Obama declares US not at war with Islam

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
By TOM RAUM, Associated Press Writer Tom Raum, Associated Press Writer – 4 mins ago
ANKARA, Turkey – Barack Obama, making his first visit to a Muslim nation as president, declared Monday the United States "is not and will never be at war with Islam."

Calling for a greater partnership with the Islamic world in an address to the Turkish parliament, Obama called the country an important U.S. ally in many areas, including the fight against terrorism. He devoted much of his speech to urging a greater bond between Americans and Muslims, portraying terrorist groups such as al Qaida as extremists who did not represent the vast majority of Muslims.

"Let me say this as clearly as I can," Obama said. "The United States is not and never will be at war with Islam. In fact, our partnership with the Muslim world is critical ... in rolling back a fringe ideology that people of all faiths reject."

The U.S. president is trying to mend fences with a Muslim world that felt it had been blamed by America for the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

For instance, he dealt gingerly with the issue of alleged genocide committed by Turks against Armenians during World War I, urging Turks and Armenians to continue a process "that works through the past in a way that is honest, open and constructive."

Al Jazeera and Al Arabiyia, two of the biggest Arabic satellite channels, carried Obama's speech live.

"America's relationship with the Muslim world cannot and will not be based on opposition to al Qaida," he said. "We seek broad engagement based upon mutual interests and mutual respect."

I think I'm about to puke. We seek broad engagement based upon mutual interests and mutual respect? Ah yes, our mutual interest, oil. Does the mutual respect come into play with the way we both respect women's rights? Or how about the freedom to worship as we choose, or to not worship at all?

We are on China's ass all the time about their human rights violations, but with the Muslim world we call it mutual respect. :cuckoo: To top it off, we know that Muslims don't respect us in return, so what the hell is mutual here? What it boils down to is Obama kissing Muslim ass, and they're laughing at us. Bush was no better when it came to this. Politicians think they can schmooze their way into getting Muslims to like us and our freedoms, but that will never happen.

You have some good points there, lad.

If it weren't for oil (Middle East) or slave labor (China) we wouldn't have much to do with those two regions of the world.

I don't think it should be legal for American manufacturers to use Chinese labor unless the same safety, health, and environmental standards are in place.

But, in that case, we'd still be just making the products here, the way we should be.

Wait, the subject of this thread and the points you're making in it are two different things. We are indeed, not at war with Islam; however, Muslim countries could surely do something to improve human rights within their country. You'll rarely see this from far left human rights organizations, though. They're more interested in picking on Israel for defending its own people.

I try as hard as possible to not do business with Chinese products or companies. Unfortunately, the keyboard I'm typing this on was probably made in China as was my computer monitor. And if I have any problems with either, I need to call India. :sigh:

US politicians will never be able to be frank and honest with the Muslim world until America gets off its addiction to oil!

Good thing those days are rapidly approaching!

Tesla: More than 500 takers for Model S | Planetary Gear - CNET News
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By TOM RAUM, Associated Press Writer Tom Raum, Associated Press Writer – 4 mins ago
ANKARA, Turkey – Barack Obama, making his first visit to a Muslim nation as president, declared Monday the United States "is not and will never be at war with Islam."

Calling for a greater partnership with the Islamic world in an address to the Turkish parliament, Obama called the country an important U.S. ally in many areas, including the fight against terrorism. He devoted much of his speech to urging a greater bond between Americans and Muslims, portraying terrorist groups such as al Qaida as extremists who did not represent the vast majority of Muslims.

"Let me say this as clearly as I can," Obama said. "The United States is not and never will be at war with Islam. In fact, our partnership with the Muslim world is critical ... in rolling back a fringe ideology that people of all faiths reject."

The U.S. president is trying to mend fences with a Muslim world that felt it had been blamed by America for the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

For instance, he dealt gingerly with the issue of alleged genocide committed by Turks against Armenians during World War I, urging Turks and Armenians to continue a process "that works through the past in a way that is honest, open and constructive."

Al Jazeera and Al Arabiyia, two of the biggest Arabic satellite channels, carried Obama's speech live.

