obama delivers

those who voted for obama, are you still happy with your vote?

• yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Yes, I am still happy. As happy as I can be considering I had to choose between a Democrat and a Republican - neither of which are appealing choices. But I'd vote for almost anyone before I voted for a conservative. Conservatism doesn't encompass my values - it threatens that which I value. So, in other words, I'm happy that I don't have a bumbling moron like Bush, an VP who shoots people in the face and treats his lesbian daughter as though she's sick, an idiot like Rumsfeld starting wars, and I'm especially happy that Sarah Palin isn't in power.

Which conservative values threaten you?

From my perspective, Conservatives want the following:

Unrestricted access to natural resources no matter the legal designation of the land i.e. drilling ANWR and possible leasing of national park and official wilderness areas.

Policies for big business (ignoring small businesses).

Unregulated business (which was a contributing factor for the current economy; and typically is detrimental to the natural environment i.e. pollution).

Official Christian ascendency. Christian values as laws when I'm not Christian.

Abortion made illegal.

Policies that generally don't take the environment into consideration.

More authority for police (potentially creating a police state).

More social laws.

Less government regulations that are meant to protect minorities.

Less government funding for institutions that help the needy, underpriveleged, and handicapped.

Unwittingly, they seem to want a larger gap between the wealthiest and the lower classes.

They seem to do little about political corruption (the Dems aren't much better though they have tried and been obstructed by GOP politicians) even though Conservatives often condemn political corruption in Chicago and D.C. Political campaign contribution reform and getting special interests and wealthy lobbies out of the state house I think are extremely important but there is little either side has done about; the Dems have tried to do more (and McCain back in the day when he really was a maverick.)

I support Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the VA, Unemployment Insurance, Welfare, and (even though it sucks because of GOP obstructionism) Health Care Reform. Conservatives have always threatened entitlement programs (an unfortunate term). The GOP has historically ignored veterans (which I am).

Too much defense spending.

The Conservatives seem to be against public education.

I support stem cell research.

There's more but I don't think I need to go into it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Dems suck too. They suck a lot. They're spineless and corrupt in general. But, to me, so is the GOP. The Republicans are obstructing (or attempting to obstruct) an investigation into the BP oil disaster. Whatever happened to an investigation of Halliburton who was charging the US government $5,000 a toilet seat during the early part of the war? Wasn't there seemingly a conflict of interest because Cheney has been the VP of Halliburton? Some Democrats seem to genuinely care and work for those that need the government protection and help. Some seem to genuinely care about their less fortunate constituents. Some seem to share my values and so although I'm not thrilled to vote for Dems - I do because they are, generally, the better choice from my perspective.

I hoped McCain was going to run in 2000. I might've voted for him. I do not vote party line and have voted for independents who were the best choices. But they never won.

Forum List

Back