Obama Campaigned In Church

the fact is: candiates from both parties have attended services and given speeches in churches for a long long time, and the ACLU has NEVER complained once about any of them.

it is only when preachers campaign from their pulpits that anyone has a problem.

the fact is: candiates from both parties have attended services and given speeches in churches for a long long time, and the ACLU has NEVER complained once about any of them.

it is only when preachers campaign from their pulpits that anyone has a problem.

Because they tilt right - and libs do not like that

So where was the outrage when Sharpton and Jackson preach from the pulpit?

Oh, they preach liberalsim - no problem there

But the point is that you said the ACLU won't complain about Obama campaigning in a church because he's a Democrat.

But, the ACLU doesn't complain when a Republican candidate campaigns in a church...so what is your point? Or are you just rambling talking points again?

are you talking about when they were candidates?

or are you suggesting that any preacher who preaches anything that reflects the views of any political party is breaking the law?

I have no problem with conservative preachers preaching the gospel and relating it to conservative political philosophy....I just have a problem with any preacher - liberal or conservative - campaigning for any political candidates from the pulpit.

are you talking about when they were candidates?

or are you suggesting that any preacher who preaches anything that reflects the views of any political party is breaking the law?

I have no problem with conservative preachers preaching the gospel and relating it to conservative political philosophy....I just have a problem with any preacher - liberal or conservative - campaigning for any political candidates from the pulpit.

Shapton and Jackson do exactly that

They preach then they endorse candidates and tell the crowd to vote for the Dem

To you, that is not a problem

However when the Preacher tells the crowd to vote for a Republican............

Shapton and Jackson do exactly that

They preach then they endorse candidates and tell the crowd to vote for the Dem

To you, that is not a problem

However when the Preacher tells the crowd to vote for a Republican............

when a preacher tells a crowd in a park to support a candidate, I have no problem whatsoever.... democrat OR republican. When a preacher - from the pulpit - tells a congregation in a church gathered for worship to support a candidate, I think that is inappropriate for either party.

when a preacher tells a crowd in a park to support a candidate, I have no problem whatsoever.... democrat OR republican. When a preacher - from the pulpit - tells a congregation in a church gathered for worship to support a candidate, I think that is inappropriate for either party.

But libs and their groups give the Dems a pass

Nothing new about the usual double standards libs live by

I love how RSR ignores me...Please answer the question...

But the point is that you said the ACLU won't complain about Obama campaigning in a church because he's a Democrat.

But, the ACLU doesn't complain when a Republican candidate campaigns in a church...so what is your point? Or are you just rambling talking points again?

Pointing out the double standards of the liberal media and their attack groups

your saying there is a double standard and there actually BEING a double standard are clearly two different things.

Preachers who campaign from the pulpit during worship service are wrong. Preachers who campaign from the soap box in the public square are well within their rights.

I don't have an issue with candidates campaigning in churches. They are forums in which candidates may address constituents - no different than a union hall, imo.

What does concern me is that he uses his Senate Office to hold campaign meetings. That is an abuse of taxpayer resources.

I don't have an issue with candidates campaigning in churches. They are forums in which candidates may address constituents - no different than a union hall, imo.

What does concern me is that he uses his Senate Office to hold campaign meetings. That is an abuse of taxpayer resources.

start a thread about it then

Interesting, no?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0705050791may06,1,2703032.story

Democrats find religion on campaign trail
GOP seems to be avoiding talk of faith
Advertisement

By Mike Dorning
Washington Bureau

May 6, 2007

WASHINGTON -- This time it may be the Democrats who are getting religion.

Former Sen. John Edwards invoked "My Lord" in the first Democratic presidential debate when asked about moral influences on his life. At a campaign event on the day of the Virginia Tech massacre, he offered a prayer and -- in a pointed break from Democratic candidates' usual wariness of offending religious minorities -- closed with the words "in Christ's name."