"America's relationship with the Muslim world cannot and will not be based on opposition to al Qaida," he said. "We seek broad engagement based upon mutual interests and mutual respect."

I think I'm about to puke. We seek broad engagement based upon mutual interests and mutual respect? Ah yes, our mutual interest, oil. Does the mutual respect come into play with the way we both respect women's rights? Or how about the freedom to worship as we choose, or to not worship at all?

We are on China's ass all the time about their human rights violations, but with the Muslim world we call it mutual respect. :cuckoo: To top it off, we know that Muslims don't respect us in return, so what the hell is mutual here? What it boils down to is Obama kissing Muslim ass, and they're laughing at us. Bush was no better when it came to this. Politicians think they can schmooze their way into getting Muslims to like us and our freedoms, but that will never happen.

You speak of 'Muslims' as some sort of uniform group. It's not so - by FAR.

VAST MAJORITY of Muslims are just like you and I - normal people who want peace, prosperity, and freedom. There is a radical minority out there that is fucking it up for them... that minority DOES NOT represent Muslims worldwide. Just as Michael Griffin (the fuckwad that killed an abortion doctor in 93) doesn't represent the Christian community or even the anti-abortion movement...

I applaud Obama for doing what he did and saying what he said. This is EXACTLY what is needed and I'm UBER HAPPY somebody finally HAS THE BALLS to do it... I just hope he'll keep at it and will work it right.

Very true many Muslim nations have had conflicts with each other as have Christian nations! Not even all the radical groups have the same goals, aims and enemies!

VAST MAJORITY of Muslims are just like you and I - normal people who want peace, prosperity, and freedom. There is a radical minority out there that is fucking it up for them... that minority DOES NOT represent Muslims worldwide.
Yes, but that radical minority is much much larger than you (as a blind weak leftist) want to admit! The radical minority is extremely dangerous and have no probably harming their own people to accomplish their goals. While I don't agree with characterizing our WAR ON TERROR with a war against Islam, I think its wrong to not say we are at war against radical Islam and moderates that are compliacent with it!

Just as Michael Griffin (the fuckwad that killed an abortion doctor in 93) doesn't represent the Christian community or even the anti-abortion movement...
The left always wants to attack Christians (or Jews for that matter) when someone is going to point out that this radical Muslim "minority" is a huge threat. Look Christian anti-abortionist are criminals if they kill, but they are NOT a threat to the whole country in any way, shape or form! This do not threaten our economy, our existence and our way of life as a whole. So you can take that argument and shove it up you weak leftist ass!

I applaud Obama for doing what he did and saying what he said. This is EXACTLY what is needed and I'm UBER HAPPY somebody finally HAS THE BALLS to do it... I just hope he'll keep at it and will work it right.
Balls? :cuckoo: It's good he is trying to build relations with our oil supplies, but it has nothing to do with balls. Rather it has to do with weakness! Our enemies within Islam don't respect this, they see it for what it is, WEAKNESS! The ayatollahs have just stepped up production of the atomic bomb and the Saudis, Iraqis, Syrians, Yemenis, Lebanese, Turks, Somolis, Egyptians, Libyians and Sudanese are just about to start!

Bush Says U.S. At War With Extremists, Not Islam
September 19, 2006

DECFDF29-4543-4EDF-AE5B-D95A2A2BBDFD_w203.jpg

UNITED NATIONS, September 19, 2006 (RFE/RL) -- In an address at the opening of the 61st session of the UN General Assembly, U.S. President George W. Bush today delivered a conciliatory speech to the people of the Middle East, saying the United States respects Islam and isn't at war with Muslims.

Fucking hypocrite.

Bush Says U.S. At War With Extremists, Not Islam - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2009

You know, most Moslim view their disunity as their biggest weakness, in that light, it hardly seems fair to lump all of them together with Al Quaida.

Apart from that, beeing at war with a religion that doesnt have a clear leader (If lets say the USSR is at war with Catholicsm, they could try to make the Pope capitulate, you dont have a Moslem Pope.

