Obama declines comment on US hostage crisis off Somalia

And again, if this happened while Bush was President, I'd be cleaning up 10-20 threads about it. My entire point is the double-standard by which the left holds their own as opposed to the bullshit attacks that were the hallmark of the Bush administration.

That they can't see it themselves is not only telling, it's scary.

C'mon, Gunny, both sides have their alarmist hacks that are looking for any possible reason to attack, attack, attack no matter what the issue is.

I'm comparing one thread here to the ones I used to have to clean up after Bush did or didn't do something the left didn't like and there is no comparison. The left tries to be "right" and win with swarm attacks, day after day.

Look at this thread. How many people tried to deflect this to Bush? That's okay though, but don't let me bring out what really happens in comparison.

I think not.

Are you saying there wasn't a whole lot of "but Clinton" happening 'round here back in the day when Bush was being attacked?

I know I saw that happen all the time on boards I used to post at.

Well the dumbarses are outing themselves by the minute :lol:

This childish and petty namecalling of your president and criticism him for supposedly not doing what you want is a fucking hoot.

If he'd say anything you'd be yelling he shoulda kept his mouth shut! :lol:

Fuckwits but amusing fuckwits :D

Or would whine 'YOU MEAN THAT'S ALL?? JUST A STATEMENT THAT WE'RE DOING WHAT WE CAN?'

I wonder if Obama does take to the microphone and, using his teleprompter :eek:
tells the American people he's doing all he can, if Fox would interrupt its endless tirades over whether or not Obama 'bowed' to King Abdullah.

Seems like everyone else could comment:

Somali foreign minister Mohamed Omaar said the pirates "cannot win" against American forces.

"The pirates are playing with fire and have got themselves into a situation where they have to extricate themselves because there is no way they can win," he said.
-----
Vice-president Joe Biden said the administration was working "round the clock" on the problem.
-----
The safe return of the captain is the top priority," Defence Secretary Robert Gates told reporters in Washington.
-----
And perhaps, my favorite: US secretary of state Hillary Clinton said: "We're watching it very closely. Apparently, the lifeboat has run out of gas."

Only problem with Hillary's statements - no one was sure if she was talking about the hostage situation or Obama's economic policies.

Well..Obama has to check to see which way they wind is blowing before making an un popular statement. He will comment later,after folks in his cabnet tell him what to say..

Would have been nice for him to show some don't-fuck-with-us-we're-the-United-States cajones.

But after his "Apologize for the U.S." European tour, I knew this wasn't going to happen.

You can always tell the ones who are completely and totally zoned for FoxNews.

There are four pirates holding the captain on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. The lifeboat has run out of gas.

This isn't rocket science.

No, it isn't, except perhaps for you. If the lifeboat is attacked the captain will be killed.

Not at all.

Just a statement.

You know...Leadership.

Remember, he had his chance. But he said that housing was more important.

Situation is fluid at present. But then, folks like you are hoping for failure, no matter what it costs other Americans. You are a pitiful bunch. Some of you even hope for a deadly attack on the US so you can whine that President Obama should have stopped it in spite of the fact that Idiot George left the southern border unprotected for eight years.

Not me. Not at all.

I hope his ideas work - market goes up, more money, etc.

I don't think they will but...I don't hope he fails.

Seems like other countries are more outraged that they took an American than he is.

He is the leader - the citizens look to HIM.

Just make a statement. Say we are working on it. Say he is being kept informed. Say he is outraged and distressed that this has touched the United States.

Don't stand there and talk about housing.

How much time have you spent dwelling on this? Whatever do you do when a REAL crisis emerges? Yap about Obama's teleprompter when he talks to the American people about it?

Picky, picky, picky. The priorities of Republicans these days says volumes.

This childish and petty namecalling of your president and criticism him for supposedly not doing what you want is a fucking hoot.

Not nearly as amusing fuckwits as YOU fuckwits are. Not a decent post amongst the lot of you. If Bush was still President, there'd be at least 10 "Why isn't Bush doing something?" threads all over this board. How quickly you forget.

