Obama "evolves" on vouchers

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Thursday night he says this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaCTuFplVQc]Obama: I will never put seniors on vouchers - YouTube[/ame]

Friday morning he announces a pilot program to issue Medicare vouchers.

In his convention speech in Charlotte, President Obama vowed to block the Republican Medicare reform plan because “no American should ever have to spend their golden years at the mercy of insurance companies.”
But back in Washington, his Health and Human Services Department is launching a pilot program that would shift up to 2 million of the poorest and most-vulnerable seniors out of the federal Medicare program and into private health insurance plans overseen by the states.
The administration has accepted applications from 18 states to participate in the program, which would give states money to purchase managed-care plans for people who are either disabled or poor enough to qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid. HHS approved the first state plan, one for Massachusetts, last month.

Obama More Flexible on Medicare Than Rhetoric Suggests - NationalJournal.com

Gotta love the way he sticks to his guns.

I predict this thread will quietly drop off of USMB, with many people seeing it but adding little to no comment. :lol:

Obama: I will never put seniors on vouchers - YouTube

In his convention speech in Charlotte, President Obama vowed to block the Republican Medicare reform plan because “no American should ever have to spend their golden years at the mercy of insurance companies.”
But back in Washington, his Health and Human Services Department is launching a pilot program that would shift up to 2 million of the poorest and most-vulnerable seniors out of the federal Medicare program and into private health insurance plans overseen by the states.
The administration has accepted applications from 18 states to participate in the program, which would give states money to purchase managed-care plans for people who are either disabled or poor enough to qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid. HHS approved the first state plan, one for Massachusetts, last month.

wow, hes putting them at the mercy of the evil insurance companies?

doesn't ryans plan make this optional?

why is obama screwing over seniors?:eusa_eh:and the POOREST seniors?

:rolleyes: :lol:

Your link doesn't say anything about vouchers.

That is the most absurd thing I have ever read in my life.

I think...
ShortBus.jpg

this must be Obama's underhanded pissed-off way of giving the finger to the many states that refuse to adopt Obamacare....

That is the most absurd thing I have ever read in my life.

No biggie, he has always had trouble understanding what he reads.

Obamacare is a Republican idea. So, I'd say you were correct on that one. Congratulations.

Bullshit.
Republicans determined, in a hypothetical setting that a viable funding mechanism of such a plan would be a mandate. PERIOD!
And from that you all twisted things into a "Republican plan" or a "Republican mandate" on the first day of USSC proceedings on the constitutionality of the mandate after it became clear that the court was taking issue.
Not once before that point was there ever any talk about "Republican" plans or mandates and since the court's ruling, you're something of a dinosaur in bringing it up after the usefulness of the claim has been rendered moot.

If you like your doctor, you can keep her — unless you’re poor or disabled.

The latest installment of ObamaCare is a scheme that’s uprooting the elderly poor and disabled who get care under Medicare and herding many into state-run Medicaid plans.

All of these folks are dually eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid; they are low-income people who are elderly or have disabilities. But it’s hard to see how they’ll be better off in bare-bones, and sometimes poorly-run state Medicaid plans than by getting access to Medicare options they were entitled to before ObamaCare.

...the real goal seems to be propping up state Medicaid programs.

Medicaid, after all, is essential to the underpinnings of ObamaCare. Up to 20 million of the “newly insured” under Obamacare are being put into the Medicaid program, and Medicaid plans will form the scaffold for the insurance offered in the ObamaCare exchanges.

The Medicare actuary now estimates that ObamaCare will raise the number of people on Medicaid 40 percent by 2016 — to more than 80 million Americans. That new estimate shows a 50 percent greater rise in Medicaid enrollment than what the Congressional Budget Office projected when President Obama signed the bill two years ago.

Yet Medicaid is a broken program. It pays providers at such low rates than many patients can’t get access to timely care. The “duals” gambit looks like an effort to shore up Medicaid by subsidizing it with Medicare dollars.

Read more: Health law guts medicare—Scott Gottlieb - NYPOST.com

wow, hes putting them at the mercy of the evil insurance companies?

doesn't ryans plan make this optional?

why is obama screwing over seniors?:eusa_eh:and the POOREST seniors?

:rolleyes: :lol:

why yes... yes it does.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2AMOgKM6qo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2AMOgKM6qo[/ame]

Forum List

Back