Obama finalizes auto mileage mandate

Is it just me, or does anybody else find it odd that the government thinks they can just set some standard for an industry and demand that the industry meet that standard?

54 mpg mandate for vehicles today.

Now, lets apply this same type of government logic mandate to other industry/business.

Restaurants can't serve a meal with more than 900 calories.
Bed linens must have a thread count of 250 or higher.
Cell phones must have a full qwerty keyboard.
Desktop computers must have a 2.8 gig processor or better.
Beer cannot exceed 3.5% alcohol content.
Gasoline must contain 20% or higher ethanol content.

Those are a bunch of ridiculous mandates, yet somehow, some people accept that it is ok for the government to just arbitrarily mandate gas mileage standards for auto manufacturers.

Is it just me, or does anybody else find it odd that the government thinks they can just set some standard for an industry and demand that the industry meet that standard?

Now, lets apply this same type of government logic mandate to other industry/business.

Those are a bunch of ridiculous mandates, yet somehow, some people accept that it is ok for the government to just arbitrarily mandate gas mileage standards for auto manufacturers.

Google 1975 Cafe Standards

Also like to note, most car manufactures are actually for this mandate :)

Missed the point, didn't you?

Missed the point, didn't you?

You ranted about why does the government sets fuel standards, I gave you the key words to look it up as to why.

You ranted about why does the government sets fuel standards, I gave you the key words to look it up as to why.

I didn't know that showing analogies to foolish government mandates was considered a rant.

And now you do, learn something new every day :)

So, aside from just proclaiming my post a rant, what do you think about the government randomly mandating things on business? Do you think a mandate on auto mpg regardless of scientific engineering and regardless of what people want to purchase is a viable and valid thing?

Goverment has a stake in fuel efficiency, and theyve been legislating it for 35 years. They aren't mandating things willy nilly.
Indeed. They are mandating them cautiously and calculated, just a little bit at a time. It's much easier to encroach on personal liberty in baby steps than it is to do so in one fell swoop.

And BMW doesn't make cars that get good gas mileage?
Well there is another thing you don't know what you are talking about. Lol
You might want to check into the new Eco friendly BMW. You might learn a few things.

24 city and 34 highway is only good if you compare it to their regular cars. It isn't even close to the current CAFE standards, never mind the projected ones.

You obviously didn't do that much research. I will give you a clue they have a new BMW that runs on diesel that compares with the gas mileage of a Prius. BMW also has a few other models that can 30 to 40 mpg.

Weird thing is, I was watching Top Gear Uk today and they had an a sedan Audi, you know one with high safety ratings that was averaging 39 miles to the gallon. It ended up going 800 miles on one tank.
Maybe you should watch Top Gear and you will learn a few things about European high gas mileage cars.

I keep posting links, and you keep posting fantasies.

According to the US government BMW's best mileage is 24 mpg combined.

Gas Mileage of 2013 Vehicles by BMW

Most car manufacturers simply pay the penalty for not meeting the CAFE standards and pass the cost on to their customers.

Most car manufacturers simply pay the penalty for not meeting the CAFE standards and pass the cost on to their customers.

*shrug* some of them do, depends on the type of car theyre selling.

24 city and 34 highway is only good if you compare it to their regular cars. It isn't even close to the current CAFE standards, never mind the projected ones.

You obviously didn't do that much research. I will give you a clue they have a new BMW that runs on diesel that compares with the gas mileage of a Prius. BMW also has a few other models that can 30 to 40 mpg.

Weird thing is, I was watching Top Gear Uk today and they had an a sedan Audi, you know one with high safety ratings that was averaging 39 miles to the gallon. It ended up going 800 miles on one tank.
Maybe you should watch Top Gear and you will learn a few things about European high gas mileage cars.

Look up BMW 520d, I will give you a hint turbo diesel and you can't buy them in the US.
Of course BMW isn't going to sell their high gas mileage cars in the US, because they don't have to.

Oh! And here is this... It isn't released yet, but it should be in late 2013. Of course it is sports car and comes with a high price tag... But I thought you said they didn't make high gas mileage cars?

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/2014-bmw-i8-plug-hybrid-will-cost-over-100000-euros-47098.html

The car has been seen testing in near production ready form, and once released, promises a look-at-me elite sports car experience from a balanced and adroit machine along with econocar levels of efficiency of 75 mpg combined, and CO2 emissions of just 99 g/km.

Dude, you really you should look things up before you post something you believe to be true.

Look up BMW 520d, I will give you a hint turbo diesel and you can't buy them in the US.
Of course BMW isn't going to sell their high gas mileage cars in the US, because they don't have to.

You think 26 mpg is good gas mileage? I used to drive a Honda CVCC that got better mileage than that, and I had a heavy foot.

Forum List

Back