department of Education study found that participants do significantly better than their public school peers. Indeed, after three years in private schools, students who entered the program at its inception were 19 months ahead in reading of applicants unlucky enough to still be trapped in D.C.'s public schools.

Yet working with congressional Democrats and despite his pledge to put politics and ideology aside in education, the Obama administration has effectively killed the program through a backdoor legislative move. "[Education] Secretary [Arne] Duncan will use only one test in what ideas to support with your precious tax dollars," says the president. "It's not whether it's liberal or conservative, but whether it works."

That sort of doublespeak has left many Obama supporters not just puzzled but outraged. Certainly, Mercedes is. "Out of everything else they can shut down or everything else they can advocate for, they want to take this one thing away?" Adds her mother, Ingrid, "We voted for you, we walked, we went to the parade, we stood freezing. Why?...Can you get this tape over to Obama and have him answer our questions? Why, sir, why?"

That's the question that will be asked on Wednesday, May 6, from 1P.M. to 2P.M., at a D.C. rally to reauthorize the voucher program. For more details, go here.
Hit & Run > Reason.tv: Barack Obama & The DC School Voucher Program—The president says he wants to do "what's best for kids." So why won't he save a proven program that helps low-income students? - Reason Magazine

There's a word for what Obama did to his DC constituents: betrayal.

Last edited:

Right?

Hit & Run > When It Comes to School Choice For Low-Income DC Residents, Obama Offers Crumb (And Is One) - Reason Magazine

President Obama, proud father of two daughters attending private school, has relented as little as possible when it comes to continuing the proven-effective, cost-effective DC school voucher program, which gives 1,700 kids up to $7,500 per year to get the hell out of the DC public school system. From the Wash Post and following a rally for the program yesterday:

This REALLY, REALLY pisses me off. If Obama believes so much in what this particular urban school district is doing, his kids should be attending there. Put your FAMILY where your mouth is, and then we'll all know you're telling the truth. But instead, he's just thrown a biscuit to the powerful teacher's union, and shown us that he's kind of a hypocrite..."Do as I say, not as I do."

He's the fucking president idiot. And when you make the kind of money the Messiah makes, you too can send your kids to private schools.

The difference is, you want us to pay for your kids to go to a private school that discriminates and probably doesn't pay taxes like Churches don't. Fuck that. You want to send your little kids to private school, pay for it.

Remember, people like you fought universal education, just like now you fight against universal healthcare. Am I right? Now you realize that you aren't a Republican. If you really were, you wouldn't have a problem affording private school.

So you are voting outside of your tax bracket. Stop that. Then maybe public schools will be better funded and your kids will do better.

PS. Public schools are better than private anyways. Don't raise a bunch of private school pussies.

Interesting, but did you realize that if the DC school district offered $7500.00 to every student there wouldn't even be enough money in their budget for even half of the students?

Who would get the money?

I suppose they could give every student $3000.00. Think there are any private schools with a tuition cost of $3000.00?

i really don't care where his kids go to school....but it is hypocritical to point to republicans or mccain and proclaim, they're out of touch with the common people and then send your kids to the elite of the elite private schools...

Again, instead of offering real solutions to our economy and to our country, the Republicans just attack everyone else. This IS the party of no. The party of no more elections... as in the Republicans will never be elected to the White House again.

Can private schools provide a better education than public schools? Of course and that is why those that can afford a private education will continue to to do so.

The idea that the Obama's should sent their kids to public school with all the inherent issues of safety and security to the First children is just so much blather.

This is really just a cover for those that want to destroy public education.

Right?

Barack Obama on Education

Americans voted in Barack Hussein Obama as president of the United States in an election weighted down with the harsh realities of a down-turning economy and two costly wars. Now that the dust is beginning to settle, many Americans are wondering what the new president will do to improve their children's education.

Throughout his campaign, Barack Obama has said he plans to take a fresh, objective look at the age-old debate over education issues. “A truly historic commitment to education – a real commitment will require new resources and new reforms,” Obama says. “It will require a willingness to break free from the same debates that Washington has been engaged in for decades – Democrat versus Republican; vouchers versus the status quo; more money versus more accountability. And most of all, it will take a President who is honest about the challenges we face – who doesn’t just tell everyone what they want to hear, but what they need to hear.” Where does Obama stand specifically on the most pressing education issues? Here’s our cheat sheet on education according to Obama:

Quite a mouthful....

More on this...

Mercedes Campbell is one of the 1,700 students in the Washington, D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program, a school-voucher program authorized by Congress in 2004. The program gives students up to $7,500 to attend whatever school their parents choose. For kids like Mercedes, who now attends Georgetown Visitation Prep, the DC voucher program is a way out of one of the worst school districts in the country.

"It's different, now that I go to Visitation," says Mercedes. "I approach things differently. It's like a whole new world, basically."

The program is wildly popular with parents and children—there are four applicants for every available slot—and a recent Department of Education study found that participants do significantly better than their public school peers. Indeed, after three years in private schools, students who entered the program at its inception were 19 months ahead in reading of applicants unlucky enough to still be trapped in D.C.'s public schools.

