Obama Falsely Claims There Are 47 Million Uninsured Americans

For Christ's sake, I've been posting this for a couple weeks now

How many uninsured people need additional help from taxpayers?*|*KeithHennessey.com

$uninsuredsubpopulations-thumb.jpg
* There were 45.7 million uninsured people in the U.S. in 2007.

* Of that amount, 6.4 million are the Medicaid undercount. These are people who are on one of two government health insurance programs, Medicaid or S-CHIP, but mistakenly (intentionally or not) tell the Census taker that they are uninsured. There is disagreement about the size of the Medicaid undercount. This figure is based on a 2005 analysis from the Department of Health and Human Services.

* Another 4.3 million are eligible for free or heavily subsidized government health insurance (again, either Medcaid or SCHIP), but have not yet signed up. While these people are not pre-enrolled in a health insurance program and are therefore counted as uninsured, if they were to go to an emergency room (or a free clinic), they would be automatically enrolled in that program by the provider after receiving medical care. There’s an interesting philosophical question that I will skip about whether they are, in fact, uninsured, if technically they are protected from risk.

* Another 9.3 million are non-citizens. I cannot break that down into documented vs. undocumented citizens.

* Another 10.1 million do not fit into any of the above categories, and they have incomes more than 3X the poverty level. For a single person that means their income exceeded $30,600 in 2007, when the median income for a single male was $33,200 and for a female, $21,000. For a family of four, if your income was more than 3X the poverty level in 2007, you had $62,000 of income or more, and you were above the national median.

* Of the remaining 15.6 million uninsured, 5 million are adults between ages 18 and 34 and without kids.

* The remaining 10.6 million do not fit into any of the above categories, so they are:
o U.S. citizens;
o with income below 300% of poverty;
o not on or eligible for a taxpayer-subsidized health insurance program;
o and not a childless adult between age 18 and 34.

So yes as usual, government numbers are wrong. Only about 3% of the population is actually uninsured.

Last edited:
I said CREDIBLE...

keith hennessy? who cares?

The rightwingnuts have been lying about this for a while.

Actually ... I hear it on a clip run almost every day, all day, from one of his speeches which is used to advertise a "low cost" health insurance, the network is called "This", it's a KOMO network. So yes, he did say it.

I said CREDIBLE...

Jillian, I've not a clue to who Hennessy is, but I did note the source of the data: Census and HHS.

I said CREDIBLE...

Jillian, I've not a clue to who Hennessy is

Exactly... now why would you trust that he's accurately representing anything?

regardless of what he says source is?

Bloggers aren't evidence...

The anti-choice folks swear they use data too....

someday maybe they'll represent data truthfully.

Last edited:
I said CREDIBLE...

Jillian, I've not a clue to who Hennessy is

Exactly... now why would you trust that he's accurately representing anything?

regardless of what he says source is?

Bloggers aren't evidence...

The anti-choice folks swear they use data too....

someday maybe they'll represent data truthfully.

Jillian, you're melting down. Not hard to check the facts, doesn't matter if 'blog' or the disreputable NYT. Looks at Rathergate and tell me again how 'trustyworthy' the MSM is.

I said CREDIBLE...

taken from census data which of course must be biased right?

If it's wrong, counselor, present your own data refuting the census numbers rather than just blindly swallowing the government line

Last edited:
Jillian, you're melting down. Not hard to check the facts, doesn't matter if 'blog' or the disreputable NYT. Looks at Rathergate and tell me again how 'trustyworthy' the MSM is.

melting down?

come now, kath... you're the one who's been in meltdown since obama was nominated by the dems. you just got worse after he was elected.

rathergate?

that's just sad...

nah... make that pathetic.

How many uninsured people need additional help from taxpayers?*|*KeithHennessey.com

View attachment 7780

* Of that amount, 6.4 million are the Medicaid undercount. These are people who are on one of two government health insurance programs, Medicaid or S-CHIP, but mistakenly (intentionally or not) tell the Census taker that they are uninsured. There is disagreement about the size of the Medicaid undercount. This figure is based on a 2005 analysis from the Department of Health and Human Services.

* Another 4.3 million are eligible for free or heavily subsidized government health insurance (again, either Medcaid or SCHIP), but have not yet signed up. While these people are not pre-enrolled in a health insurance program and are therefore counted as uninsured, if they were to go to an emergency room (or a free clinic), they would be automatically enrolled in that program by the provider after receiving medical care. There’s an interesting philosophical question that I will skip about whether they are, in fact, uninsured, if technically they are protected from risk.

