Obama finalizes auto mileage mandate

Serious question, are you upset that Obama mandated this? Or about the mandate in general? Because making America energy independent has been a goal of our federal goverment for 30+ years.

About the mandate in general.
30+ years of the DOE trying to make the USA energy independent has resulted in what? Are we less energy independent? When was the last time a new nuclear power plant was built in the USA? When was the last time an easily accessible oil field was opened (think ANWR)?

LOL. Funny ass. The cars of the 50's and 60's were gas hogs and would drive the steering post right through you in a headon. Today's far more efficient and better handling cars are far safer than the lead sleds I grew up with.

In some ways you are right, the roll under engines and other features make them safer, however, by sheer weight, the older cars in a collision with newer cars, the old cars are safer. Even a hundred pounds makes the heavier car better. As they lightened the weight the mileage went up, safety features were added but the laws of physics can't be broken.

Heavy hardly equals safe when the car itself is a danger to you in an accident. A great many people are surviving accidents today with shoulder harnesses and air bags that would have been certainly fatal in a '57 Buick.

You are correct to a point but the size and weight of vehicles have smaller and lighter. However all things being even, a heavier SUV will have a higher survival rate than the mini Cooper in a head on collision.

Serious question, are you upset that Obama mandated this? Or about the mandate in general? Because making America energy independent has been a goal of our federal goverment for 30+ years.

30+ years of the DOE trying to make the USA energy independent has resulted in what? Are we less energy independent? When was the last time a new nuclear power plant was built in the USA? When was the last time an easily accessible oil field was opened (think ANWR)?

We are far more energy independent today then in the last 30 years. I don't see an oil embargo like in the 70's happening again. I think today's issue is good energy vs bad. You can call for more oil fields(although the last 10 years has been a massive boost in new oil fields) however there are plenty of Americans who disagree with drilling and its environmental effects. I don't really feel like debating the topic, mostly because I think we would end up on the same side and there wouldnt be much debate at all :) besides ... I think that's a bit too much off topic.

We are far more energy independent today then in the last 30 years.
I don't see an oil embargo like in the 70's happening again. I think today's issue is good energy vs bad. You can call for more oil fields(although the last 10 years has been a massive boost in new oil fields) however there are plenty of Americans who disagree with drilling and its environmental effects. I don't really feel like debating the topic, mostly because I think we would end up on the same side and there wouldnt be much debate at all :) besides ... I think that's a bit too much off topic.

Really?
I find that hard to believe since US oil production peaked in the 1970's, perhaps you can provide a link (but I doubt it).
Mandating fuel efficiency in automobiles is almost as ridiculous as mandating reduced calories in restaurant food. Let the free market decide what it wants.

I don't see an oil embargo like in the 70's happening again. I think today's issue is good energy vs bad. You can call for more oil fields(although the last 10 years has been a massive boost in new oil fields) however there are plenty of Americans who disagree with drilling and its environmental effects. I don't really feel like debating the topic, mostly because I think we would end up on the same side and there wouldnt be much debate at all :) besides ... I think that's a bit too much off topic.

Really?
I find that hard to believe since US oil production peaked in the 1970's, perhaps you can provide a link (but I doubt it).
Mandating fuel efficiency in automobiles is almost as ridiculous as mandating reduced calories in restaurant food. Let the free market decide what it wants.

Energy independence is about more than just oil.No, we don't surpass the oil boom of previous years but we do produce more oil today than we have in 14 years.

Big mystery: U.S. oil production hits 14-year high, gas prices not at 14-year low | Grist

Yes, mandating fuel efficiency is a way the goverment regulates national oil consumption, and it works. But that's not the only reason, it's also an environmental issue.

However, I get that you think setting car standards is stupid. I don't think anything I could type would sway you, *shrug* I think we might as well agree to disagree.

Really?

Energy independence is about more than just oil.No, we don't surpass the oil boom of previous years but we do produce more oil today than we have in 14 years.

Big mystery: U.S. oil production hits 14-year high, gas prices not at 14-year low | Grist

Yes, mandating fuel efficiency is a way the goverment regulates national oil consumption, and it works. But that's not the only reason, it's also an environmental issue.

However, I get that you think setting car standards is stupid. I don't think anything I could type would sway you, *shrug* I think we might as well agree to disagree.

Yeah, I also don't think it is the governments responsibility to mandate how many calories are in a soda either.
We've already established that you think it's ok for government to set mileage standards for vehicles you may purchase.
Where is your limit on government intrusion?

We already have an SUV that gets 47/47.

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid Overview

For 2014 they are talking of it being a plugin with an ev range of 20 mi. That would probably pass the 54.5 mpg mandate easily. Use a bigger battery, or one with a higher energy density, and get that ev range to 40 miles, and you will be way over the 54.5 mandate, in an SUV, yet.

That mandate is completely doable, and, in fact, very easy to exceed.

doable...:lol:you don't give a crap if its doable and neither does the gasbag in the WH, so please save that.

CAFE standards was one of the several reasons GM et al suffered a meltdown and will suffer further.

we have a SELF inflicted energy shortage driven by the new religion that keeps prices high and a belief in some wonder technology that is decades off that will miraculously put us in a vehicle we want to drive and satisfy the likes of you. never happen. a) you and the likes of you will NEVER EVER be satisfied, b) see a. c) and if it is not marketable you don't give a crap either, you'll pay people to drive them using tax payer money.

Forum List

Back