Yet working with congressional Democrats and despite his pledge to put politics and ideology aside in education, the Obama administration has effectively killed the program through a backdoor legislative move. "[Education] Secretary [Arne] Duncan will use only one test in what ideas to support with your precious tax dollars," says the president. "It's not whether it's liberal or conservative, but whether it works."

That sort of doublespeak has left many Obama supporters not just puzzled but outraged. Certainly, Mercedes is. "Out of everything else they can shut down or everything else they can advocate for, they want to take this one thing away?" Adds her mother, Ingrid, "We voted for you, we walked, we went to the parade, we stood freezing. Why?...Can you get this tape over to Obama and have him answer our questions? Why, sir, why?"

That's the question that will be asked on Wednesday, May 6, from 1P.M. to 2P.M., at a D.C. rally to reauthorize the voucher program. For more details, go here.
Hit & Run > Reason.tv: Barack Obama & The DC School Voucher Program—The president says he wants to do "what's best for kids." So why won't he save a proven program that helps low-income students? - Reason Magazine

I bet the run down school district could us the 12 million or so dollars spent on this voucher program to make their run down schools better for the rest of the kids who attend. Why don't you look up the number of kids who do not get to go to a private school and have to stay in their under funded public school.

Right?

That's why advocating school choice is so ludicrous on its face. There aren't enough Triple A schools to accommodate all the students who wish for a better education than the one they're getting. Most of the private schools are too expensive. Build more schools? The JUST SAY NO BRIGADE doesn't want that to happen either, with federal funding, and states can't afford it.

Obama doesn't want his children attending public school because the quality of education is so low, especially in DC. Why wouldn't he send them to a private school? Anyone would, if they could. It's a no-brainer.

More on this...

From the article:
Congress voted in March to cut off funding after the 2009-10 academic year unless the entire program is reauthorized by lawmakers, a dim prospect in the Democrat-led body. The White House proposal would revise the law and secure grants for the coming school year, but Obama has to persuade Democratic lawmakers to support a gradual phaseout by continuing to include grant funding in future appropriation bills.

So, it's not completely dead yet. Like many other issues, this has become a balancing act of trying to placate everyone.

Again, instead of offering real solutions to our economy and to our country, the Republicans just attack everyone else. This IS the party of no. The party of no more elections... as in the Republicans will never be elected to the White House again.

people said the same thing about dems a few years ago.....

Can private schools provide a better education than public schools? Of course and that is why those that can afford a private education will continue to to do so.

The idea that the Obama's should sent their kids to public school with all the inherent issues of safety and security to the First children is just so much blather.

This is really just a cover for those that want to destroy public education.

No, it's just a sampling of a daily rant against Obama. Ho-hum.

I can't think of any other children of presidents who attended a DC public school except Amy Carter, who hated it.

Right?

Americans voted in Barack Hussein Obama as president of the United States in an election weighted down with the harsh realities of a down-turning economy and two costly wars. Now that the dust is beginning to settle, many Americans are wondering what the new president will do to improve their children's education.

Throughout his campaign, Barack Obama has said he plans to take a fresh, objective look at the age-old debate over education issues. “A truly historic commitment to education – a real commitment will require new resources and new reforms,” Obama says. “It will require a willingness to break free from the same debates that Washington has been engaged in for decades – Democrat versus Republican; vouchers versus the status quo; more money versus more accountability. And most of all, it will take a President who is honest about the challenges we face – who doesn’t just tell everyone what they want to hear, but what they need to hear.” Where does Obama stand specifically on the most pressing education issues? Here’s our cheat sheet on education according to Obama:

Quite a mouthful....

Your point? Obama wants quality education for ALL children. Obviously, he is able to give HIS OWN CHILDREN that opportunity. What part of this aren't you, er, UNeducated fools not getting?

if they had attended public schools you would be bitchin about the cost of security, any parent who kids are in the type of danger these young ladies are in daily. What aryan wouldnt like to go down in history as killing the first black president or part of his family?

more spending does not improve school...toss computers out of school....put books back in libraries and teach students to read, write and do math...and think..the little things will figure the rest out..hell who do you go to when you want to figure out...a cellphone, twitter etc...you find a kid...you dont ask your buddy unless he has the kid.....

stop mainstreaming...dont teach to the lowest common denominater in a school..go back to blue bird, robins, sparrows....hell we all knew who the dumb kids were....that has not changed

But Dems were united, and thanks to Howard Dean's state-by-state strategy, poised to assume control. The GOP now stands for the Grand Obsolete Party.

"We don't need to go on a listening tour; we need to go on a teaching tour."
~~ Herr Limbaugh

But Dems were united, and thanks to Howard Dean's state-by-state strategy, poised to assume control. The GOP now stands for the Grand Obsolete Party.

"We don't need to go on a listening tour; we need to go on a teaching tour."
~~ Herr Limbaugh

do you like sounding like a cliche?

Didn't Clinton do the same thing? Talk big about public education then send his kid to an elite private school. Left hypocrisy. It's so easy to talk the talk, much harder to walk the walk.

FWIW, the kids will have Secret Service protection no matter what school they go to, so that argument is out the window.

Forum List

Back