Obama dramatically increases warrantless wiretaps

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Gotta love the way a constitutional lecturer ignores the constitution.

email_and_internet_authorizations_padded_500x280_0.jpg

original_orders.jpg

people_affected.jpg

New Justice Department Documents Show Huge Increase in Warrantless Electronic Surveillance

What happened? When it was George Bush doing it, why... everyone thought it was just hunky dory!

What happened? When it was George Bush doing it, why... everyone thought it was just hunky dory!

You never saw me saying that. I'v raised hell with my congressman and senators every time this crap comes up for reauthorization. BTW I did the same when the inital bill was first proposed. I agree with the guy (I think it was Franklin) that said, some one that is willing to give up liberty for security, deserves neither.

You never saw me saying that. I'v raised hell with my congressman and senators every time this crap comes up for reauthorization. BTW I did the same when the inital bill was first proposed. I agree with the guy (I think it was Franklin) that said, some one that is willing to give up liberty for security, deserves neither.

So did I and I remember telling my RWNJ friends that though they trusted Bush with that kind of power, he wouldn't be President forever and they might NOT trust the next guy.

So, here we are, right where I said we'd be.

But, of course, warrantless wiretaps isn't really the issue now. It's just another excuse to yell, "OMG! OBAMA!" and run around in a panic.

Last edited:

So did I and I remember telling my RWNJ friends that though they trusted Bush with that kind of power, he wouldn't be President forever and they might NOT trust the next guy.

So, here we are, right where I said we'd be.

But, of course, warrantless wiretaps isn't really the issue now. It's just another excuse to yell, "OMG! OBAMA!" and run around in a panic.

I don't blame him for this, I blame congress, there's more than enough other things to beat Maobama up other than this. Like violating his oath by refusing to enforce our laws.

We saw this with the Reagan War on Drugs.

(This is where you have to teach Republicans history)

By the late 70s many of America's cities had growing crime and "ghettos". This was partly due to the increased loss of postwar manufacturing to China along with a failure of the political economy to assimilate African Americans into the economy. As a result there was growing social unrest.

And there was another problem. Reagan was planning on unwinding the welfare state, which would push more people on to the streets. This would add to the social unrest and put added pressure on law enforcement. Reagan needed a tool to protect the property of the elite minority from the burgeoning ranks of impoverished souls with no hope. This is a very standard historical model. Every time you defund the majority in favor of wealthy special interests, you need to beef up law enforcement to protect yourself.

In order to stabilize the country in the face of growing despair, Reagan created the War on Drugs so he could give Washington centralized control over the states, which would allow Reagan's brownshirts to control how the states managed their law enforcement. AGAIN: The drug war allowed Reagan to build a MASSIVE federal bureaucracy over the states. It allowed him to grow the power of government much like Bush would with Homeland Security. Like most bureaucracies, Reagan's federal drug agencies eventually became self-perpetuating, dysfunctional, money-sucking nightmares lorded over by incompetent bureaucrats. The war on drugs was an abysmal failure. Big Government made things worse. The end result was that Washington used the war on drugs to build a massive surveillance mechanism.

And what did Clinton do? He kept Reagan's wasteful, incompetent bureaucracy in place. Much like Obama would with the War on Terror and Homeland Security.

Republicans always make government bigger. And Democrats are always too timid to stop them.

Last edited:
You see? This is what cheering for a certain Political party will do to you: Blind you to the truth.

Both Bush AND Obama are criminals yet Americans cheer like it's a Baseball game.

We saw this with the Reagan War on Drugs.

(This is where you have to teach Republicans history)

By the late 70s many of America's cities had growing crime and "ghettos". This was partly due to the increased loss of postwar manufacturing to China along with a failure of the political economy to assimilate African Americans into the economy. As a result there was growing social unrest.

And there was another problem. Reagan was planning on unwinding the welfare state, which would push more people on to the streets. This would add to the social unrest and put added pressure on law enforcement. Reagan needed a tool to protect the property of the elite minority from the burgeoning ranks of impoverished souls with no hope. This is a very standard historical model. Every time you defund the majority in favor of wealthy special interests, you need to beef up law enforcement to protect yourself.

In order to stabilize the country in the face of growing despair, Reagan created the War on Drugs so he could give Washington centralized control over the states, which would allow Reagan's brownshirts to control how the states managed their law enforcement. AGAIN: The drug war allowed Reagan to build a MASSIVE federal bureaucracy over the states. It allowed him to grow the power of government much like Bush would with Homeland Security. Like most bureaucracies, Reagan's federal drug agencies eventually became self-perpetuating, dysfunctional, money-sucking nightmares lorded over by incompetent bureaucrats. The war on drugs was an abysmal failure. Big Government made things worse. The end result was that Washington used the war on drugs to build a massive surveillance mechanism.

And what did Clinton do? He kept Reagan's wasteful, incompetent bureaucracy in place. Much like Obama would with the War on Terror and Homeland Security.

Republicans always make government bigger. And Democrats are always too timid to stop them.

I love it when people "lecture" about history and get the facts wrong. Reagan did not create the war on drugs. The war on drugs began in 1914. The term was actually coined during the Nixon administration when he declared that drug abuse was a national security issue and declared a war on drug abusers. By the end of his term the press had started to call it a war on drugs. Although Reagan was alive at the time he was only 3 years old when the war on drugs stated, only a complete idiot would try to blame him for what happened when he was 3.

Forum List

Back