Obama freezes unfriendly coverage

Ame®icano;1615412 said:
They did not report it as unverified - both Beck and Rove, for example - talked about it on - on multiple shows - as if it were true. That's tabloid - not journalism.

Coyote, I quoted above what you wrote. Did you wrote that? Yes.

FoxNews reported what that woman said. Can you write in your own words what that woman said?

I'm not sure why you are asking me to do that.

She claimed to have killed her husband.

They reported it as if she did kill her husband - not with any sort of statement indicating that this was not yet verified.

That is completely not true.

They reported that she admitted to klilling her husband during the conversation. They NEVER confirmed anything about her killing her husband...

Why are you making that up? They never ONCE confirmed anything...they simply reported what she said.

Jeez....THAT is an unfair addition to the debate. It is compoletely not true.

Ame®icano;1615412 said:
They did not report it as unverified - both Beck and Rove, for example - talked about it on - on multiple shows - as if it were true. That's tabloid - not journalism.

FoxNews reported what that woman said. Can you write in your own words what that woman said?

They reported it as if she did kill her husband - not with any sort of statement indicating that this was not yet verified.

They show the video where she claimed she killed her husband. The story is her claim which they backed up with video.

Look above, I quoted what you said. I didn't have to claim you said it, I simply quoted you.
If you said it on video and posted on youtube, I would just provide the link.

To talk about the great things a racist did in the past is not relevant.

Yes. It is. A person is the sum of all his actions in life. Leaving it out leaves out a whole lot. This was a man who served his country - whether you like him or not.

FOX...and other outlets I am sure.....mentioned his bio as a marine and such...but there was no reason to play on it as it was his actions of today that were relevant.

Of course there was no reason to play on it - it much better served their agendas to play up any possible racist angles and insight hatred and fear of a white-hating black racist close to Obama.

OJ Simpson....many outlets talked of his career in football as part of his bio...BUT PLAYED ON TGHE MURDERS as THAT was the story.

O.J. Simpson, very likely, brutally murdered two people and got away with it. To attempt to compare that act with Wright is disengenius. Racism and racist are two words who's definitions have gotten stretched way out of shape, and get thrown around very lightly at every confrontation whether true or not.

We heard as part of his Bio that Madoff was president of Nasdaq.....but the bulk of the reporting was his scheme.

Perhaps you can point out to me where Wright committed a crime that destroyed many people's retirement, forcing others into poverty and foreclosure with a price tag of...how many millions?

If the guy that kidnapped and raped that girl for 18 years was a marine years ago...should they have played on that?

I do not think you are seeing this logically.

I'm seeing it very logically. You are taking actions of varying magnitudes and states of criminality and trying to claim they are all ethically the same when it comes to judging a person's character.

Ame®icano;1615533 said:
Ame®icano;1615412 said:

They show the video where she claimed she killed her husband. The story is her claim which they backed up with video.

Look above, I quoted what you said. I didn't have to claim you said it, I simply quoted you.
If you said it on video and posted on youtube, I would just provide the link.

Ok, fair enough :)

I actually agree, unfortunately. But outright lies and character smearing should be called out. The Dan Rather incident was a huge and glaring indicator of that decline. In addition - the viral nature of the the internet in disseminating opinion/inuendo/rumor almost instantaneously further obscures the difference between fact and opinion, news and comment. There is less and less in-depth coverage of important issues and more and more sensationalism. Ann Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson merit more coverage than Afghanistan or health care.
Thing is that Rather had completely fabricated parts of a big story out of whole cloth before.

Anne Morse on Rathergate & Vietnam on National Review Online

Well, he was rightfully fired.

But a different standard appears to apply to Fox.

I think people have a tendency to view the "evidence" through the prism of their own preconceived ideas. How many times has a "preponderence of the evidence" presented here confirm what you previously believed? How often does it change your mind?

I think people have a tendency to view the "evidence" through the prism of their own preconceived ideas. How many times has a "preponderence of the evidence" presented here confirm what you previously believed? How often does it change your mind?

Well, I got my mind changed about supporting ACORN...

Yes. It is. A person is the sum of all his actions in life. Leaving it out leaves out a whole lot. This was a man who served his country - whether you like him or not.

FOX...and other outlets I am sure.....mentioned his bio as a marine and such...but there was no reason to play on it as it was his actions of today that were relevant.