You could see it a bit more cyncical, the Global warming will make the areas which have Polar Days and Nights more habitable, and in these areas noone with a brain will become a moslem. On the other hand, Global warming will hurt the Africa and the middle east much more.

Wait, the subject of this thread and the points you're making in it are two different things. We are indeed, not at war with Islam; however, Muslim countries could surely do something to improve human rights within their country. You'll rarely see this from far left human rights organizations, though. They're more interested in picking on Israel for defending its own people.

I try as hard as possible to not do business with Chinese products or companies. Unfortunately, the keyboard I'm typing this on was probably made in China as was my computer monitor. And if I have any problems with either, I need to call India. :sigh:

And since clearly you do give a damn, who do you call to get that processor thing fixed? :cool:

It's not mainstream Muslims that are the problem. It's Islamofascist radicals and their dumbass Jihad crap.

VAST MAJORITY of Muslims are just like you and I - normal people who want peace, prosperity, and freedom. There is a radical minority out there that is fucking it up for them... that minority DOES NOT represent Muslims worldwide. Just as Michael Griffin (the fuckwad that killed an abortion doctor in 93) doesn't represent the Christian community or even the anti-abortion movement...

Gosh, if the "vast majority" of Muslims are just like you and I, explain why they aren't sending money and aid to Darfur, protecting their muslim brothers who are being decimated there by white muslims, who consider them "slaves".

If the "vast majority" of Muslims are just like you and I, then they are either ignorant of the contents of the Koran and the Haddiths, or they are lying. The Koran does not support compromise, encourages lying to win conflict, and will not acknowledge that any land, once conquered by Muslims, will ever be any but a Muslim country.

That includes France and Austria, where they laid siege, and all the land between those two countries and the East from whence they spread.

Islam is not just a religion, and those who insist that Muslims are just peace loving souls like ourselves who aren't interested in conquering the world are either stupid beyond reason, or liars.

If they are so peaceful and just like us, then remove Islam and every conflict centered around Islam from the map..and see how peaceful the map looks.

Obama is saying the same thing as Bush, but he thinks his words carry more weight because of his Muslim heritage and name. He might be right, but all that would prove is the prejudice of many Muslims.

but we aren't at war with Islam. We have to deal with putting down the wahibbist threat, but out of the entire muslim population, i think we all know that only a small percent are violent fundie wackos.

the moderate Arabs... people in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon (excluding Hezbollah)... appreciate it. The wackos see anythig short of blowing them off the face of the earth with impunity as weakness and they hate us either way. so those people and their threats need to be addressed differently. but nothing wrong with a little nuanced thought after eight years of wacko meets wacko.

but we aren't at war with Islam. We have to deal with putting down the wahibbist threat, but out of the entire muslim population, i think we all know that only a small percent are violent fundie wackos.

the moderate Arabs... people in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon (excluding Hezbollah)... appreciate it. The wackos see anythig short of blowing them off the face of the earth with impunity as weakness and they hate us either way. so those people and their threats need to be addressed differently. but nothing wrong with a little nuanced thought after eight years of wacko meets wacko.

so obama is merely stating the obvious....iow...pointless comment?

Another thing besides massive bailouts in which Obama and Bush are on the same Page. Who'd a thunk.

And some of the key components in our Tomahawks are made in China. :evil:

Wow, some of the opinions here... Many times on this board I'm very hopeful that these are the opinions of the past. The opinions of a dying and crippled generation forged in the grips xenophobia and ideological fear.

Write to the guy, and to congress, and get them to declare war on a billion people. Go ahead. You'll be much safer! It'll be easy to occupy a quarter of the earth. And hey, if it goes bad, just nuke the whole fucking place- you guys love nuke so much, cuz they make the whole world so safe. Fix a big dome over Jerusalem just in case, and then boom. It'll be very cheap, too. All you need to do is what, press 50 million Americans into military service and spend 50% of GDP on the military for the next 1,000 years. Glorious!

And sure, It's high time for another great war. It'll get the economy going.

Good luck! = ) I'll be watching the TV to hear Obama say "We are at War with Islam" on CNN, and then I'll feel just SO FUCKING SAFE MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE.

Forum List

Back