Obama could have left troops in Iraq beyond December 31, 2011 - WITHOUT IMMUNITY

It isn't about dictating. It is about providing further stability.

Actually, what it's about is the fact that Iraq is a sovereign nation which we can't force to do anything. Just because one Iraqi leader supported Obama's plan does not mean that that was sufficient to gain Iraq's approval. Obama didn't cave. In fact, he fought to work out a deal to keep US troops in Iraq. But immunity was a deal breaker for Obama, and rightly so.

It isn't about dictating. It is about providing further stability.

Actually, what it's about is the fact that Iraq is a sovereign nation which we can't force to do anything. Just because one Iraqi leader supported Obama's plan does not mean that that was sufficient to gain Iraq's approval. Obama didn't cave. In fact, he fought to work out a deal to keep US troops in Iraq. But immunity was a deal breaker for Obama, and rightly so.

First of all- we do have a responsibility to provide stability if that is what Iraq wants. Al Sad'r is a Shiite Cleric- he is the last one Obama should be acquiescing to- especially in light of the risks for upheaval and civil war- and given the fact that Maliki wanted us to stay for these reasons.

I think many are missing the point as to why U.S. troops are leaving Iraq by December 31, 2011:

Obama announces U.S. troops leaving Iraq by year's end

The Associated Press
Date: Fri. Oct. 21 2011

In recent months, Washington had been discussing with Iraqi leaders the possibility of several thousand American troops remaining to continue training Iraqi security forces.

Throughout the discussions, Iraqi leaders refused to give U.S. troops immunity from prosecution in Iraqi courts, and the Americans refused to stay without that guarantee.

Moreover, Iraq's leadership has been split on whether it wanted American forces to stay.

When the 2008 agreement requiring all U.S. forces to leave Iraq was passed, many U.S. officials assumed it would inevitably be renegotiated so that Americans could stay longer.

The U.S. said repeatedly this year it would entertain an offer from the Iraqis to have a small force stay behind, and the Iraqis said they would like American military help. But as the year wore on and the number of American troops that Washington was suggesting could stay behind dropped, it became increasingly clear that a U.S. troop presence was not a sure thing.

The issue of legal protection for the Americans was the deal-breaker.

More: Obama announces U.S. troops leaving Iraq by year's end - CTV News

As I understand it, Obama could have left troops in Iraq past year-end - but because Iraqi leaders refused to give U.S. troops immunity from prosecution in Iraqi courts - Obama is pulling them out. Thank you, Mr. President.

Last I checked it was you liberals whining that Iraq could not prosecute American troops that was the problem.

First of all- we do have a responsibility to provide stability

No, we don't. How is it that people think we have a responsibility to do for other countries but not our own?

if that is what Iraq wants.

Apparently, they don't want it anyway.

Al Sad'r is a Shiite Cleric- he is the last one Obama should be acquiescing to

This is what most of you are not getting. This isn't about what Obama decided so much as what IRAQ decided. Iraq refused to extend immunity to US troops. It is because of that reason that Obama decided we must withdraw our troops. And he's right to do it. There's no reason we should leave our troops in Iraq if it will potentially expose them to legal troubles there.

especially in light of the risks for upheaval and civil war

That is Iraq's problem, not ours. They made their decision.

and given the fact that Maliki wanted us to stay for these reasons.

Obama has a singular, and very reasonable, request. To extend immunity to US troops. It was a necessary request. Indeed, the people who are bitching that Obama is wrong would have been in even a bigger uproar if Obama didn't stand up for our troops on this. If Maliki wants us to keep our troops there than it was HIS job to secure support within HIS government to grant Obama's request. But since he couldn't do that, I don't give a care what he wants or what his reasons are.

I don't see how anyone could say Obama is lying or accepting undue praise. He had a choice to make - and he made it.

You have no idea how anyone could say that? How about the fact that Obama is trying to claim he is keeping a campaign promise to bring all troops home from Iraq within 18 months is the reason he is bringing the troops home. You just proved that was a lie, so how can anyone not say he is lying?

First of all- we do have a responsibility to provide stability

No, we don't. How is it that people think we have a responsibility to do for other countries but not our own?

if that is what Iraq wants.

Apparently, they don't want it anyway.

This is what most of you are not getting. This isn't about what Obama decided so much as what IRAQ decided. Iraq refused to extend immunity to US troops. It is because of that reason that Obama decided we must withdraw our troops. And he's right to do it. There's no reason we should leave our troops in Iraq if it will potentially expose them to legal troubles there.

especially in light of the risks for upheaval and civil war

That is Iraq's problem, not ours. They made their decision.

and given the fact that Maliki wanted us to stay for these reasons.

Obama has a singular, and very reasonable, request. To extend immunity to US troops. It was a necessary request. Indeed, the people who are bitching that Obama is wrong would have been in even a bigger uproar if Obama didn't stand up for our troops on this. If Maliki wants us to keep our troops there than it was HIS job to secure support within HIS government to grant Obama's request. But since he couldn't do that, I don't give a care what he wants or what his reasons are.

No, Iraq, did not want us out "a faction" in Iraq's government wanted us out- you do know what a faction is don't you? We most certainly do owe Iraq an offer of help with stability, since we did oust their former leader and their country is still trying to stabilize as a result.

Maliki, who represents another Iraq faction within its government, has made it clear that he wanted us to stay... that should have been Obama's cue to negotiate harder instead of tucking tail- which I maintain he did for political aspirations here at home.

Maybe I should rename this thread: The Obama Iraq Birther Thread

Obama should have negotiated "harder"? What a crock of shit. What do any of you know about how hard Obama and his team negotiated? Obama is putting his reelection at risk by pulling all troops out of Iraq because Iraq could significantly degrade by Election Day 2012. Of course Maliki would like U.S. troops to stay, because he knows many would like to give him the Gaddafi treatment.

Anyway, I'm happy the troops are coming home!

Forum List

Back