Obama DID NOT save GM, the bankruptcy judge did.

Anyone who believes otherwise is easily fooled in my opinion.

Had the bailout that both Bush and Obama were for worked, the company wouldn't have gone bankrupt anyway. All Obama ultimately did was steal wealth from the bond holders and line the pockets of the unions with it. The company itself remained in the red until the bankruptcy judge allowed certain debts to be dumped and restructured the remaining debts.

Bankruptcy saved GM. Obama saved union votes and wasted our tax dollars.

Where was the private equity going to come from?

Reallocation of debt through bankruptcy. Any funds needed beyond that should have come from outside sources, not my tax revenue. I don't pay taxes so our govt can choose who wins and who loses. Success or failure is supposed to be based on the merits of your own choices not the govts.

And those that say only Obama saved the jobs, NONSENSE. Obama picked and chose who got to keep q job and who didn't. Ie: dealers, their sales staff, their secretaries, their mechanics, and on down the line all lost jobs but the union didn't. That is not how the free market is supposed to work.

The company simply would have reorganized under chapter 11. Some would win, some would lose. That's how real, fair business is conducted.
what youre failing to acknowledge in this case is that no bank would lend to GM due to the financial crisis. the company was willing to purchase GM due to the lack of an ability to secure a loan and lastly, if GM had failed and been dismantled, 1-1.4 million people would have lost their jobs. would you have been ok if unemployment spike by another million people? would you have blamed Obama for not stepping in at that point in time?

And the rich do not create jobs the consumers buying stuff does.

A reasonable point.

So when does the bag lady open that mom and pop whatever?

A very reasonable point. Some forget that CONSUMER SPENDING is what drives the economy. When their confidence is up they spend money. That in turn creates the demand that allow those "mom and pop" places to not only open, but thrive.

Reallocation of debt through bankruptcy. Any funds needed beyond that should have come from outside sources, not my tax revenue. I don't pay taxes so our govt can choose who wins and who loses. Success or failure is supposed to be based on the merits of your own choices not the govts.

And those that say only Obama saved the jobs, NONSENSE. Obama picked and chose who got to keep q job and who didn't. Ie: dealers, their sales staff, their secretaries, their mechanics, and on down the line all lost jobs but the union didn't. That is not how the free market is supposed to work.

The company simply would have reorganized under chapter 11. Some would win, some would lose. That's how real, fair business is conducted.
what youre failing to acknowledge in this case is that no bank would lend to GM due to the financial crisis. the company was willing to purchase GM due to the lack of an ability to secure a loan and lastly, if GM had failed and been dismantled, 1-1.4 million people would have lost their jobs. would you have been ok if unemployment spike by another million people? would you have blamed Obama for not stepping in at that point in time?

Why do you keep claiming people wouldv'e lost there jobs? Do you honestly believe that no one would have bought GM? Or that other Auto manufacturers wouldn't have filled the void? Even if they lost there jobs with GM others would have hire them as they are skilled labor.

Yes, they would.

If Obama cut everyone's taxes to 10%, brought all our troops home, achieved world peace, wiped out the deficit and balanced the budget these whiny fuckers would still bitch about him.

go back and do the research. no one was willing to purchase GM at the time. this is actually what led to government intervention. GM wouldve had to have been liquidate, thus all the jobs in the supply chain would have been lost.

what other companies were hiring automotive works at the time GM was failing? Ford wast, Chrysler wasnt, BMW wasnt, Kia wasnt........

Why do you keep claiming people wouldv'e lost there jobs? Do you honestly believe that no one would have bought GM? Or that other Auto manufacturers wouldn't have filled the void? Even if they lost there jobs with GM others would have hire them as they are skilled labor.

1) They WOULD have lost their jobs

2) I doubt anyone could have bought GM (there's no incentive for other car makers to do so)

3) Given the economy they would have been hard pressed to find decent jobs anywhere

Why is it so hard to admit that the bailout worked and be happy that millions of jobs were NOT lost and GM is back much stronger than before? Even the wingnuts should be happy that the union members were forced into concessions.

It would help if you two knew what you were talking about.

Gov't bailout turns tables for auto union

From your article..

But things got more complex when the government bailed out General Motors and Chrysler two years ago in a deal that left the union with big chunks of stock in both companies.

By what right did the government take the stock from the investors who had paid for it and give it to the union? And how is it not a conflict of interest for the union?

Never said it was right or wrong. Only that the union did not make out like bandits and actually took concessions.

If the damn union had taken their 'concessions' years ago when they should have, GM would have never been in the position they were in the first place. The unions caused the mess to begin with and in the end, ended up with ownership of the company. What a fucked up world we live in whenever people defend that. :cuckoo:

From your article..

By what right did the government take the stock from the investors who had paid for it and give it to the union? And how is it not a conflict of interest for the union?

Never said it was right or wrong. Only that the union did not make out like bandits and actually took concessions.

