Obama declares US not at war with Islam

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by auditor0007, Apr 6, 2009.

1. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    By TOM RAUM, Associated Press Writer Tom Raum, Associated Press Writer – 4 mins ago
    ANKARA, Turkey – Barack Obama, making his first visit to a Muslim nation as president, declared Monday the United States "is not and will never be at war with Islam."

Calling for a greater partnership with the Islamic world in an address to the Turkish parliament, Obama called the country an important U.S. ally in many areas, including the fight against terrorism. He devoted much of his speech to urging a greater bond between Americans and Muslims, portraying terrorist groups such as al Qaida as extremists who did not represent the vast majority of Muslims.

"Let me say this as clearly as I can," Obama said. "The United States is not and never will be at war with Islam. In fact, our partnership with the Muslim world is critical ... in rolling back a fringe ideology that people of all faiths reject."

The U.S. president is trying to mend fences with a Muslim world that felt it had been blamed by America for the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

For instance, he dealt gingerly with the issue of alleged genocide committed by Turks against Armenians during World War I, urging Turks and Armenians to continue a process "that works through the past in a way that is honest, open and constructive."

Al Jazeera and Al Arabiyia, two of the biggest Arabic satellite channels, carried Obama's speech live.

"America's relationship with the Muslim world cannot and will not be based on opposition to al Qaida," he said. "We seek broad engagement based upon mutual interests and mutual respect."

Obama declares US not at war with Islam

I think I'm about to puke. We seek broad engagement based upon mutual interests and mutual respect? Ah yes, our mutual interest, oil. Does the mutual respect come into play with the way we both respect women's rights? Or how about the freedom to worship as we choose, or to not worship at all?

We are on China's ass all the time about their human rights violations, but with the Muslim world we call it mutual respect. :cuckoo: To top it off, we know that Muslims don't respect us in return, so what the hell is mutual here? What it boils down to is Obama kissing Muslim ass, and they're laughing at us. Bush was no better when it came to this. Politicians think they can schmooze their way into getting Muslims to like us and our freedoms, but that will never happen.

2. ItsFairmont

ItsFairmont Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You have some good points there, lad.

If it weren't for oil (Middle East) or slave labor (China) we wouldn't have much to do with those two regions of the world.

I don't think it should be legal for American manufacturers to use Chinese labor unless the same safety, health, and environmental standards are in place.

But, in that case, we'd still be just making the products here, the way we should be.

3. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Wait, the subject of this thread and the points you're making in it are two different things. We are indeed, not at war with Islam; however, Muslim countries could surely do something to improve human rights within their country. You'll rarely see this from far left human rights organizations, though. They're more interested in picking on Israel for defending its own people.

I try as hard as possible to not do business with Chinese products or companies. Unfortunately, the keyboard I'm typing this on was probably made in China as was my computer monitor. And if I have any problems with either, I need to call India. :sigh:

4. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    And if you want to bitch about it, call someone who gives a fuck.

5. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,924
    US politicians will never be able to be frank and honest with the Muslim world until America gets off its addiction to oil!

Good thing those days are rapidly approaching!

Tesla: More than 500 takers for Model S | Planetary Gear - CNET News
    Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Neser Boha

Neser Boha upgrade your gray matter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +434
    You speak of 'Muslims' as some sort of uniform group. It's not so - by FAR.

VAST MAJORITY of Muslims are just like you and I - normal people who want peace, prosperity, and freedom. There is a radical minority out there that is fucking it up for them... that minority DOES NOT represent Muslims worldwide. Just as Michael Griffin (the fuckwad that killed an abortion doctor in 93) doesn't represent the Christian community or even the anti-abortion movement...

I applaud Obama for doing what he did and saying what he said. This is EXACTLY what is needed and I'm UBER HAPPY somebody finally HAS THE BALLS to do it... I just hope he'll keep at it and will work it right.

7. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,924
    Very true many Muslim nations have had conflicts with each other as have Christian nations! Not even all the radical groups have the same goals, aims and enemies!

Yes, but that radical minority is much much larger than you (as a blind weak leftist) want to admit! The radical minority is extremely dangerous and have no probably harming their own people to accomplish their goals. While I don't agree with characterizing our WAR ON TERROR with a war against Islam, I think its wrong to not say we are at war against radical Islam and moderates that are compliacent with it!

The left always wants to attack Christians (or Jews for that matter) when someone is going to point out that this radical Muslim "minority" is a huge threat. Look Christian anti-abortionist are criminals if they kill, but they are NOT a threat to the whole country in any way, shape or form! This do not threaten our economy, our existence and our way of life as a whole. So you can take that argument and shove it up you weak leftist ass!

Balls? :cuckoo: It's good he is trying to build relations with our oil supplies, but it has nothing to do with balls. Rather it has to do with weakness! Our enemies within Islam don't respect this, they see it for what it is, WEAKNESS! The ayatollahs have just stepped up production of the atomic bomb and the Saudis, Iraqis, Syrians, Yemenis, Lebanese, Turks, Somolis, Egyptians, Libyians and Sudanese are just about to start!

8. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Fucking hypocrite.

Bush Says U.S. At War With Extremists, Not Islam - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2009

9. mightypeon

mightypeon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    You know, most Moslim view their disunity as their biggest weakness, in that light, it hardly seems fair to lump all of them together with Al Quaida.

Apart from that, beeing at war with a religion that doesnt have a clear leader (If lets say the USSR is at war with Catholicsm, they could try to make the Pope capitulate, you dont have a Moslem Pope.

You could see it a bit more cyncical, the Global warming will make the areas which have Polar Days and Nights more habitable, and in these areas noone with a brain will become a moslem. On the other hand, Global warming will hurt the Africa and the middle east much more.

10. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,707
    And since clearly you do give a damn, who do you call to get that processor thing fixed? :cool: