Obama: 'Chicago Is an Example of What Makes This Country Great'

beretta304

Rookie
Aug 13, 2012
A Saner Place
In campaign remarks yesterday at the Bridgeport Art Center in Chicago, Illinois, President Barack Obama praised his adopted city, where he lived before becoming president of the United States. "Chicago is an example of what makes this country great," Obama said. His audience applauded.

Barack Obama meets with, from left, James Jones, Rahm Emanuel, and Tom Donilon.

President Obama's proof for his assertion? The donors in the room, who had given to his reelection campaign. "Witness this room," Obama said. And he elaborated: "[W]e've got everything we need to make things work here in America. We still have the best workers in the world. (Applause.) We've still got the best entrepreneurs in the world. We've got the best colleges, the best universities, the best scientists, the best researchers. We're a young nation, and we've got the greatest diversity of talent and ingenuity from every corner of the globe."

But what President Obama did not address is Chicago's homicide rate, one of the highest in the nation.

"[M]ore Chicago residents -- 228 -- have been killed so far this year in the city than the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan - 144 -- over the same period," the Huffington Post noted in June.

"The war zone-like statistics are not new. As WBEZ reports, while some 2,000 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, more than 5,000 people have been killed by gun fire in Chicago during that time, based on Department of Defense and FBI data. Chicago's murder rate is also currently quadruple that of New York and double Los Angeles' rate."

CBS blames Chicago's crime statistics on gang violence:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-chicago-example-what-makes-country-great_649896.html

A bunch of dead kids is a small price to pay for the great economic policies of the city. If we banned guns, those kids wouldn't be dead. The NRA is responsible for every single murder ever, not just in Chicago, but in the whole country.

• Banned
A bunch of dead kids is a small price to pay for the great economic policies of the city. If we banned guns, those kids wouldn't be dead. The NRA is responsible for every single murder ever, not just in Chicago, but in the whole country.

"The NRA is responsible for every single murder ever, not just in Chicago, but in the whole country."

Not all murderers use guns and the NRA doesn't pull the trigger or has it ever given illegally obtained guns to killers.

Kumbaya!

Yea,gottcha obama,we hear you man...... $3562723908.gif

$10_1o025_gasparinoc--300x300.jpg

$120212-athens-hmed-12p_grid-6x2.jpg

Last edited:

"The NRA is responsible for every single murder ever, not just in Chicago, but in the whole country."

Not all murderers use guns and the NRA doesn't pull the trigger or has it ever given illegally obtained guns to killers.

Kumbaya!
The NRA has knives at their annual convention to, so they're also responsible for any murders committed with knives. If we had sensible gun control laws like China, we wouldn't have as much crime.

In campaign remarks yesterday at the Bridgeport Art Center in Chicago, Illinois, President Barack Obama praised his adopted city, where he lived before becoming president of the United States. "Chicago is an example of what makes this country great," Obama said. His audience applauded.

President Obama's proof for his assertion? The donors in the room, who had given to his reelection campaign. "Witness this room," Obama said. And he elaborated: "[W]e've got everything we need to make things work here in America. We still have the best workers in the world. (Applause.) We've still got the best entrepreneurs in the world. We've got the best colleges, the best universities, the best scientists, the best researchers. We're a young nation, and we've got the greatest diversity of talent and ingenuity from every corner of the globe."

But what President Obama did not address is Chicago's homicide rate, one of the highest in the nation.

"[M]ore Chicago residents -- 228 -- have been killed so far this year in the city than the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan - 144 -- over the same period," the Huffington Post noted in June.

"The war zone-like statistics are not new. As WBEZ reports, while some 2,000 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, more than 5,000 people have been killed by gun fire in Chicago during that time, based on Department of Defense and FBI data. Chicago's murder rate is also currently quadruple that of New York and double Los Angeles' rate."

Obama: 'Chicago Is an Example of What Makes This Country Great' | The Weekly Standard

Love your war zone stats. Too fucking funny. Kinda stupid but funny.

• Banned

Kumbaya!
The NRA has knives at their annual convention to, so they're also responsible for any murders committed with knives. If we had sensible gun control laws like China, we wouldn't have as much crime.

Contact Travelocity:Travelocity Travel: Cheap Airline Tickets, Hotels, Flights, Vacations, Cruises & Car Rentals | Travelocity

Bet you get a deal on a ticket for the next flight to China.

• Banned

Obama: 'Chicago Is an Example of What Makes This Country Great' | The Weekly Standard

You must be blind 'cause they aren't "my" stats.

You posted it. Well copy and paste..... Do you not read the information you post?

Last edited:

Ummm... no.

Many of those people died for our economic and puritan beliefs. If current drug laws were repealed, lawful manufacture would take the place of illegal smuggling and street sales. The huge rate of return which draws these folks into gangs in the first place would be greatly diminished.

Drugs are banned - yet I can buy whatever I want in under an hour. What makes you think that banning guns would make any difference whatsoever?

Kumbaya!

Not quite true. If we had crime control like they do in China we wouldn't have much crime. They make a profit from the families they bill for the bullet.

Ummm... no.

Many of those people died for our economic and puritan beliefs. If current drug laws were repealed, lawful manufacture would take the place of illegal smuggling and street sales. The huge rate of return which draws these folks into gangs in the first place would be greatly diminished.

Drugs are banned - yet I can buy whatever I want in under an hour. What makes you think that banning guns would make any difference whatsoever?

"Drugs are banned - yet I can buy whatever I want in under an hour."

Ditto that! Take pot for example. I can get it between T.V. Commercials.

Chicago like any other city has its drawbacks but it's a fantastic city.

You posted it. Well copy and paste..... Do you not read the information you post?

Yeah I do, so what's your point? It was contained in the article. Want me to edit articles and be dishonest?

My point is that comparing 2000 US occupation troop deaths in Afghanistan to the civilian death in Chicago is stupid. Makes the article look like a disingenuous attack piece.

Yeah I do, so what's your point? It was contained in the article. Want me to edit articles and be dishonest?

My point is that comparing 2000 US occupation troop deaths in Afghanistan to the civilian death in Chicago is stupid. Makes the article look like a disingenuous attack piece.

I can agree with that but trying to make it sound like it was my doing that it was part of the article just because I posted it is a bit of a stretch.

Forum List

Back