Obama Considering Presidential Run In 2008

I want to see some accountability in the public schools. If the public schools were good, people would not be spending extra money to send their students to private schools. “The proof is in the pudding” as people say. People would not want to take money away from public schools if they thought that public schools were doing a good job of educating children. It is as simple as that.

No. They want to take money away from public schools because public schools don't engage in religious indoctrination.

No. They want to take money away from public schools because public schools don't engage in religious indoctrination.

Wrong again....the public school should get the exact same amount of money per student they now have (less students/less money), actually they would have more money PER STUDENT because the vouchers do not reflect an actual dollar for dollar rebate to the parents that they pay for public schools....

Public schools win in either case....

I like Kathianne. She just says silly stuff sometimes. :cool:

But she also knows that vouchers do, indeed, siphon money to parochial schools. That's their intention. She knows that, too. She also knows that the people who hate public education are the ones who encourage vouchers BECAUSE they will kill off public schools.

She doesn't need me to tell her those things. She just agrees with them, so takes a position she knows doesn't wash.

Well, some of that is true, but mostly, people send their kids to private schools because so many of the public schools are in such deplorable shape and of such poor educational quality, that they have no choice if they want their kids to have a decent, classical education, unfettered with "outcome based" lunacy.

No. I'm saying vouchers would rape the public schools and are a back-door means of funding parochial schools.

I thought that was pretty clear.

Still the same effect on those that could use them. I'm sorry Jillian, the idea of condemning poor kids to poor schools for the sake of public schools, doesn't make sense to me.

Now if you wish to mount a fight against the inclusion movement, the idea that schools are the panacea of all social ills, then I might agree.

Still the same effect on those that could use them. I'm sorry Jillian, the idea of condemning poor kids to poor schools for the sake of public schools, doesn't make sense to me.

Now if you wish to mount a fight against the inclusion movement, the idea that schools are the panacea of all social ills, then I might agree.

Are you reading what I wrote, Kathianne, or intentionally ignoring it?

Poor kids already have school choice under No Child Left Behind. That ISN'T what vouchers are about and you know it.

Poor kids already have school choice under No Child Left Behind. That ISN'T what vouchers are about and you know it.

It's not the way it's working in Chicago. There are too many failing schools. They don't get the tutors they need either-some is the parent not getting the kids there, some is the district not telling them about those 'requirements' because there are too many.

It's not close to working fairly Jillian, the results are there every day.

Here is an interesting web site with information to counter misinformation:

http://www.capenet.org/facts.html

Here are some interesting key points that I discovered from reading that web site.

11 percent of American students attended private school last year.

There are such things as nonsectarian private schools and they do receive students.

There are higher percentages of students at or above various achievement levels in private schools than in public schools.

Tuition back in 1999 was $4,689.

So let me get this straight. Parents will spend nearly $5000 extra per year just so that a teacher will tell their son that God is real – when the parents can accomplish the same goal much more cheaply by taking their son to church once or twice a week or teaching him themselves.

“No child left behind” gives poorly performing students a choice. Yet I can criticize this on two fronts. First of all the student must be performing poorly. If you know that there are better private schools, why must the child be performing poorly before a choice is offered to you? I’m going to live in a bad neighborhood and hope that I don’t get hurt. If I get hurt, then I can move. Secondly, the only choice is for the child to go to another public school.

I stand by my view in that the bottom line is that if public schools perform better than do private schools, then even if public schools were paid on a per-student bases, they would not lose much money (if any) if there were true choice.

Back to Rezko/Obama, looks like the honeymoon is over and the General Election is beginning:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/03/726268.aspx

Obama tangles with the press
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 5:58 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: 2008, Obama

From NBC/NJ’s Aswini Anburajan
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- Led by the Chicago press corps that has covered Obama for years, the candidate today faced a barrage of questions in what turned out to be a contentious news conference.

Questions centered on why his campaign had denied that a meeting occurred between his chief economic advisor and Canadian officials as well as questions on his relationship with Tony Rezko, a Chicago land developer and fast food magnate, now on trial for corruption charges.