Would that be before or after you people blamed it all on Clinton?
:eusa_whistle:

Not nearly as amusing fuckwits as YOU fuckwits are. Not a decent post amongst the lot of you. If Bush was still President, there'd be at least 10 "Why isn't Bush doing something?" threads all over this board. How quickly you forget.

yeah, you partisan hacks would have been that way

i don't like obama, nor do i think he's doing a particularly good job as POTUS.
given that, i think he's handled this situation correctly by keeping his mouth shut. why should the POTUS be involved with negotiations with criminals?

if this were like the mayaguez incident, where a sovereign nation had taken over a us flagged ship, i would feel otherwise.

Or such as the situation where China held the crew of the USN aircraft forced to make an emergency landing. I remember thinking Bush did a good job with that, comments were at the right level and not empty threats. That was a time when comment from your president was absolutely necessary (while the backchannels were obviously going at speed as well).

As you indicate, this isn't a nation to nation situation, it's common criminals v international authorities.

So, you other folks - do you get it now?

A US flagged ship is NOT "international authorities" nor is the USS Bainbridge an international ship.

And yeah, we get it. You had one standard for Bush and another for Obama. That's been obvious since the primaries begun.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Because I sure as Hell recall thread after thread after thread of foaming at the mouth lefties wanting to hang the President of the U S by the highest yardarm for the actions of criminal National Guardsmen at Abu Ghraib.

I for one never blamed George Bush, personally, for that. But I did eventually blame him and his House Oversight Committee which spent a grand total of six hours investigating the Abu Ghraib incidents.

Hey Gunny....I'm thinking four well-trained army snipers. All four gives the "all-clear" signal, then a countdown from 3 and no more hostages.

(wait for it...all the Obamatrons will talk about how dangerous that is and how dare we use force when the pirates didn't hurt any of us).

They're all in an enclosure, not standing on the brig of the dinghy.

Or such as the situation where China held the crew of the USN aircraft forced to make an emergency landing. I remember thinking Bush did a good job with that, comments were at the right level and not empty threats. That was a time when comment from your president was absolutely necessary (while the backchannels were obviously going at speed as well).

As you indicate, this isn't a nation to nation situation, it's common criminals v international authorities.

So, you other folks - do you get it now?

A US flagged ship is NOT "international authorities" nor is the USS Bainbridge an international ship.

And yeah, we get it. You had one standard for Bush and another for Obama. That's been obvious since the primaries begun.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Because I sure as Hell recall thread after thread after thread of foaming at the mouth lefties wanting to hang the President of the U S by the highest yardarm for the actions of criminal National Guardsmen at Abu Ghraib.

I for one never blamed George Bush, personally, for that. But I did eventually blame him and his House Oversight Committee which spent a grand total of six hours investigating the Abu Ghraib incidents.
um "His" house oversight commitee?

Same old idiots, same old partisan bullshit.

You know, a handful of guys on a US drug erradication mission were held hostage for fucking years under the Bush administration and they weren't even on the presidential radar. In five years here's what Bush had to say:

America's Forgotten Hostages - TIME

In five years Bush mentioned these guys ONE fucking time.

Two days into to this you guys are jacking your jaws.

Dumb asses.

Hey, looks like someone reelected Bush for a 3rd term!!!:eek:

Get over yourself, hack.

When we get this guy released I'll be sure to remind you again that the last administration allowed these guys to rot in the jungle for five years. No talks, no attempts, no military. And they were on a US mission. Thanks God we have competent leadership now that has these guys in sight. Doing something. Something > nothing. And nothing is what you got before. Nice to have some folks in charge that don't sit on their ass while Americans are held hostage.

I'll start the thread in your honor when we get this home.

And wasn't it immediately after those Columbian hostages were released that Bush signed a trade agreement with Columbia? That's almost as amazing as Ronald Reagan miraculously able to free the Iranian hostages on the day of his inauguration!

C'mon guys, we have to be a bit realistic. We have to get into their heads.

Were Obama to fumble this hostage thing up, it's the kind of thing that could start perpetuating the perceptions of incompetence which are growing among the electorate. Now, it seems relatively minor, one hostage, Somali pirates and not crazy fundamentalists, yeah, ok- but it's kinda the first of these type of foreign affairs problems. They're being very cautious, and probably won't comment until they are totally certain whatever plan they come up with is going to succeed. They just gotta get it right. If the captain dies, people are gonna remember. Some anyway.

Not saying that whatever plan they have will actually succeed. But they're gonna be pretty air-tight until they're sure. It will be interesting to see how this develops, but we still need to see it playout. Declining to speak here is negligible in the long run.