Of course there was no reason to play on it - it much better served their agendas to play up any possible racist angles and insight hatred and fear of a white-hating black racist close to Obama.

O.J. Simpson, very likely, brutally murdered two people and got away with it. To attempt to compare that act with Wright is disengenius. Racism and racist are two words who's definitions have gotten stretched way out of shape, and get thrown around very lightly at every confrontation whether true or not.

We heard as part of his Bio that Madoff was president of Nasdaq.....but the bulk of the reporting was his scheme.

Perhaps you can point out to me where Wright committed a crime that destroyed many people's retirement, forcing others into poverty and foreclosure with a price tag of...how many millions?

If the guy that kidnapped and raped that girl for 18 years was a marine years ago...should they have played on that?

I'm seeing it very logically. You are taking actions of varying magnitudes and states of criminality and trying to claim they are all ethically the same when it comes to judging a person's character.

Wow...what a sad attempt to divert.

I do not comapre wrihgt to madoff or simpson...all I was doing was showing you how reporters report.

Wright could have been a true war hero...but the story had to do with what he said about America...NOT about Wright himself....it was about his RECENT words of hate......not about his actions years earlier.

And the story became a story when Obama refused to admit he knew of those words.

So where would his past come into play?

This why I used examples of other news figures....simply to show that the past is irrelevant to a story when the story has do do with PRESENT actions.

And here is the irony of your logic....

Obama and his supporters gave a free pass to Ayers because "they were actions in his past and he should be judged by his actions of the present"..."

Yet you are saying one should be judged by his actions of the past and Not just his actions of the present

Sadly ironic if you ask me.

Last edited:
Had to post this alone as even I was taken aback when it ocurred to me....

here is the irony of your logic....

Obama and his supporters gave a free pass to Ayers because "they were actions in his past and he should be judged by his actions of the present"..."

Yet you are saying one should be judged by his actions of the past and Not just his actions of the present.

And NOW, can someone explain to me how FOX news can call themselves "Fair and Balanced" when the views they choose to broadcast stray so very far from Fair and Balanced."

No one has been able to explain to me why the opinions they choose to broadcast do not reflect the 50% favorable 42% unfavorable that their own polling indicates would be an accurate reflection of public opinion.

Or even if you argue - public opinion be damned - 50-50 is "Fair and Balanced" then how can they miss that mark by such a wide margin and STILL claim fairness and balance.

Don't take mine or anyone else's word for it - do it yourself. Just get a pad of paper and put a tick mark under favorable or unfavorable at every quote, every opinion, every ticker item, that this network choose to broadcast. Then do the math.

Short list of liberals that appear on Fox either as contributors or guest.

Ellis Heinican, Susan Estrich, Chris Wallace, Geraldo Rivera, Alan Colmes, Bernie Sanders, John Edwards, Mark Mellman, Terry McAuliffe, Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sen. Dennis Kucinich, Rep. Charles Rangle, Minister Hashim Nzinga, Geraldine Ferraro, Bob Beckel, Lanny Davis, Joe Lieberman, Tammy Bruce, Pat Caddell, Neal Gabler, Jane Hall, Jeff Cohen, Juan WIlliams, Mara Liason, Morton Kondracke, Rosie O'Donnell, Ed Asner, Steven Baldwin, Alec Baldwin, Matt Damon, Mile Farrell etc. etc. etc.....

I would argue that Fox News has more liberals on than MSNBC or the CNN has Republicans/conservatives probably combined.

Lieberman a liberal?

Tammy Bruce?????? - the one who wrote the book "The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values"?????

Pat Caddell??? If he is a liberal he has a strange way of showing it with his incessant and harsh criticism of Democrats and liberals.

This lengthy list of "liberals" is pretty odd.

lonestar_logic believes, obviously, that anyone who to his left is a liberal. Thus, Adolph was a liberal.

Wow...what a sad attempt to divert.

I do not comapre wrihgt to madoff or simpson...all I was doing was showing you how reporters report.

Wright could have been a true war hero...but the story had to do with what he said about America...NOT about Wright himself....it was about his RECENT words of hate......not about his actions years earlier.

And the story became a story when Obama refused to admit he knew of those words.

So where would his past come into play?

It actually has a lot to do with what he said about America. First off - what he said has often been taken out of context - out of the context of his life, of the entire sermon in which it was given and when you add in the context (which until now I did not know) that he was a war veteran - a volunteer - than, yes - his anger at what he sees America doing is understandable because unlike many of us critics - he shed blood for his country. He's earned the right to be angry if he wishes.