If the damn union had taken their 'concessions' years ago when they should have, GM would have never been in the position they were in the first place. The unions caused the mess to begin with and in the end, ended up with ownership of the company. What a fucked up world we live in whenever people defend that. :cuckoo:

Wrong. There were a lot of factors. This "blame the blue collar worker" bullshit is getting old.

From your article..

whos fault is that? is that the unions fault for winning the negotiation? or is the GM's fault for not negotiating better?

Wrong. There were a lot of factors. This "blame the blue collar worker" bullshit is getting old.

There is absolutely nothing 'blue collar' about the men heading that union, who only kept from throwing their members under the bus because of the 'deal' Obama made while robbing the investors. All because they paid to get him into a position where he could do exactly that. Pay back. Not to mention that most of those blue collar workers were making better money than a good percentage of 'white collar' workers, and some while sitting around doing nothing but collecting paychecks for sitting on their asses all day.

whos fault is that? is that the unions fault for winning the negotiation? or is the GM's fault for not negotiating better?

I know it certainly wasn't the shareholders, who were the ones that got screwed in the end.

Anyone who believes otherwise is easily fooled in my opinion.

Had the bailout that both Bush and Obama were for worked, the company wouldn't have gone bankrupt anyway. All Obama ultimately did was steal wealth from the bond holders and line the pockets of the unions with it. The company itself remained in the red until the bankruptcy judge allowed certain debts to be dumped and restructured the remaining debts.

Bankruptcy saved GM. Obama saved union votes and wasted our tax dollars.

No, the company had no access to private equity. In case you were sleeping at the time, there was a liquidity crisis so deep that virtually no one had access to private equity.

Why do you keep claiming people wouldv'e lost there jobs? Do you honestly believe that no one would have bought GM? .

Oh my!

Who was going to buy GM's production lines and keep them open? Hint: If anyone was interested in buying GM, someone would have made an offer on GM.

@ Newby - agreed, it wasnt the shareholders. they did infact get the short end of the stick. but that is what happens when a company goes bankrupt.

who should really get the blame is GM for having an unsustainable business model. Had GM in fact had a better management staff, (such as when Ford secured a huge loan prior to the financial collapse) maybe in fact they would not have needed public assistance. be that as it may, this doesnt change the fact the blaming the union for having better negotiators than GM is silly.

Last edited:

I know it certainly wasn't the shareholders, who were the ones that got screwed in the end.

The shareholders got screwed? Please explain to me what the owners of a company should receive when that company collapses. Should the government subsidize the owners just for kicks, or perhaps to mitigate the risk of investing?

@ Newby - agreed, it wasnt the shareholders. they did infact get the short end of the stick. but that is what happens when a company goes bankrupt.who should really get the blame is GM for having an unsustainable business model. Had GM in fact had a better management staff, (such as when Ford secured a huge loan prior to the financial collapse) maybe in fact they would not have needed public assistance. be that as it may, this doesnt change the fact the blaming the union for having better negotiators than GM is silly.

No, it isn't. The shareholders are typically at the beginning of the line when liquidation occurs, they were replaced by the union.

The shareholders got screwed? Please explain to me what the owners of a company should receive when that company collapses. Should the government subsidize the owners just for kicks, or perhaps to mitigate the risk of investing?

Go back earlier in the thread where this was explained pretty clearly. Can you explain to me how the union ended up with ownership of the company since it was obviosly 'collapsing'?

Go back earlier in the thread where this was explained pretty clearly. Can you explain to me how the union ended up with ownership of the company since it was obviosly 'collapsing'?
the union got shares as part of their concessions. which also included paying more for their pensions and benefits. the reason the union got shares was to provide incentives for the future to bargain for what is in the best interest of the company. this if the union makes a deal in which GM stock rises, they union as a whole benefits. if they make a deal that hurts the company, it hurts the union as well. this ties their fate and cooperation together.

Here's how the union is 'protecting' their workers...

» Government Motors Increases Profits, Freezes Salaries - Big Government

Remember when Michael Moore staked out Roger Moore of General Motors in Roger and Me, claiming that GM’s brutal capitalism earned the company profits while it mistreated workers? Well, where’s Moore when you need him?

Yesterday, the largely Treasury Department-owned GM (32%) announced that it would freeze the pay of all 26,000 of its US employees, and would dump its pension contributions, as well as slashing bonuses. This even as it announced that it had posted an $8 billion profit in 2011.

So what’s happening with GM? It seems that the government has recognized that companies cannot run indefinitely while granting enormous pension benefits. GM still suffers from massive pension underfunding – they’re short some $8.7 billion – and so they need to cut costs. They’re doing that by tamping down their employees and by – yes, you read this right – outsourcing.

So where’s the left in all of this? They’re silent, because they want the government takeover to be seen as a success, even if it hurts the workers they supposedly prize.

Why do you keep claiming people wouldv'e lost there jobs? Do you honestly believe that no one would have bought GM? .

Oh my!

Who was going to buy GM's production lines and keep them open? Hint: If anyone was interested in buying GM, someone would have made an offer on GM.

Why? When it it really in danger of going belly up?

Forum List

Back