You're using logic? Good luck with that...

Hey, looks like someone reelected Bush for a 3rd term!!!:eek:

Get over yourself, hack.

When we get this guy released I'll be sure to remind you again that the last administration allowed these guys to rot in the jungle for five years. No talks, no attempts, no military. And they were on a US mission. Thanks God we have competent leadership now that has these guys in sight. Doing something. Something > nothing. And nothing is what you got before. Nice to have some folks in charge that don't sit on their ass while Americans are held hostage.

I'll start the thread in your honor when we get this home.

And wasn't it immediately after those Columbian hostages were released that Bush signed a trade agreement with Columbia? That's almost as amazing as Ronald Reagan miraculously able to free the Iranian hostages on the day of his inauguration!
was the government of "Colombia" holding them? NOPE

I do NOT like Obama. BUT this is retarded. He CAN NOT say anything as it is an on going incident. Actually he is showing his smarts by refusing to discuss it. Those pirates have access to the news and would know anything he said almost as fast as he said it.

Ya he should cut the legs out from under whom ever has to deal with those pirates by running his mouth for the News.

really.....how about we are doing everything we can to bring them home....

you know....

HOPE

How about grow the hell up and learn to fight the REAL battles and not make ones up for fun? The President has all kind of problems and is dangerous. You do not need to manufacture fake problems. You waste our time and you give the left leverage to dismiss even the correct and proper complaints by pointing out STUPID shit like this.

I like your style, Sarge. Too bad you're retired. We could use more like you.

lol ... thankfully, I don't watch TV for anything non sports related. It does seem like they have a skewed vision of what exactly the POTUS can and can't do as well as what's prudent for the situation. Hell, I know I'm not entirely sure what can and can't be done but what I do know is the POTUS coming out and saying the same thing other officials are saying isn't going to change things one lick. Personally, I think a lot of the folks bitching about this would have bitched no matter what Obama said or in this case didn't say.

I agree. No matter what he did here these people would be making a mountain out of a mole hill. And it irks me no end, when they have legit complaints they can be making and that won't be giving ammunition to the other side to point out this bullshit and rightly claim " much to do about nothing".

And again, if this happened while Bush was President, I'd be cleaning up 10-20 threads about it. My entire point is the double-standard by which the left holds their own as opposed to the bullshit attacks that were the hallmark of the Bush administration.

Bush was criticized for some serious stuff, pal, not just the silly and insignificant bullshit. But the criticism of Obama by the rabid right came immediately, the day after his inauguration with the RWNM yapping away at all the "trash" left around at Memorial Park which seemed to be their only focus on the new presidency. He's only been in office two and a half months and it hasn't stopped.

I agree. No matter what he did here these people would be making a mountain out of a mole hill. And it irks me no end, when they have legit complaints they can be making and that won't be giving ammunition to the other side to point out this bullshit and rightly claim " much to do about nothing".

Bush was criticized for some serious stuff, pal, not just the silly and insignificant bullshit. But the criticism of Obama by the rabid right came immediately, the day after his inauguration with the RWNM yapping away at all the "trash" left around at Memorial Park which seemed to be their only focus on the new presidency. He's only been in office two and a half months and it hasn't stopped.
and he was also criticized for some weak assed bullshit

C'mon, Gunny, both sides have their alarmist hacks that are looking for any possible reason to attack, attack, attack no matter what the issue is.

I'm comparing one thread here to the ones I used to have to clean up after Bush did or didn't do something the left didn't like and there is no comparison. The left tries to be "right" and win with swarm attacks, day after day.

Look at this thread. How many people tried to deflect this to Bush? That's okay though, but don't let me bring out what really happens in comparison.

I think not.

Are you saying there wasn't a whole lot of "but Clinton" happening 'round here back in the day when Bush was being attacked?

I know I saw that happen all the time on boards I used to post at.

Ain't that the truth, especially over 911 and subsequent invasion of Iraq. Using an older computer at the time, I had so much absolute proof all on 4x4 floppies that I would constantly use over and over again (to the same people!!) but it was like trying to communicate with robots with dead batteries. They would be right back the next day saying the same thing: "If Clinton hadn't.... [fill in blank]"

yeah, you partisan hacks would have been that way

I love it when a partisan hack calls someone else a partisan hack.

Forum List

Back