Obama Declares National State of Emergency Over Libya

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Someone please tell me this is a parody site:

Obama declares national state of emergency over Libya | The Cable
President Obama issued an Executive Order Friday evening that imposes immediate sanctions on Libyan ruler Muammar al Qaddafi, his sons and his accomplices in the slaughter of civilians. In a letter accompanying the order, Obama declared a national emergency over the situation.
"I have determined that the actions of Colonel Muammar Qaddafi, his government, and close associates, including extreme measures against the people of Libya, constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States. The order declares a national emergency to deal with this threat," Obama wrote in the letter to House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH).
Link to the actual Executive Order:

2011libya.eo

If this is true, then what is so special or different about Libya (compared to the other Middle East nations where revolution is erupting) that would cause The President to issue this order? :confused:

This episode illustrates the very real problem this administration has in dealing with developing international crisis. It takes days for the administration to realize what is going on and then more days to formulate a response that seems to be in line what the news media wants. There appears to be no internal leadership here and that is a frightening aspect. What happens if the North Koreans cross the DMZ. Will Obama wait until they over run the south before commenting? What about Formosa? Will the Chinese have total control before the US responds?

The kind of responses we are seeing from this administration emboldens foreign leaders to believe they can do what they want with impunity for a week before the US can decide what to do. It sets a precedent of weakness.

This episode illustrates the very real problem this administration has in dealing with developing international crisis. It takes days for the administration to realize what is going on and then more days to formulate a response that seems to be in line what the news media wants. There appears to be no internal leadership here and that is a frightening aspect. What happens if the North Koreans cross the DMZ. Will Obama wait until they over run the south before commenting? What about Formosa? Will the Chinese have total control before the US responds?

The kind of responses we are seeing from this administration emboldens foreign leaders to believe they can do what they want with impunity for a week before the US can decide what to do. It sets a precedent of weakness.

Are you suggesting...incompetence???

You're gonna like the gulag.

Someone please tell me this is a parody site:

Obama declares national state of emergency over Libya | The Cable
President Obama issued an Executive Order Friday evening that imposes immediate sanctions on Libyan ruler Muammar al Qaddafi, his sons and his accomplices in the slaughter of civilians. In a letter accompanying the order, Obama declared a national emergency over the situation.
"I have determined that the actions of Colonel Muammar Qaddafi, his government, and close associates, including extreme measures against the people of Libya, constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States. The order declares a national emergency to deal with this threat," Obama wrote in the letter to House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH).
Link to the actual Executive Order:

2011libya.eo

If this is true, then what is so special or different about Libya (compared to the other Middle East nations where revolution is erupting) that would cause The President to issue this order? :confused:

It is probably just a technical step he has to take to impose sanctions. Ask a law expert, not me.

Forum List

Back