Obama claimed that when he had first denied the meeting between Austan Goolsbee and any members of the Canadian administration he provided "the information that [he] had at the time."

He added, "Nobody reached out to the Canadians to try to reassure them. They reached out, unbeknownst to the rest of us; They reached out to Mr. Goolsbee, who provided them with a tangible conversation and repeated what we've said on the campaign trail."

When did the meeting take place? Why did the Canadian officials reach out? Did Goolsbee not come forward right away and admit the meeting to Campaign Manager David Plouffe and Obama when both denied it last week? These are questions that went unanswered as the press conference was cut short.

Much of the back and forth, though, between reporters and Obama was about his relationship with Tony Rezko, with reporters demanded his staff had claimed they had been forthright with all the details...

Back to Rezko/Obama, looks like the honeymoon is over and the General Election is beginning:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/03/726268.aspx

Crooked Liberal Chicago politician...is this the best the dimmercrats could do? Wonder if other contributors will come forth during the general election like say Ayers hmm.....I guess will see.

As an Illinois state senator in 2001, Mr. Obama accepted a $200 contribution from William Ayers, a founding member of the group that bombed the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon during the 1970s.

Mr. Ayers wrote a memoir, "Fugitive Days," published in 2001, and on the day of the September 11 terrorist attacks, he was quoted by the New York Times as saying: "I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough."

He and Mr. Obama served together on the nine-member board of the Woods Fund, a Chicago nonprofit, for three years beginning in 1999, and they have also appeared jointly on two academic panels, one in 1997 and another in 2001. Mr. Ayers, who was never convicted in the Weather Underground bombings, is now a professor of education at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

The Ayers link, reported on Friday by Bloomberg News, has surfaced in recent days as Mr. Obama tries to add to his lead in the Democratic primary fight. He faces Mrs. Clinton today in a primary in Wisconsin and caucuses in Hawaii, after which they will prepare for critical elections in delegate-rich Ohio and Texas on March 4.

Reached at his office in Chicago yesterday, Mr. Ayers declined to comment on his relationship with Mr. Obama.

As an Illinois state senator in 2001, Mr. Obama accepted a $200 contribution from William Ayers, a founding member of the group that bombed the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon during the 1970s.

Mr. Ayers wrote a memoir, "Fugitive Days," published in 2001, and on the day of the September 11 terrorist attacks, he was quoted by the New York Times as saying: "I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough."

He and Mr. Obama served together on the nine-member board of the Woods Fund, a Chicago nonprofit, for three years beginning in 1999, and they have also appeared jointly on two academic panels, one in 1997 and another in 2001. Mr. Ayers, who was never convicted in the Weather Underground bombings, is now a professor of education at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

The Ayers link, reported on Friday by Bloomberg News, has surfaced in recent days as Mr. Obama tries to add to his lead in the Democratic primary fight. He faces Mrs. Clinton today in a primary in Wisconsin and caucuses in Hawaii, after which they will prepare for critical elections in delegate-rich Ohio and Texas on March 4.

Reached at his office in Chicago yesterday, Mr. Ayers declined to comment on his relationship with Mr. Obama.

http://www.nysun.com/article/71421?access=300609

:( :(
Crooked Liberal Chicago politician...is this the best the dimmercrats could do? Wonder if other contributors will come forth during the general election like say Ayers hmm.....I guess will see.

http://www.nysun.com/article/71421?access=300609

Ah, excuse me I pissed off someone spelling Democrats, Dimmercrats excuse me...I'm so sorry, they gave me a negative rating...:(

:( :(

Ah, excuse me I pissed off someone spelling Democrats, Dimmercrats excuse me...I'm so sorry, they gave me a negative rating...:(

If I were a petty person, I'd give you a neg rep for not only spamming crap like that, but doing such a shitty job cutting and pasting that you repeated five paragraphs of it.

but I'm not.

If I were a petty person, I'd give you a neg rep for not only spamming crap like that, but doing such a shitty job cutting and pasting that you repeated five paragraphs of it.

but I'm not.

Thank you, only reason it was pasted five times is because I hear repeated something helps the memory. So I was trying to help out...just messing with you.

Forum List

Back