Obama: Columbus Day a Time to ‘Reflect on Tragic Burdens Tribal Communities Bore’

How about a moment to reflect on the poor Irish.....The Italians got a federal holiday!

And the Italians- two salad dressings!
The Irish: nada.

Where the heck is the 'Social Justice' in that????

St. Patrick's Day might be a national holiday if we weren't so prudish about drinking in this country.

If 'if' and 'buts' were candy and nuts,
We'd all have a Merry Christmas!

For the Irish: no salad dressing, no peace!

The Irish have to invent their own damn dressing if they want one.

How about a moment to reflect on the poor Irish.....The Italians got a federal holiday!

And the Italians- two salad dressings!
The Irish: nada.

Where the heck is the 'Social Justice' in that????

St. Patrick's Day might be a national holiday if we weren't so prudish about drinking in this country.

If 'if' and 'buts' were candy and nuts,
We'd all have a Merry Christmas!

For the Irish: no salad dressing, no peace!

What about Bailey's Irish Cream? It goes with everything! :cheers2:

Who's prudish about drinking? :confused:

Are you kidding me?

You've got to be 21 to drink (but not to sign up to fight a war or to get married or to take on 30 years of debt) and you can't consume alcohol in public in most all places.

It's called common sense. :cool:

What's so common sense about it? Those under 21 could drink for most of our nation's history, and outlawing drinking in most public places is also fairly recent. Are you telling me America became a world super power with no common sense? The only reason 21 has to be the drinking age is because we lack the common sense to structure our cities such that folks can get home from the bar (or do anything) without a car.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me?

You've got to be 21 to drink (but not to sign up to fight a war or to get married or to take on 30 years of debt) and you can't consume alcohol in public in most all places.

What's so common sense about it? Those under 21 could drink for most of our nation's history, and outlawing drinking in most public places is also fairly recent. Are you telling me America became a world super power with no common sense?

You like to add what I'll call "Straw Man" sentences to all your replies, don't you?

That way you can always have a "comeback" on that part of your reply.

If I have to explain why it's common sense then you aren't 1/3 as bright as you keep telling yourself. :cool:

What's so common sense about it? Those under 21 could drink for most of our nation's history, and outlawing drinking in most public places is also fairly recent. Are you telling me America became a world super power with no common sense?

You like to add what I'll call "Straw Man" sentences to all your replies, don't you?

That way you can always have a "comeback" on that part of your reply.

If I have to explain why it's common sense then you aren't 1/3 as bright as you keep telling yourself. :cool:

What is the "straw man" sentence that you are referring to? Are you just using that phrase because some other rightie told you to use it when you have no better reply? Do you even know what it means?

Do you even know what "common sense" is?

In his presidential proclamation recognizing Columbus Day issued last week, President Barack Obama said the holiday was a day to “celebrate our heritage as people born of many histories and traditions” and a time to “reflect on the tragic burdens tribal communities bore” since the explorer arrived on the North American continent in 1492.

:confused:

And here I thought it was to celebrate the man known as Columbus. :confused:

You mean the fact that within 50 years of his landing the Spanish had exterminated every single native on the island? Those kind of tragic burdens?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCiw5xUmoUQ]RARE EARTH-I JUST WANT TO CELEBRATE - YouTube[/ame]

In his presidential proclamation recognizing Columbus Day issued last week, President Barack Obama said the holiday was a day to “celebrate our heritage as people born of many histories and traditions” and a time to “reflect on the tragic burdens tribal communities bore” since the explorer arrived on the North American continent in 1492.

You mean the fact that within 50 years of his landing the Spanish had exterminated every single native on the island? Those kind of tragic burdens?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCiw5xUmoUQ]RARE EARTH-I JUST WANT TO CELEBRATE - YouTube[/ame]

OMG you're so anti-American for stating historical fact!

Yeah the ones the "Spanish" thrust upon them ! :cool:

Why not?

Maybe you fucking nut bags should get on the Conservapedia train and rewrite history books.

Hell, let's rewrite the bible and remove all those liberal ideas.

Bottom line is that it happened (historical fact), it is better to acknowledge it than pretend it's some sort of an anti American perversion for mentioning it.

:lol:

OMG you're so anti-American for stating historical fact!

LOL, you are so ignorant to the facts that you wouldn't believe the facts if they were stapled to your forehead!

The man known as Columbus never set foot on the North American continent. In, what 3 or was it 4 voyages. He did, however, manage to set foot on the South American continent ONCE.

Oh, and Magellan, the first guy to "sail around the world"? He died in the Philippines, never did make it back to England. Don't know why they didn't give credit to his men who actually did make it around the world.

Also Paul Revere never made the midnight ride. He spent the night in jail.

Amazing what you learn when you home school you kids instead of following the public school indoctrination.

Essentially, yet another in a long line of apologies from Obama. This is getting pathetically sad.

Why do conservatives want to hide history?

Hiding of History? Check The Democrats' history on slavery in the 1850s vs. Republicans as well as Democrats' position on Civil Rights vs. Republicans throughout the 1950s and early 60s. Uncover history and you will find that it was Republicans who drove to end slavery and pushed to get Civil Rights done. Lyndon Johnson simply punched it through the goal line.

Forum List

Back