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) comfortably works in references to his faith at public appearances. Even before his presidential candidacy, he gave a well-received speech arguing for a greater role for religion in politics and cultivated relationships with influential church leaders, including mega-church pastor and best-selling author Rick Warren.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) included a paragraph about faith in the official biography on her campaign Web site. And in her Senate re-election campaign last year, she drew notice in the New York press for wearing a cross at some public events.

Reversing recent political history, it's the leading Republican candidates who for various reasons have so far been reluctant to speak too much about matters of faith.

Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, a divorced Catholic, holds liberal views on abortion and gay rights. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a divorced Episcopalian, has a tense relationship with leaders of the Religious Right. And former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is a devout Mormon whose religion arouses suspicion among many evangelicals.

"Give the advantage to the Democrats at this point," said Rich Cizik, vice president for governmental affairs for the National Association of Evangelicals. "You would have to conclude that the Democrats have a lot more interest in faith than the Republicans based on what they've had to say."

Obama and Clinton both have full-time staffers and Edwards an aide working part time to reach out to religious leaders for political support. The Democrats' 2004 presidential nominee, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), did not start a religious outreach operation until the general election was well under way and did not give a speech on faith until nine days before the election.

"It's almost a 180-degree difference from the Kerry campaign," said Mara Vanderslice, who was director of religious outreach for Kerry and now works as a consultant to Democratic candidates on engaging religious voters. She is not currently working for a presidential campaign, she said.

All three of the leading Democratic candidates are scheduled to appear next month at a forum on faith and values sponsored by Sojourners/Call to Renewal, a liberal evangelical group that concentrates on anti-poverty issues. Religious leaders will question the candidates on their moral beliefs and how they shape their public policy views, said Rev. Jim Wallis, the group's president.

The shift in interest is partly due to the mix of candidates in the current presidential campaign. Clinton, a Methodist, and Edwards, a Baptist, both had strong religious upbringings. Though raised in a secular household, Obama converted as an adult at Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago's South Side.

But the focus on faith also reflects political realities. Many Democratic political professionals believe the party's candidates need to do a better a job of showing a clear moral vision and connecting with religious voters.

Most wouldn't elect atheist

Faith has long had a role in American politics
. Surveys over the years have regularly found that a majority of the country would not vote for an atheist as president. A 2004 poll co-sponsored by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life found that nearly 70 percent of Americans felt it was important for a president to have "strong religious beliefs."

The last two Democrats elected to the presidency were comfortable speaking about their faith. Jimmy Carter's status as a "born-again" Christian was the subject of much discussion during his campaign. A Baptist by upbringing and a regular churchgoer, Bill Clinton was at ease quoting Scripture and appearing in religious settings.

But by the 1990s, Clinton was the exception. Expressions of faith were rare at campaign events for Democratic candidates. And the party's last two presidential candidates, Kerry and Al Gore, rarely spoke of their religious beliefs in their campaigns.

"I think, generically speaking, Democrats were reluctant to speak about their faith," said former Rep. David Bonior (D-Mich.), now Edwards' campaign manager. "There was a feeling that the separation [between church and state] should be such that you really shouldn't even talk about it. I think we went too far."

Expressions of faith can be more politically tricky for Democrats than Republicans because their party includes more secular voters and more members of religious minorities, such as Jews and Muslims.

But party leaders were alarmed by the 2004 election returns. The Democrats narrowly lost the presidential election, and one big reason was massive support for Republicans among the large portion of voters who regularly attend religious services. In a close election, even a slight gain in support from such a sizable group could swing the outcome.

A series of internal polls by the Democratic National Committee during the next year concluded that about half the electorate places as much or more weight on their own religious faith as they do on conventional issues in casting their votes. The same polling suggested that many of those "faith voters" were not primarily motivated by such hot-button social issues as abortion or gay marriage but mainly were looking for a clear moral vision from candidates.....

it is only "interesting" if one operates under the incorrect assumption that democrats are all heathens.

I see absolutely nothing odd about democrats speaking about their faith.

it is only "interesting" if one operates under the incorrect assumption that democrats are all heathens.

I see absolutely nothing odd about democrats speaking about their faith.

So in the past they were just reluctant to speak about, now they feel it's ok?

Forum List

Back