Obama declines comment on US hostage crisis off Somalia

Seems like everyone else could comment:

Somali foreign minister Mohamed Omaar said the pirates "cannot win" against American forces.

"The pirates are playing with fire and have got themselves into a situation where they have to extricate themselves because there is no way they can win," he said.
-----
Vice-president Joe Biden said the administration was working "round the clock" on the problem.
-----
The safe return of the captain is the top priority," Defence Secretary Robert Gates told reporters in Washington.
-----
And perhaps, my favorite: US secretary of state Hillary Clinton said: "We're watching it very closely. Apparently, the lifeboat has run out of gas."

Only problem with Hillary's statements - no one was sure if she was talking about the hostage situation or Obama's economic policies.

Well..Obama has to check to see which way they wind is blowing before making an un popular statement. He will comment later,after folks in his cabnet tell him what to say..

Somali foreign minister Mohamed Omaar said the pirates "cannot win" against American forces.

"The pirates are playing with fire and have got themselves into a situation where they have to extricate themselves because there is no way they can win," he said.
-----
Vice-president Joe Biden said the administration was working "round the clock" on the problem.
-----
The safe return of the captain is the top priority," Defence Secretary Robert Gates told reporters in Washington.
-----
And perhaps, my favorite: US secretary of state Hillary Clinton said: "We're watching it very closely. Apparently, the lifeboat has run out of gas."

Only problem with Hillary's statements - no one was sure if she was talking about the hostage situation or Obama's economic policies.

Well..Obama has to check to see which way they wind is blowing before making an un popular statement. He will comment later,after folks in his cabnet tell him what to say..

Would have been nice for him to show some don't-fuck-with-us-we're-the-United-States cajones.

But after his "Apologize for the U.S." European tour, I knew this wasn't going to happen.

-----
-----
-----

Would have been nice for him to show some don't-fuck-with-us-we're-the-United-States cajones.

But after his "Apologize for the U.S." European tour, I knew this wasn't going to happen.

You had eight years of that crap and it didn't do a damn bit of good. You now have to be de-programmed. It's time for effectiveness, not rhetoric, from this administration.

-----
-----
-----

POTUS isn't everybody else, no matter who holds the office.

There are four pirates holding the captain on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. The lifeboat has run out of gas.

This isn't rocket science.

There are four pirates holding the captain on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. The lifeboat has run out of gas.

This isn't rocket science.

They will get thirsty soon enough.

Next thing one of you lot is going to demand Obama swim out there and exchange himself for the skipper.

Not at all.

Just a statement.

You know...Leadership.

Remember, he had his chance. But he said that housing was more important.

He'd rather talk about housing.

Obviously far more important than American hostages.

We had the same situation with Bush, and Bush did nothing. Now I don't know what President Obama will do, but it would the height of stupidity to announce it in advance.

He'd rather talk about housing.

Obviously far more important than American hostages.

We had the same situation with Bush, and Bush did nothing. Now I don't know what President Obama will do, but it would the height of stupidity to announce it in advance.

Pirates took an American hostage during the Bush administration?

And I didn't say announce plans. How about some kind of statement saying he is thinking about the hostage - or maybe something about if any harm comes to him, the full force of the United States will reign down on the pirates.

Oh...no...he would go to the United Nations for sanctions.

Damn.

Just forget it.

Last edited:
Next thing one of you lot is going to demand Obama swim out there and exchange himself for the skipper.

Not at all.

Just a statement.

You know...Leadership.

I'm sure Obama is a trained diplomat, hostage negotiator, SWAT sniper, medic and bomb disposal expert. But as a leader he also knows how to delegate.

Not at all.

Just a statement.

You know...Leadership.

Situation is fluid at present. But then, folks like you are hoping for failure, no matter what it costs other Americans. You are a pitiful bunch. Some of you even hope for a deadly attack on the US so you can whine that President Obama should have stopped it in spite of the fact that Idiot George left the southern border unprotected for eight years.

if he's smart, he'll hold out for maryanne.

mary_jane_gilligans_island.jpg

Not at all.

Just a statement.

You know...Leadership.

Situation is fluid at present. But then, folks like you are hoping for failure, no matter what it costs other Americans. You are a pitiful bunch. Some of you even hope for a deadly attack on the US so you can whine that President Obama should have stopped it in spite of the fact that Idiot George left the southern border unprotected for eight years.

Not me. Not at all.

I hope his ideas work - market goes up, more money, etc.

I don't think they will but...I don't hope he fails.

Seems like other countries are more outraged that they took an American than he is.

He is the leader - the citizens look to HIM.

Just make a statement. Say we are working on it. Say he is being kept informed. Say he is outraged and distressed that this has touched the United States.

Don't stand there and talk about housing.

Not at all.

Just a statement.

You know...Leadership.

hey look ....obama gets a pass because bush did something unrelated to this issue.....

Not at all.

Just a statement.

You know...Leadership.

yeah, it was like the fucking berlin wall before that.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
the difference between you and a rabid rightwinger is invisible.

When are these guys going to learn? Obama is not going to say anything unless it is on his teleprompter...

Obama declines comment on US hostage crisis off Somalia | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

I imagine his handlers have yet to formulate Obama's position for him - and he consistently appears unable to form his own opinion without fumbling n bumbling the message.

We need a leader willing to point the presidential finger across the seas to these damn scourge pirates and tell them this will not stand.

Perhaps Obama will say that - but we have to wait until it is teleprompted for him...

He'll vote "NOT PRESENT' for sure

When are these guys going to learn? Obama is not going to say anything unless it is on his teleprompter...

Obama declines comment on US hostage crisis off Somalia | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

I've seen that teleprompter analogy on 3 other message boards. Must be yaw'll got your talking points instructions du jour via e-mail this morning, eh?

Just what is it you'd like Obama to say, personally? It isn't as though he has a direct phone line to the raft.

Bet your ass he can talk to the USS Bainbridge, which is in sight of the lifeboat, anytime he says he wants to.

Did you get YOUR talking points live via e-mail this morning? Your post looks like the usual deflective bullshit.

I've seen that teleprompter analogy on 3 other message boards. Must be yaw'll got your talking points instructions du jour via e-mail this morning, eh?

Just what is it you'd like Obama to say, personally? It isn't as though he has a direct phone line to the raft.

how about....we are doing everything we can to bring our people home...something simple like that

It's been headline news all day long since the hijacking was upgraded to a hostage situation and FBI negotiators involved. But why would you think any "public" announcement should be made which would risk the captain being held hostage getting killed?

When asked about it earlier today, Biden said this: “We’re not going to settle that here. This is being worked on around the clock since this happened. I’m not in a position right now to comment."

Because Biden is the President of the US.:rolleyes:

Lame.

Forum List

Back