This why I used examples of other news figures....simply to show that the past is irrelevant to a story when the story has do do with PRESENT actions.

It does when judging the entirety of a person or a record.

And here is the irony of your logic....

Yet you are saying one should be judged by his actions of the past and Not just his actions of the present

Yes I am saying that - but again, put it into perspective.

Ayers has for what - 30 years now? - been a good citizen. He's not engaged in any crimes, he's evidently shown he does not support violence by his actions that span a considerable length of time. What carries more weight in this case - the past or the present?

Or George Bush - former alcohalic and drug user who has been clean for many years now. What counts more - past or present when evaluating his character? It all counts, but different actions are weighted differently.

Then you have Obama and how "liberal" he is as a legislator. But here, you are only talking of a record spanning 3 years, that hardly carries the weight of judgement that 30 years would - there is not enough time to judge.

Sadly ironic if you ask me.

I don't think so.

And NOW, can someone explain to me how FOX news can call themselves "Fair and Balanced" when the views they choose to broadcast stray so very far from Fair and Balanced."

No one has been able to explain to me why the opinions they choose to broadcast do not reflect the 50% favorable 42% unfavorable that their own polling indicates would be an accurate reflection of public opinion.

Or even if you argue - public opinion be damned - 50-50 is "Fair and Balanced" then how can they miss that mark by such a wide margin and STILL claim fairness and balance.

Don't take mine or anyone else's word for it - do it yourself. Just get a pad of paper and put a tick mark under favorable or unfavorable at every quote, every opinion, every ticker item, that this network choose to broadcast. Then do the math.

Ellis Heinican, Susan Estrich, Chris Wallace, Geraldo Rivera, Alan Colmes, Bernie Sanders, John Edwards, Mark Mellman, Terry McAuliffe, Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sen. Dennis Kucinich, Rep. Charles Rangle, Minister Hashim Nzinga, Geraldine Ferraro, Bob Beckel, Lanny Davis, Joe Lieberman, Tammy Bruce, Pat Caddell, Neal Gabler, Jane Hall, Jeff Cohen, Juan WIlliams, Mara Liason, Morton Kondracke, Rosie O'Donnell, Ed Asner, Steven Baldwin, Alec Baldwin, Matt Damon, Mile Farrell etc. etc. etc.....

I would argue that Fox News has more liberals on than MSNBC or the CNN has Republicans/conservatives probably combined.

Lieberman a liberal?

Tammy Bruce?????? - the one who wrote the book "The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values"?????

Pat Caddell??? If he is a liberal he has a strange way of showing it with his incessant and harsh criticism of Democrats and liberals.

Show me the list of conservative opinions on MSNBC and CNN and we'll compare.

Tammy Bruce is an openly gay, pro-choice, gun owning, pro-death penalty, authentic feminist and a lifelong Democrat. I would not consider her conservative. would you?

Pat Caddell has worked for Democratic presidential candidates George McGovern in 1972, Jimmy Carter in 1976 and 1980, Gary Hart in 1984, Joe Biden in 1988, and Jerry Brown in 1992.

Lieberman voted no on a constitutional ban of same-sex marriage, not a tenet of conservative values I would think.

I believe the poster was referring to regular contributors, not invited guests.

And as far as those are concerned, Chris Wallace and Geraldo Rivera are FAR from "Liberal". LOL, only a far-right loonie is so far to the extreme that they would consider those people to be Liberals.

Lieberman a liberal?

Show me the list of conservative opinions on MSNBC and CNN and we'll compare.

Tammy Bruce is an openly gay, pro-choice, gun owning, pro-death penalty, authentic feminist and a lifelong Democrat. I would not consider her conservative. would you?

Pat Caddell has worked for Democratic presidential candidates George McGovern in 1972, Jimmy Carter in 1976 and 1980, Gary Hart in 1984, Joe Biden in 1988, and Jerry Brown in 1992.

Lieberman voted no on a constitutional ban of same-sex marriage, not a tenet of conservative values I would think.

You are confusing Democrats with Liberals. That's as erroneous as assuming Republicans and Conservatives are the same.

Being gay does not mean you are liberal. Gun owning and pro death penalty are not exactly "liberal". You have strange criteria for being liberal that don't make any sense.

Forum List

Back