* Another 9.3 million are non-citizens. I cannot break that down into documented vs. undocumented citizens.

* Another 10.1 million do not fit into any of the above categories, and they have incomes more than 3X the poverty level. For a single person that means their income exceeded $30,600 in 2007, when the median income for a single male was $33,200 and for a female, $21,000. For a family of four, if your income was more than 3X the poverty level in 2007, you had $62,000 of income or more, and you were above the national median.

* Of the remaining 15.6 million uninsured, 5 million are adults between ages 18 and 34 and without kids.

* The remaining 10.6 million do not fit into any of the above categories, so they are:
o U.S. citizens;

So yes as usual, government numbers are wrong. Only about 3% of the population is actually uninsured.

Exactly,hell,there are millions of 18-29 year olds that are as healthy as a horse;damn near smart as one; that does not have insurance yet pay much more each month for internet service to bitch and whine about not having it.

View attachment 7780

o U.S. citizens;

Exactly,hell,there are millions of 18-29 year olds that are as healthy as a horse;damn near smart as one; that does not have insurance yet pay much more each month for internet service to bitch and whine about not having it.

exactly right

tell me how many of these so called 47 million uninsured have i phones? or 500 dollar a month car payments or 2500 dollar a month mortgages and get back to me.

View attachment 7780

exactly right

tell me how many of these so called 47 million uninsured have i phones? or 500 dollar a month car payments or 2500 dollar a month mortgages and get back to me.

It irritates the hell out of me, I was in the auto business for about 10 years before I got back into insurance and I bet I met literally hundreds of people who would come in to buy a new SUV ,Truck,car,etc. that couldn't,their credit was shot because of a hospital bill,yet could have gotten insurance to have not had to suffer through that. Personal responsibility seems like such a foreign thing to many, I guess you can lead a jackass to water but ya can't make th sonofabitch drink,lol.:cuckoo:

I call it lying.......:eusa_liar:

If that is all you have in rebuttal to all the things he said last night, healthcare insurance companies are in big trouble. :lol:

Lets disect his speech and debate each thing he said one at a time and you are toast.

I call it lying.......:eusa_liar:

If that is all you have in rebuttal to all the things he said last night, healthcare insurance companies are in big trouble. :lol:

Lets disect his speech and debate each thing he said one at a time and you are toast.

read the links I've posted and then tally a list of all the lies in those links and then supply links of your own that refute the data in my links and that prove your point.

Can you do that BooBoo instead of spouting your usual partisan pap?

And here is something to think about.

Dynamist Blog: Medicare First!

"Nearly 30 percent of Medicare’s costs could be saved without adverse health consequences."

The report also suggests that we know what the problems are, listing the usual suspects:

We spend a substantial amount on high cost, low-value treatments.

Patients obtain too little of certain types of care that are effective and of high value.

Patients frequently do not receive care in the most cost-effective setting.

There is extensive variation in the quality of care provided to patients.

There are many preventable medical errors that lead to worse outcomes and higher costs.

Our system is complex and we have high administrative costs.

Think about this for a moment. Medicare is a huge, single-payer, government-run program. It ought to provide the perfect environment for experimentation. If more-efficient government management can slash health-care costs by addressing all these problems, why not start with Medicare? Let's see what "better management" looks like applied to Medicare before we roll it out to the rest of the country.

So why not start with Medicare. Prove the government can fix that mess first.

And here is something to think about.

Dynamist Blog: Medicare First!

"Nearly 30 percent of Medicare’s costs could be saved without adverse health consequences."

The report also suggests that we know what the problems are, listing the usual suspects:

We spend a substantial amount on high cost, low-value treatments.

Patients obtain too little of certain types of care that are effective and of high value.

Patients frequently do not receive care in the most cost-effective setting.

There is extensive variation in the quality of care provided to patients.

There are many preventable medical errors that lead to worse outcomes and higher costs.

Our system is complex and we have high administrative costs.

Think about this for a moment. Medicare is a huge, single-payer, government-run program. It ought to provide the perfect environment for experimentation. If more-efficient government management can slash health-care costs by addressing all these problems, why not start with Medicare? Let's see what "better management" looks like applied to Medicare before we roll it out to the rest of the country.

So why not start with Medicare. Prove the government can fix that mess first.

Yep and I read that 1 in 6 healthcare dollars are spent in Medicade.

Forum List

Back