Obama Endorses Global Taxes on Eve of U.N. Summit

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
In a classic case of misdirection, while the media are preoccupied with the fate of the Bush tax cuts, President Obama is preparing to attend a United Nations summit next week to endorse “innovative finance mechanisms”—global taxes—to drain even more wealth out of the U.S. economy.

A draft “outcome document” produced in advance of the September 20-22 U.N. Summit on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) commits the nations of the world to supporting “innovative financing mechanisms” to supplement foreign aid spending.

The term “innovative financing mechanisms” is a U.N. euphemism for global taxes. But the document actually goes further, praising the “Task Force on International Financial Transactions for Development” for its work on the subject of mobilizing additional “resources” for countries to achieve the MDGs. This is a body tasked with proposing and implementing global tax schemes.

“We consider,” the document says, “that innovative financing mechanisms can make a positive contribution in assisting developing countries to mobilize additional resources for financing for development on a voluntary basis. Such financing should supplement and not be a substitute for traditional sources of financing.”

In other words, the revenue from global taxes should be in addition to foreign aid spending.

Obama has been a major U.N. supporter since he was in the Senate and sponsored a bill, the Global Poverty Act (S 2433), to force U.S. compliance with the MDGs.

Obama Endorses Global Taxes on Eve of U.N. Summit

Replace foreign aid, yes. Added on top of said aid? Not no, hell no!

Fuck that. If we choose to give aid cool. No way I am supporting a tax on us to give to other nations. Ill take violent action against my government before I stand for that. :)

Unless the UN hides it in other funding proposals I doubt seriously it would get past our legislative bodies so in my estimation it's a moot point.

Fuck that. If we choose to give aid cool. No way I am supporting a tax on us to give to other nations. Ill take violent action against my government before I stand for that. :)

Unless the UN hides it in other funding proposals I doubt seriously it would get past our legislative bodies so in my estimation it's a moot point.

I seriously doubted they would be able to pass the massive "healthcare" bill that no one wanted. I was way off.

would seem that way. Still the idea that they would be for this really pisses me off.

Zoom-boing, this is so outlandish I have to ask: is it possible the discussion is about banking and lending, rather than "global taxes"?

Not according to the article. Uh, the bank/lending rather than taxes part, not the outlandish part. It is quite outlandish!

We should have had a "heads up" when he was campaigning overseas before his presidential election.

Lets see here:
Cap and Trade
Kyoto Agreement
UN Summit
Healthcare Reform

They all look like redistribution of wealth to me. Am I wrong?
This is what the messiah is all about.

Nice going OBAMA & COMPANY!!

You gave the wealthy in America BILLIONS at the expense of the average citizen, Screwed up this economy for the little guy and gal for decades to come, and now you want another plan to bankrupt the entire planet's hard working people who MADE YOU ALL RICH.

WTF?
Anyone see a problem with this guy and his agenda pushing pals?

I'm highly skeptical of documents such as this, especially when it involves the concept of UN taxes. I'm not saying its wrong, but I am saying it is likely the writer is highly partisan and pushing an ideological agenda, and thus distorting the news to illicit a response. For example, it says this

The proposal, popular at the United Nations for decades and long-advocated by Fidel Castro, is called the Tobin Tax and named after Yale University economist James Tobin. Steven Solomon, a former staff reporter at Forbes, said in his book, The Confidence Game, that such a proposal “might net some $13 trillion a year…” because it is based on taking a percentage of money from the trillions of dollars exchanged daily in global financial markets.

The Tobin Tax is a concept supported by a wide range of people for a variety of reasons. However, the writer chose to cite one single person who supports this tax, Fidel Castro. Clearly, he did that because he's trying to scare people by referring to a Communist henchman and enemy of America, as opposed to, say, Gordon Brown, former Prime Minister of Britain, who also supported this idea. Its a lot easier to scare the right-wing into action by invoking the name of Fidel Castro than it is Gordon Brown.

For the record, the Tobin Tax will almost certainly never come into existence because it would require the coordination of all the major countries in the world. If just one or two countries declined, it couldn't work. Oh, and the Tobin Tax is a terrible idea.

I also liked the reference to the $13 trillion in taxes, which is another scare tactic. The GDP of the US is over $14 trillion and represents about 30% of global GDP. Do you honestly believe that by taxing all financial transactions we could raise nearly a third of global GDP that would then be transferred elsewhere? Be serious.

I don't know if Obama supports this or not, but this article seems highly politically biased and appears to be playing to the gullible, so we should be skeptical of it.

Last edited:
We should have had a "heads up" when he was campaigning overseas before his presidential election.

Lets see here:
Cap and Trade
Kyoto Agreement
UN Summit
Healthcare Reform

They all look like redistribution of wealth to me. Am I wrong?
This is what the messiah is all about.

This has to do with Obama's fight with the Colonialists...those that are perceived to have robbed others to gain power over the centuries... Unfortunately? He sees the United States in that role...and is doing everything he can to destroy what he sees as bad...this Nation for starters.

You brought up 'Dreams From My Father'...this is precisely what his father was doing. What his mother was doing. Both his mom and dad abandoned him as a young person to do these very things.

It is my notion that he is picking up where they left off...and as POTUS? He thinks he has the power to do these things. Messiah indeed. He's on a personal vendetta IMHO.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back