Obama: Columbus Day a Time to ‘Reflect on Tragic Burdens Tribal Communities Bore’

:eusa_whistle:
In his presidential proclamation recognizing Columbus Day issued last week, President Barack Obama said the holiday was a day to “celebrate our heritage as people born of many histories and traditions” and a time to “reflect on the tragic burdens tribal communities bore” since the explorer arrived on the North American continent in 1492.

:confused:

And here I thought it was to celebrate the man known as Columbus. :confused:

I'm sorry you don't like historical fact.

I've always been confused about why we need to celebrate Columbus. He didn't discover anything that hadn't already been discovered. Nothing.

Sorta like why do we celebrate a made up holiday like kwansa, right? :eusa_whistle:

In his presidential proclamation recognizing Columbus Day issued last week, President Barack Obama said the holiday was a day to “celebrate our heritage as people born of many histories and traditions” and a time to “reflect on the tragic burdens tribal communities bore” since the explorer arrived on the North American continent in 1492.

Essentially, yet another in a long line of apologies from Obama. This is getting pathetically sad.

Why do conservatives want to hide history?

That's got to be from "The Onion" there's no way Obama is that much of an unAmerican scumbag.

Wow,

What a fucking slam on this country. Should we just end the country and force everyone to go home?

Is this what you people want???

The honest truth is every tribe did the same thing to each other. This is human nature. America stands for something better.

Obama is one scary sob.

Exactly. Every tribe of humans has taken another tribes land. Why is because the victors in north America happened to be white that it's such a big deal?

Do we mourn the atrocities committed by tribes against tribes prior to the tribe from Europe coming over?

Obama is a race baiting divisive disgrace.

I've always been confused about why we need to celebrate Columbus. He didn't discover anything that hadn't already been discovered. Nothing.

"Though Columbus was not the first European explorer to reach the Americas (having been preceded by the Norse expedition led by Leif Ericson in the 11th century), Columbus's voyages led to the first lasting European contact with the Americas, inaugurating a period of European exploration, conquest, and colonization that lasted for several centuries. They had, therefore, an enormous impact in the historical development of the modern Western world."

It's still Columbus Day not "celebrate and reflect on American Indian Day." :cool:

He didn't discover anything. Neither did Leif Ericson. I'm not sure what we're to "reflect" on - except perhaps the irony that opponents of affirmative action like to celebrate a guy for 'discovering' a continent that already had people on it.

Sorta like why do we celebrate a made up holiday like kwansa, right? :eusa_whistle:

What do you mean "we" ? I don't celebrate kwansa. If you do, and you don't like it, stop. Duh.

That's got to be from "The Onion" there's no way Obama is that much of an unAmerican scumbag.

I'm not sure what's unamarican about history. Perhaps you can explain that to me.

Wait, is Obama upset because he was descended from the first slaves and that Liz Warrens ancestors got moved?

What do you mean "we" ? I don't celebrate kwansa. If you do, and you don't like it, stop. Duh.

"I've always been confused about why we need to celebrate Columbus."

Apparently you don't celebrate Columbus either and you used "we".

Don't get cute with me, junior. :cool:

"If you do, and you don't like it, stop. Duh."

Last edited:
Obama bin Apologizing

Where is the apology? I don't see it. I'd hate for you to take an American history class, you'd be utterly confused as you'd think the teacher was apologizing the whole time. You seem to confuse uncomfortable history with an apology. Its probably because you lack intelligence.

Its a FEDERAL HOLIDAY genius. KWANSA is not. Your tax dollars and mine pay federal employees to NOT WORK on Columbus day.

I could name a dozen Italians more deserving of the honor of having a U.S. Federal Holiday in their honor.

I'm not sure what's unamarican about history. Perhaps you can explain that to me.

The real history is that by the time Columbus got here the Indians cultures in North, Central and South America had already been decimated by pandemics of smallpox and influenza. The American culture that Columbus "discovered" were the equivalent of Hiroshima survivors shortly after the blast. The death toll in the Americans was probably in the tens of millions.

Its a FEDERAL HOLIDAY genius. KWANSA is not. Your tax dollars and mine pay federal employees to NOT WORK on Columbus day.

I could name a dozen Italians more deserving of the honor of having a U.S. Federal Holiday in their honor.

Name them!

Essentially, yet another in a long line of apologies from Obama. This is getting pathetically sad.

Why do conservatives want to hide history?

we don't want to hide history. We just don't feel the need to apologize for it 520 years after the fact.

Name them!

I bet Mario & Luigi are on his list :eusa_whistle:

The real history is that by the time Columbus got here the Indians cultures in North, Central and South America had already been decimated by pandemics of smallpox and influenza. The American culture that Columbus "discovered" were the equivalent of Hiroshima survivors shortly after the blast. The death toll in the Americans was probably in the tens of millions.

Sure thing bud.

I'm not sure how that justifies cutting off people's hands for failing to bring you enough gold.
Ferdinand Columbus described how it worked: "[The Indians] all promised to pay tribute to the Catholic Sovereigns every three months, as follows: In the Cibao, where the gold mines were, every person of 14 years of age or upward was to pay a large hawk's bell of gold dust; all others were each to pay 25 pounds of cotton. Whenever an Indian delivered his tribute, he was to receive a brass or copper token which he must wear about his neck as proof that he had made his payment. Any Indian found without such a token was to be punished." With a fresh token, an Indian was safe for three months, much of which time would be devoted to collecting more gold. Columbus's son neglected to mention how the Spanish punished those whose tokens had expired: they cut off their hands.
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/History/Hero-making_LMTTM.html

'Tribal communities' were raiding, raping, pillaging and plundering one another long before the Euros got in on the act.

I imagine Oblamers tribal ancestors speared and roasted a few innocents in his past.

But, don't you see, Obama and people that operate as he does use selective criticism to make their points for and against certain groups.

They blame racism and slavery on the plantation states of the old south when in ACTUALITY, blacks were selling blacks as slaves in Africa hundreds of years before Columbus. Slavery is NOT a recent invention. Racism is not a construct of the white man.

Obama is a goddamned Marxist!

Forum List

Back