Obama: Columbus Day a Time to ‘Reflect on Tragic Burdens Tribal Communities Bore’

Why is the truth about history, opposed to the sanitized version we were taught in grade school, PC liberal bullshit? I don't think we should teach grade schoolers that Columbus sanctioned hunting the Natives for sport or anything but a mention of what it meant for the natives would be nice.

It's fine with me if we take it off the federal supported holiday too.

Please provide references for your assertion "Columbus sanctioned hunting the natives for sport" (as opposed to self defense). Also, are you aware that the Incas practiced CHILD sacrifice? This was documented 100 years ago but deliberately concealed because it didn't correlate with the politically correct "peaceful native" narrative.

Lies My Teacher Told Me:
Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
by James W. Loewen. Simon & Schuster, 1995.

It is well known that the Inca's and Mayan's practiced Human Sacrifice. However there were noIncas or Mayans on the island that Columbus landed on.

Are you dyslexic? It is NOT well known that the Incas and other New World "civilizations" practiced CHILD sacrifice, and you will not find it in your propagandistic textbooks.

May the peoples that never enslaved, slaughtered or fucked over another be the first to judge.

What do you want whites to do? 200 million whites live within the United states today...Do you want us all to pack our bags and head back to Europe???

You seem to hate us for doing what everyone did. I promise you that the native Americans slaughtered other tribes that got in their way. You leftist are ready to tell 200 million whites that we are the only ones. You don't live in the real world.

They forget that we've melted. Most of us have Indian blood and I don't think there are very many Indians that don't have European blood.

In his presidential proclamation recognizing Columbus Day issued last week, President Barack Obama said the holiday was a day to “celebrate our heritage as people born of many histories and traditions” and a time to “reflect on the tragic burdens tribal communities bore” since the explorer arrived on the North American continent in 1492.

:confused:

And here I thought it was to celebrate the man known as Columbus. :confused:

Welcome to 2012....where have you been hiding?

Oh, it's primarily an Italian-American holiday around here.

Wow,

What a fucking slam on this country. Should we just end the country and force everyone to go home?

Is this what you people want???

The honest truth is every tribe did the same thing to each other. This is human nature. America stands for something better.

Obama is one scary sob.

Wait....explain how pointing out the downside of Columbus and his discover slams our country (which didn't even EXIST for another almost 300 years)?

In his presidential proclamation recognizing Columbus Day issued last week, President Barack Obama said the holiday was a day to “celebrate our heritage as people born of many histories and traditions” and a time to “reflect on the tragic burdens tribal communities bore” since the explorer arrived on the North American continent in 1492.

:confused:

And here I thought it was to celebrate the man known as Columbus. :confused:

I'm sorry you don't like historical fact.

I've always been confused about why we need to celebrate Columbus. He didn't discover anything that hadn't already been discovered. Nothing.

Well bring it......what facts?

Are you saying the Vikings didn't get here first? And I believe the Native Americans knew it was here all along.....even some French/Spanish Atlantic coast fishermen knew...had been fishing the Grand Banks for centuries.

That's got to be from "The Onion" there's no way Obama is that much of an unAmerican scumbag.

I'm not sure what's unamarican about history. Perhaps you can explain that to me.

The real history is that by the time Columbus got here the Indians cultures in North, Central and South America had already been decimated by pandemics of smallpox and influenza. The American culture that Columbus "discovered" were the equivalent of Hiroshima survivors shortly after the blast. The death toll in the Americans was probably in the tens of millions.

Totally and unequivacally untrue.

The real history is that by the time Columbus got here the Indians cultures in North, Central and South America had already been decimated by pandemics of smallpox and influenza. The American culture that Columbus "discovered" were the equivalent of Hiroshima survivors shortly after the blast. The death toll in the Americans was probably in the tens of millions.

Sure thing bud.

I'm not sure how that justifies cutting off people's hands for failing to bring you enough gold.

You're confused. That was the Spanish down in Mexico.

You still think you're qualified to lecture me on history?

No, that was Columbus in the Islands.

they are just content making the white man out to be a devil intent on taking over the world.

Well, I don't have white guilt and I'm not buying the liberal bullshit. It's safe to say if you look at atrocities committed around the world, whites are in the minority as the offender.

America, as a whole, has done far more good than harm.

To start off my new Columbus Day tradition (thanks Obama the divider), I'll go with this one:

1622_massacre_jamestown_de_Bry.jpg

Indian massacre of 1622 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THe natives got tired of the white man stealing their land and their food. Can't say I blame them all that much. What would YOU have done?

they are just content making the white man out to be a devil intent on taking over the world.

Well, I don't have white guilt and I'm not buying the liberal bullshit. It's safe to say if you look at atrocities committed around the world, whites are in the minority as the offender.

To start off my new Columbus Day tradition (thanks Obama the divider), I'll go with this one:

THe natives got tired of the white man stealing their land and their food. Can't say I blame them all that much. What would YOU have done?

the indian was killing the indian long before the white man got there, try not to make saints out of sinners.

I think some posters here have not gotten mentally and emotionally past:

Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue
In fourteen hundred ninety two
For many weeks he was at sea
In sailing ships that numbered three.

the indian was killing the indian long before the white man got there, try not to make saints out of sinners.

Yes, territorial fights over hunting lands, food supplies, and slaves...but not anywhere the numbers that they were slaughtered by white men.

Yes, territorial fights over hunting lands, food supplies, and slaves...but not anywhere the numbers that they were slaughtered by white men.

Tough shit, they were conquered.

Tough shit, they were conquered.
Yes they were...and that happens...but near genocide is not something to celebrate, IMO....you may disagree.

Forum List

Back